Nexus 4 launch is a failure for Google Play
1. thephoneguy92 posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:27 31 3
Psh, if you don't like server errors, I hope you were not a Halo fan on the day of release.
79. thephoneguy92 posted on 13 Nov 2012, 14:11 3 0
Actually, I played Black Ops 2 a bit before work today, and I didn't have any issues. Although I am completely expecting some type of server issues, there always are some, regardless of the game.
151. Nadr1212 posted on 13 Nov 2012, 21:45 0 5
"Google FAIL", matches perfectly with this type of news!!
7. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:34 27 6
As I said in the article, the server errors were expected, the phone disappearing from the shopping cart was the real kick in the nuts.
15. crankyd00d posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:46 3 0
Yes! And I would say the kicking was done by a horse >.<
I'm so annoyed I camped the PC like a retard to have the freaking thing erased from my cart several times and end up with nothing but wasted time.
GOOGLE seriously, I cannot believe that Apple beats you on freaking server infrastructure, stop screwing up launches, you got a prefect score right now!, I mean every single device launch has sucked
125. KaiTech posted on 13 Nov 2012, 16:26 0 0
Check your Google Wallet account at wallet.google.com
I found a pending transaction, even though I got kicked out 3 times like everyone.
Just got an email confirmation 2x Nexus 4's on the way. :P
127. crankyd00d posted on 13 Nov 2012, 16:40 0 0
Awesome congrats! I also got to order a Nex4 and Nex10 with the F5+turbo technique haha. Says shipping by Nov 15th :)
130. KaiTech posted on 13 Nov 2012, 16:59 0 0
Mine said you will not be charged until order has shipped...I've been charged... :)
154. remixfa posted on 13 Nov 2012, 23:03 1 0
dont get too exited, its just a hold on your money.. its still there. go check your confirmation email, it has a status link in it. 99% chance the last update was "order received".
it will ship in the morning and be here thur probably.
21. fervid posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:50 2 0
You must have never tried to buy a BagOfCrap from Woot then...I have had 3-4 actually in my cart after thousands of clicks to buy and had them go away.
66. Reluctant_Human posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:50 0 0
I've been trying to get the BOC for years with no luck.
26. PhenomFaz posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:53 6 3
stop complaining PA! Nexus 4 demand is through the roof so get in line
29. Synack posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:55 2 2
42. TROLL posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:07 1 3
53. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:33 10 0
The point is that I wasn't just in line, I had the item in my shopping cart, and went through the entire checkout process before it crashed and the phone disappeared.
Demand is one thing, a broken store is another completely.
81. bolaG posted on 13 Nov 2012, 14:14 2 7
Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get OVER IT.
Man have you ever tried getting on of the lightning deals on Amazon during the black friday sales?
That s**t would be in my shopping cart ordered and confirm to then be gone and out of stock. All without notice.
So yeah buuuhuuu
92. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Nov 2012, 14:40 8 1
I've never had that problem with Amazon. The worst I can say about Black Friday deals is that they have been stolen off of my front porch on delivery, but Amazon quickly replaced them.
88. Hemlocke posted on 13 Nov 2012, 14:36 2 0
Yeah, it is so frustrating to get to the end of the line (I had two 16GB and a bumper), and click that LAST button to authorize payment, and away it all goes, never to be seen again.
167. PhenomFaz posted on 15 Nov 2012, 08:23 1 1
The play store goes down just once and you have to ublish an article about it....please that thing is functional every time I log on....no takers sorry man :)
168. MichaelHeller posted on 15 Nov 2012, 10:32 0 0
That one time was a pretty big time
169. PhenomFaz posted on 15 Nov 2012, 11:40 0 0
Nah not really...and the device is available through a lot of retailers too
170. MichaelHeller posted on 15 Nov 2012, 11:53 0 0
Google Play is the exclusive retailer for the Nexus 4 right now. The only other "retailers" that have it are the ones selling it second hand for $600
117. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 13 Nov 2012, 15:29 1 1
I got halo 4 the day it came out and had no issues with the servers
160. Jonathan41 posted on 14 Nov 2012, 05:24 0 0
I know tons of people were online but, I had no problems with the Halo 4 servers on launch day. Awesome game.
171. pookiewood posted on 23 Nov 2012, 10:21 0 0
I'm an XBOX fan but isn't that why there is XBOX Live for premium service? Sounds more like a Ripoff if you ask me.
2. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:28 7 17
No LTE is a fail for the Google Nexus 4. I am sorry but when I get the Samsung Galaxy Note II & root that BEAST it will become 1000 times better than Google's Nexus 4. So no thanks Google, your Nexus 4 is a fail in more ways than its launch.
32. Synack posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:57 2 0
I agree with most of your comments most of the time but you clearly don't know a damn thing about 42mbps HSPA+. It's almost as good as LTE. And your battery won't get raped. Google did the smart thing. Verizon and Sprint customers will just have to deal with it. Google doesn't want to deal with Verizon's bulls**t.
36. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:02 0 0
Almost? It is as good, maybe even better than LTE. I'll take the battery friendlier HSPA+ any day.
And the bottom line, CDMA just needs to die already. GSM is the world standard, get with it.
37. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:02 1 1
I am going to plus you 1, because you said the magic words.
"It's almost as good as LTE." I am spoiled with Verizon's 4G LTE anything else is just sup par. What kills me is why on Earth can't they release a 4G LTE Nexus 4? They did it once so why can't they do it again? That really stings to me.
