Microsoft offering extra 20GB of SkyDrive storage to Windows Phone users
In there, you may see an email from Windows Phone stating simply that as a token of appreciation to Windows Phone users, Microsoft is offering up an extra 20GB of free Skydrive storage for one year on top of the 7GB of free storage already available.
What could you do with the extra space? Well, if you are a Windows Phone user already, there is a better than average chance that you have a Nokia Lumia device with a killer camera. That means you have a lot of pictures that may be worth setting up for auto-upload. Do the same for your videos while you are at it.
Of course, SkyDrive is your personal file manager in the cloud, so it is a handy feature to use between your computer, tablet and Windows Phone for documents and other important media. We are not certain how wide this promotional net is being cast, but Microsoft usually likes to do this “big,” so check out the email you use for your Live ID, and you may find yourself with an extra 20GB of storage to keep all those holiday photos and videos.
1. snowgator (Posts: 3149; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
That is a ton of storage.
But... after one year, how much?
3. sri_tech (Posts: 184; Member since: 21 May 2013)
You will get 7GB free storage for life when you have skydrive account.
This offer will give 20GB for one year. So after one year you will be left with 7GB.
5. snowgator (Posts: 3149; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I have WP so I know I will have 7 GB for life. This is obviously a great way to get Skydrive users used to a ton more space, and after one year to get them to buy the 20 GB.
Just not sure how much that would be.
15. ihavenoname (Posts: 833; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Skydrive beats Google Drive and iCloud only in one thing; WIth Skydrive, your content and information is been watched by jolly good fellows of NSA.
18. elitewolverine (Posts: 462; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Your love for MS is awesome. Sad thing is you believe what you type
20. ihavenoname (Posts: 833; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
MS is not all bad. I like the desktop. Otherwise, nah.
23. Penny (Posts: 951; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
So you know for certain that Google Drive and iCloud are safe from the prying grips of the NSA, while Skydrive is not? Awesome, you must be a high level insider or something. I should totally take your word for it.
27. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 944; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Google is innocent! It's not like they would ever give the government access to your private information. Oh wait, didn't they allow the Chinese government to censor the results of their search engine? Okay, whatever - hear no evil, see no evil ;o)
30. papss (Posts: 2842; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Nope its just all round better. Google drive is half baked but you goggles wont let you see anything but nonsense.
17. elitewolverine (Posts: 462; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
not very much, 50gb plan is $2/month. So probably less if they offer that as a plan.
24. Penny (Posts: 951; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Goes back down to what you have now after 1 year unless Microsoft decides then to let you keep it. I personally was lucky enough to get grandfathered into the free 25GB of SkyDrive storage. While I'll add this for 45GB for a year, I don't think I'll go past my original 25GB limit in that time frame. Just use it for documents and photos from my phone, really.
2. BattleBrat (Posts: 883; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I joined skydrive a while ago, still have 25gb.
4. mikelemon (Posts: 84; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Older users were given an permanent upgrade to 25gb
7. clevername (Posts: 1400; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
For those of us older customers with 25Gb... Will ms skip us? Or will we get super lucky and end up with 45GBs?
11. papss (Posts: 2842; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I have the 25 and just got the 20 for free... great for me.. i prefer skydrive to any of tbe others plus it works great with my xbox one.
9. StreetNerd (Posts: 698; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
lol nice! few days ago the offerd us 1 yr free premium skype now this? :D
12. Password (banned) (Posts: 21; Member since: 17 Dec 2013)
So 20GB will be for 20 users to download.
13. sniper1087 (Posts: 289; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
i have 75gb of dropbox... only 20 meh not that great.
16. elitewolverine (Posts: 462; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
meh 2gb free of dropbox, or pay 9.99/month for 100gb.
Skydrive offers 200GB for less at 8.33/month.
If you got 75gb free with dropbox, great, its not the 'norm'.
25. Penny (Posts: 951; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Agreed, I only have 2 gigs with Dropbox. Also, I do have to say that this 20GB is great for the target consumer: WP users. All of my WP stuff and Windows 8.1 stuff (photos, documents) gets stored on my SkyDrive automatically because of its integration on these platforms, so I don't end up using the other storage tools I have access to (DropBox, Google Drive, Flickr) nearly as much.
In other words, 20GB is great for those who are using WP and other platforms in which SkyDrive is integrated.
28. elitewolverine (Posts: 462; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Yup. I currently just purchased my mom a 10.1 asus Win8.1 tablet. She got a 64gb tablet, 25gigs of skydrive, now 20 more. Then asus gave her 35gb with webstorage. Then she got 20gb more because she is a Office 325 user. I don't think she will ever use that data. Combined with her 521, and the way win8 logs in. Her desktop, tablet, phone, all are easy to use and integrated without a hassel
26. Penny (Posts: 951; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Surface Pro people, they got 200GB for free. Damn.
29. Credo (Posts: 655; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
exactly, only i got the Surface 2 not the Pro ..