New Nexus 7 gets benchmarks and full specs before announcement
1. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
That's smart, Google realized that the GPU is more important, but I still think they should have put an S600. Whatever, i'm still buying.
2. Birds (Posts: 1150; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Then the tablet would have been 300$ for the base version....
3. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Completely right. People want top of the line specs for bargain basement prices. That's just unrealistic. You want a tablet with one of the latest processors? Pony up the cash.
4. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Actually you could do that. But the one that will suffer would be the quality of the product.
30. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
By the way, I don't want a cheap tablet, I just want a 7' Android tablet, I'd pay whatever it is.
31. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4250; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Apparently, the S4 Pro in the new Nexus 7 has Krait 300 cores and DDR3 RAM instead of Krait 200 and DDR2 RAM in the more traditional S4 Pro like in the Nexus 4, essentially making it a Snapdragon 600 -200 MHz to the CPU. Qualcomm names their SoC kind of awkwardly.
23. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Not really, the SD600 SoC costs about $20, the S4 Pro is probably about $15 so that's... $5 extra.
It's more like Qualcomm has his hands full supplying the big boys with the SD600 and has warehouses full of unsold S4 Pro, plus Google is experienced with that (Nexus 4), so that choice was made.
27. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Google ISN'T one of the big boys? Gimme a break, man. I'm sure they have more pull than most. If they wanted the Snap 600 in this device, it would be in there.
28. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Google is a very small fish on the hardware side. Those selling tens of millions of units are Qualcomm's priority, cause they order ten times as much, in advance for each component while Google does monthly orders based on the Nexus demand at any given time.
Selling Nexus devices isn't even Google's priority as you rarely if ever see them advertised, and Google's not making profit off it. The reason for the Nexus devices is to show off how "in a better world", fast Android gadgets are available cheap, and they are available in selected Play Stores right now.
29. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
It wouldn't be that high, but I still would have bought it. Better than the iPad Mini by far, and don't talk about optimization, they're fixing that.
26. yowanvista (Posts: 340; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
S600 and S4 Pro are basically the same chip. The S600 is just an improved version, they fixed some issues at the silicon level but the rest remains unchanged.
5. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
They'll save that beefier processor for the 10" Nexus, where they can afford to toss in higher level components. What's the amount of memory in this thing, it better start off with 32GB of space. I want to snag me a tablet for the girlfriend to use for everyday off tv viewing and netflix and I want the Nexus 7 because of upgradeability of the OS.
10. puckhead (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
229 for the 16gb and 269 for the 32gb, but with the cloud you dont really need much more than 16gb imo but everyone is different
6. threeline (Posts: 267; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Where is the updated Nexus 10? I have a Galaxy S4 that essentially more powerful than the Nexus 7. I don't want a tablet slightly bigger than my phone. I like the Nexus line but because my GS4 is 5" it makes no sense for me to get a 7" tablet. I'm very interested in the Nexus 10 but it's pricey, hopefully the new Nexus 10 drops the price of the old one.
8. puckhead (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
actually you'd be surprised how much better it is to watch video on the Nexus7 than a smart phone. I have it and the added 2 inches makes it a lot better. I def enjoy video on the Nexus7 way more....but hey if you want the Nexus 10 instead I dont blame you, especially since its only $399. I would like one but its kind of pointless since I already have MBP.
13. rd_nest (Posts: 1467; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
This is because of the surface area. Going from 5-inch to 7-inch device, the surface area is increased by about 100% (doubles). This is assuming same aspect ratio. So you can understand why the videos or webpages look better.
14. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Actually, the difference between a mac book pro and a 10 inch tablet is substantially larger than the difference between a 5 inch phone and 7 inch tablet in my opinion.
You won't touch your laptop for anything except work once you get a 10 inch tablet with super high resolution. With the 5 inch phone, you use that way more than you would a inch tablet.
I'll probably get this Nexus 7 but I'll only use it for reading ebooks and when my nexus 10 battery is dead. I would use the laptop dead last, no matter how thin it is, it is still awkward as hell to use now.
24. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
If you don't like it, you don't buy it, it's as simple as that.
7. khaledmhawesh (Posts: 38; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
No device (available) impressed me on any benchmark after I bought the s4 with octacore which got an impressive 13000 on quadrant vs 5500 hahaha thats funny
9. puckhead (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
yeah well you can almost buy 3 nexus7s for the price of one S4. right?
15. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Haha, You made my day, I think some people don't really understand in compairing devices a 229$ and you will Compare it into 650$ you are joking me.
11. puckhead (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
wow seems great, and wireless charging too, wtf do I do with my old nexus7? thats my problem right there.
12. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
The specs page for the Nexus 7 II lists it as having 4 GB of RAM.
16. khaledmhawesh (Posts: 38; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I will not hold tge 3 nex7ses all when Im playing need for speed mostwanted or asphalt
17. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
The nexus 10 is not that expensive if you compare to iPad you can buy the 32gb model and it will still be cheaper than the 16gb iPad at least here in the UK!
18. MrPhilo (Posts: 48; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Asus can piss off they put another poor memory in. The i/o is similar to the old Nexus 7. Antutu SD for reference. FML.
19. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Samsung Ativ S/iPhone 5 + new Nexus 7 . Perfect phone tablet combo for me