I was so totally waiting for the Nexus 4 to come out on the best carrier in the USA. I am so disappointed. :-(
100. Droid_X_Doug posted on 13 Nov 2012, 14:53 1 0
I just checked the pre-order status for my VZW Note II and it ships 11/19.... Woohoo!!!! I was thinking of a Nexus 4, but with the broken Play store, no LTE and my Note II shipping on the 19th, I am glad I pre-ordered the Note II.
107. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 13 Nov 2012, 15:11 0 1
NIce I am right with you. 11/19 is SUPER close.
110. remixfa posted on 13 Nov 2012, 15:15 1 0
I finally got the chance to play with on IRL. Go to tmobile and play with it. Its fantastic, smooth, and packed with crap that all works.
If the N4 wasnt so much cheaper, I would have just stomached the size of the Note2 and gotten it. That said, that mofo is WAY too big. lol.
But peeps are right.. I played with it for like 10 mins in the store then went to the SGS3 to get a feel for "4.7 inch screens".. it felt positively small after getting use to the gargantuan Note2.
4. dhawaldamania posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:32 1 3
If you can't handle the sales of that calibre .. why not sell it on the Apple website #PlayStoreFail
5. vandroid posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:33 2 1
Maybe there was so much web traffic for pre orders that those failed attempts were the result
19. buccob posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:49 2 0
And having to redo the whole putting phone on the virtual cart is waaaaay more tolerable than standing in line outside of an Apple store...
123. vandroid posted on 13 Nov 2012, 16:13 0 0
I'd rather wait on line for bb10 instead of waiting on a line for an iPhone just for the fact that it wouldn't be the same as last year
6. BadAssAbe posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:34 2 0
Everyone please wait untill a good case for the Nexus 4 is available before buying.
Its always better to have a case and not need it,
to need a case and not have one on.
To the lucky few who got one, make sure to get that bumper unless u live in a carpeted world :-)
8. chronopc posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:37 2 1
PA just sounds bitter. They had a limited supply and not everyone was able to get one. Welcome to life. The experience you just went through is one that is similar for all products that are very popular. Just wait till there are more in stock and stop whiny. It's not the end of the world if you don't have things right when they come out. I promise you, the sun will still rise tomorrow.
14. Rydsmith posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:45 2 0
Though the big difference is that Google's inability to have a proper infrastructure for a highly publicized phone caused for this to happen in the first place, and to be honest is quite unacceptable from a "tech giant."
An item being sold out is perfectly fine, especially one with such limited supply, but an item disappearing from your cart when you're giving sensitive information such as card numbers, now that is unacceptable and should never happen in the first place.
22. crankyd00d posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:50 1 0
That's the point, that Google would be worse than Apple on getting the infrastructure ready, Google being a freaking search/email/social/etc. services company, it really is unbelievable that Google could screw this up, there should be NOBODY in the WORLD better than them in handling traffic
57. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:37 0 0
As I said in the article, yes I am bitter. Not because of the limited supply and the crazy demand, that was expected.
I'm bitter because I had the item in my shopping cart *multiple times*, and went through the entire checkout process before the site crashed and I lost the phone.
The problem isn't the limited supply, the problem is that I had gotten one of the limited supply and then it disappeared because Google's servers couldn't handle it.
68. TROLL posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:51 0 0
Micheal H nice article as always! So you already have the N4, given by Google for reviews, atleast you have played around with it. It was a sever mistake, are you not patient to await for next stock? Also have you tried Rooting this phone? I'm running JB4.1.2.....?
93. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Nov 2012, 14:41 1 0
I don't do hardware reviews, so I don't have an N4.
9. Sakeem posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:38 4 0
Failure is such a harsh statement here. Obviously the servers were overloaded due to the excitement of wanting to buy the device. It happens. Did they expect this, who knows. Should they have, maybe. I would say yes actually. But this was the only way to purchase the device, so i am not surprised this happened. I'm not a google defender before any flames me. I just hope now they learn from this and take the necessary steps to guard against it happening again.
11. wando77 posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:43 3 0
This sounds like a lame attempt by PA to score a free nexus 4
12. kabel posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:44 1 0
At 12:25 Central Time i was able to purchase Nexus 4 16 GB, so they are not out of stock yet, they just have bad purchase system.
13. kabel posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:45 1 0
and another one for my wife (16 GB) at 12:45 Central Time
20. eisenbricher posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:50 0 0
of course if they have any devices left in stock.
- angry nokia fanboy from India.
Still not a single word on launch of 920 here, in their 'most imp' market :(
24. ReddD posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:52 0 0
ha ha sounds like Google just got themselves a lotto machine by accident :-P
28. BadAssAbe posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:54 1 0
I dont think there is a way to stop things like form happening,
Anonymous uses the tactics to bring down many big companys MS, FBI, Sony and Even Google.
Very simple but effective
Same thing happens with any big video games
30. guosheng posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:55 0 0
That was the exact 1-hour-horror I went through this morning with empty hands. It seemed that there were automated programs from bigger buyers beat me every single time. As it was said "should be the end of battle" once I was proceeding with my order. Suck!!
34. alpha2035 posted on 13 Nov 2012, 12:58 0 0
you should see trying to get a nexus 7 I got the same problem took me almost 1 1/2 hrs till success..=)
39. gallitoking posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:05 0 1
the Nexus out of stock??? thats a page righ out of the Apple playbook
43. McLTE posted on 13 Nov 2012, 13:09 2 1
Wait.. doesn't this mean that the Nexus 4 launch is an epic success???
In a round about way.. this is kind of a good thing, TONS of attention and people wanting the phone badly.
It's too bad so many are experiencing issues.. that'll get hammered out soon and people will get their phones.
I'd hardly call the phone launch a failure.. when I read headlines like this, I expect to read about how the PHONE failed.. not the servers.