New high-quality Galaxy Alpha photos give the best look at Samsung's metal-clad iPhone 6 adversary
Although most of this is floating in the rumor sphere at this point, the photo evidence of the Galaxy Alpha grows stronger and indisputable as its early Fall reveal approaches. Today, we present you with the best photos of the handset to have emerged so far. Supposedly, they depict a production unit that's ready to go into consumers' hands. Either way, they leave nothing to the imagination.
17. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Only on the sides guys. Only on the sides. And this looks a lot like a galaxy s2.
43. techjunk (Posts: 5; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Agreed..its only on the sides...
I tested this phone at a market research office and the only difference is it 'feels more solid'. As far as specs go (besides the processor - if rumors of true about an octa core) they aren't as good as the S5.
Samsung, like all companies, want to make profit. So they up the premium feel and down the internals to keep price down and profit high.
I'm keeping my S5.
46. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
So are you telling me that you have seen this phone in person? And that you have had some hands on time with it? Lucky you!
50. techjunk (Posts: 5; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Yup. It wasn't as polished as the pics tho. And the black color variant. The back cover was still a perforated fake leather.
59. Krjal (Posts: 64; Member since: 19 Dec 2013)
The sides look great, yes, but that dotty kid's wallpaper pattern on the front kills it for me. I really hope it's not there on the black one as they did with the s5.
63. JohnZimmerman (Posts: 12; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
You do know that you can put any wallpaper you want on your phone, right?
2. karamelakimo (Posts: 57; Member since: 26 May 2014)
Seems not bad as plastic
It will be a great move for sam although I don't like it
36. LikeMyself (Posts: 286; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Looks like my S2! Samsung can't stop copying, even itself! Apple needs to kill this one, seriously looks like iPhone especially the sides! When will Samsung ever create a beautiful phone on its own? Except the gorgeous Note 3 and S2, Sammy never created something aspiring! The HTC One M8 is so comfortable to hold and sexy to look!
With this Samsung wants to start war with Apple! Same 4.7" screen, but with lower quality screen, identical sides! What's wrong with Samsung! Broke my hopes! I can almost guarantee that this is fake! It looks too much like an iPhone/iCr@p!
40. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1064; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
its all rumors could be 1080 with 3gb ram 32 internal i would buy that now and resing contract
3. sriuslywtf (Posts: 262; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Not bad.. But, not ground breaking..I mean the specs are not to be proud since other than the built quality, its a downgraded S5.
If they offer this for a lesser pricepoint than S5 then i'm sold..
I think its a slap to apples Iphone since they both have almost the same spec but in lesser price.
21. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 383; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
I don't think this phone will even convince a single iPhone user to switch to Samsung. The design does not look elegant at all (the hughe camera module on the back for example). Samsung design is cold and without love. It looks like as a machine designs another machine.
4. Veigald (Posts: 239; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Samsung could make this out of gold and it would still look like cheap plastic. Incredible how bad their designs are.
33. diehardnokian (Posts: 54; Member since: 27 Apr 2014)
exactly! looks just like a blown up galaxy ace
5. aries.phills (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Wow! This is lovely. OMG!
Why have they waited so long to pull this through. I mean, this is clearly a winning formula.
34. cezarepc (Posts: 575; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
You mean, "OMG! Samsung haven't learned a thing with their Billion Dollar Lawsuit!" smh
38. pulkit1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
i am pretty sure you are being sarcastic . But i am still confused .lol
6. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Best looking Galaxy phone? That may be, but it's still the ugliest phone compared to every other phone on the market. Ever.
So, their strategy to fight the iPhone is to underspec the phone? Let's make it as lame as iPhone if that's what people want. Let's see how that works for them...
20. sriuslywtf (Posts: 262; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Sir, I respect your opinion.. But haven't you seen the Kyocera Brigadier?
I mean the ugliest? really? Im not saying I have style but I take this better than Kyocera or Vertu.. IMHO
31. wildfiregt (Posts: 97; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
There's only phone arena who says that this phone is meant to compete the iphone
well it's not even Samsung's flagship
35. rd_nest (Posts: 770; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Apart from scree, how is it under spec'ed?
45. pulkit1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
but that lame iPhone is doing pretty well.
7. skyline88 (Posts: 329; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
sorry to say, Note 3 and S4 looks better than this even though different materials used.
this is almost as ugly as S5 and those crappy iJunks.
64. JohnZimmerman (Posts: 12; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
Agreed. But I don't think any phone on the market really stands out appearance-wise. I would love to design a phone, putting emphasis on symmetry, innovative notification lighting (maybe surrounding the sides), laser-cut titanium buttons, etc...
