Poll results: How big is big enough (displays)
- (June 2011) What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?
123 votes (123 votes) Less than 3.5 inches – The smaller, the better. Navigation is easy and the smartphone fits nicely in the smallest of pockets.
1253 votes (1253 votes) Between 3.5 inches and 3.99 inches – Small enough to use with ease, yet big enough to read fine text.
1612 votes (1612 votes) Between 4.0 inches and 4.29 inches – The extra real estate proves useful when viewing photos and videos.
988 votes (988 votes) 4.3 inches and above – No display is too big for my hands.
- (January 2014) What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?
49 votes (49 votes) 3.99'' and under
640 votes (640 votes) 4'' to 4.49''
1547 votes (1547 votes) 4.5'' to 4.99''
1144 votes (1144 votes) 5'' to 5.49''
511 votes (511 votes) 5.5'' to 5.99''
229 votes (229 votes) 6'' and above
1. emadshiny (Posts: 997; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
This is how tech giants change our taste and way of thinking.
3. tech2 (Posts: 1130; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Its not tech giants, its how these surveys are made. Read my comment #2
6. emadshiny (Posts: 997; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
That is exactly what i said; you cant deny the influence of these trends upon the minds of users. Just take a look at Note series as a major example.
14. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Well, once we reach the physical limits of phone design, I would choose 5" to 5.49". As of right now, 4.5" to 4.99" it is. I've used the Note 2. It's awesome. But it's wayy tooo big. 5" 16:9 display with as small bezels as possible is ideal for me.
17. rossumentum (Posts: 44; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
it isn't based on their thinking it is based on user preferences... We all want larger screens to they will continue to make them. This guy knows nothing about business thinking we buy things we don't want just because a manufacturer says so. I hope your arn't so dumb or close minded to think this.
2. tech2 (Posts: 1130; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
This recent survey seems more credible since its not influenced by words.
For e.g. InJune 2011 polls, against 4.3 they say 'No display is too big for my hands'. That statement right there influences poll participants that theirs hands are too big and thereby are less likely to chose them.
Also, 4.0-4.29 - statement projects itself as the ideal size.
No offence intended but just something to keep in mind when creating a bias-free poll (which is a very difficult task in itself)
4. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1883; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Hahaha... As time progresses, these things happens but now I don't think so that people will like more bigger displays and I think it would be limited to 4.5" - 5.99".
Sammy created this trend with the Note. 4.7" - 5.2" should be perfectly fine IMO.
9. androiphone20 (Posts: 943; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I have no problem with a 4" display and I am willing to go as far up as 4.99 and that's it. My tablet would have to take up the rest, NO in-between
10. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 452; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I'm okay with any display size, as long as performance can keep up with it
11. alterecho (Posts: 740; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Thats an amazing comparison of data from polls over a long duration. Great job, Phonearena.
21. rossumentum (Posts: 44; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
definitely! phone arena needs to do this again in 2 years and show the results of all 3 polls then. I'm guessing the most popular size then will be 5.5" to 5.99"
12. tedkord (Posts: 3778; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
My friend at work just went from the iPhone to the Note 3. His biggest concern was size, but he's really happy with it. He used to say the GS3 was too big. People only think they can't use a bigger screen until they actually use one.
18. rossumentum (Posts: 44; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
exactly what I have been telling everyone
13. ianneo (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)
I just bought a Galaxy Mega 6.3 and for me its perfect IMO. Really easy to get used to.
15. loveHEAVYMETAL (Posts: 46; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
current using a 5.3" device(lenovo s920,bezel quite big haha,still slightly bigger than 5.5" lg g pro...),can easily operates with one hand, every thing below 6" is ok if the bezel is slim enough, 4" is too small(cough... iphone caugh....)
19. rossumentum (Posts: 44; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
i believe 5.5" to 6.4" will be the end and final sizes that phones become and are purchased.
20. surethom (Posts: 146; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
The majority prefer 4.5'' to 4.99'' so why are most companies launching flagship phone in 5.2" or bigger only!!!! a phone with a screen zise over 4.9 is no longer 1 hand friendly & that will never change.
22. rossumentum (Posts: 44; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
because it is continuing to increase and change over time. future is 5.5 to 6.4 inch screens. if you can't see that you are just as dumb as people in 2011 that though 3.5 to 4.0 inch screens were the future. Look at the trends of the polls. If you are this bad at looking forward and predicting the future i would hate to see how you have done in the stock market
24. MarkArigayo (Posts: 115; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
For me somewhere between 5.2 and 6.0 inch. The thinner the bezel, the better it would be.
25. adecvat (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Bored of my 5.5". My next device will be less than 4.5"
26. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 202; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Let me remind you that human beings didnt evolve in these two years so that thier fingers are suddenly bigger. Its just pure marketing and brainwashing for people to think anything above 5" is normal and ok to be a smartphone. Unless your hands are big which in most cases arent.
27. kindlefireowner (Posts: 275; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I still think the Samsung S3 was the perfect size.
28. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 770; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
"But just how massive of a change are we talking here? Well, two and a half years ago, nearly 35% of voters said they prefer smartphones with screens less than 3.99''."
Nice spin, and 65% preferred something 4" or bigger back then. Its amazing what happens to the market when companies push the boundaries of screen size.
30. Neo_Huang (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
6 inch for me. (Vivo Xplay 3s for the win)