I think S5, iPhone 5s, One M8, etc., all need a makeover.
But I don't buy phones for appearance. This "Alpha" phone may turn out to be a good buy for mid-range phone shoppers.
10. Cicero (Posts: 404; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
It's a good looking one. Especially on the sides. And for people which are complaining about specs I think this one will be marketed for mass. The only downgrade it is the 720p screen, but don't forget it is a 4.8 inch screen. And if this one will be from the new generation of samoled will be a gorgeous one. A smart move from Samsung. For tech one's Note 4 is coming and for sure will be changed one.
12. dickwyn (Posts: 596; Member since: 07 May 2012)
waiting to see PA's iPhone 6 vs Galaxy Alpha comparison...
13. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 488; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
lol like it bcuze its looking like my s2 ( exactly same ). I always want s2 with hd screen , my dream comes to true
14. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4069; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Doesn't look that bad. The design reminds me of the Galaxy S2, which was my all time favorite Galaxy device. But I don't like the look of the heartbeat sensor on the back, it looks like they tried to put a dual LED flash on it and the second one fell off.
15. networkdood (Posts: 6274; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
It looks like a mini Coolpad 9976a...
58. PorkyBurger (Posts: 230; Member since: 18 May 2013)
lol, what is it with you and your Coolpad.
Everything looks like your 9976a.
62. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
...Or maybe your Coolpad looks like a Samsung phone.
19. Iodine (Posts: 436; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
No it's the SAMUNG GALAXY S2 ADVANCED LITE PLUS with HD AMOLED.
Or if we get rid of that outdated S2 just SAMSUNG GALAXY ALPHA.
23. nebsif (Posts: 37; Member since: 27 Jul 2014)
more bezel and less ppi pls, would recommend 10/10. :/
24. wando77 (Posts: 299; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Top and bottom bezel = massive. Love my note 3 but try again with this samsung.
Please. Sorry. Note 3 with metal frame would be super nice as I like the front and back but chrome effect chips off too easily
26. lpratas (Posts: 102; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Exynos 5433 it is a 64 bit chipset and the graphics aren't Mali T628 but yes Mali T760 of unknown configuration and frequency.
27. Iodine (Posts: 436; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Or it's just an exynos 5422 which uses mali 628.
28. givemespecs (unregistered)
29. givemespecs (unregistered)
Samsung needs to poach some designers from HTC, because their designers are stuck in a time warp.
30. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Oh my! That doesn't look as good as I was hoping. SS really needs to get a grip on their designs. I know they sell very well and all but damn that's a bad design
32. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1129; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I really like the chamfered metal edges on that iPhone...err, Galaxy.
37. Honestcritic (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
The bezels are too big! On both this phone and S5, that's taking a step back..
41. TechDork (Posts: 238; Member since: 10 May 2010)
Android phones just come out too fast. They don't even let a model sink in before announcing a newer one & they're all starting to look the same. Flip phones had more design than Androids nowadays.
60. tg1088 (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 Apr 2014)
The Galaxy and Note series are released about 6-8 months apart from each other, with Samsung's low-midgrade devices being released somewhere in between as well. It makes it appear that Samsung is always releasing a new device. I agree though, we're virtually stuck with the same phone for 2 years under contract, it would seem to make perfect sense to ease up a bit and focus on better design, build quality and overall performance.
42. CALL-151 (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 May 2014)
The slightly recessed metal sides are a good touch. It improves the tactile feedback while handling the phone.
44. Scorpion (Posts: 85; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
I have to agree it's a GSII sort of thing, here Apple would be right to claim it was made to look like an Iphone.
47. iGeek (Posts: 152; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Really now? This thing would NEVER sell in the States cause Apple won't let this happen whatsoever. I'm really surprised that some people can dare to say this doesn't look like an iPhone. They even copied the effing antenna bars and then will do antennagate after this phone I guess. WTF Samsung just WTF
49. neonix (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Aug 2014)
It looks exactly like an S5, but with a metal border. So you're saying Apple owns metal borders?
52. farzad_funny (Posts: 43; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Kinda weird but I saw this device in a Samsung shop in Tehran Iran. They told me it's probably specific to Non LTE countries and sort of a test. To see the response
Honestly, it felt like S2 mixed with S5.
It ain't new it's just...only metal frame.
Az far as thickness goes...basically normal. Nothing special.
The screen was good though
Better than my S3 which I had with me
To me it seems this is a device suited for only midrangers who like metal frame
But overall, it's good. It's what S3 could have been in terms of design
I also hear there's a test device im UAE.
54. PorkyBurger (Posts: 230; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I love it. Looks like candy to me. YUM. :D
Waiting for it impatiently!!!