Man roots giant Nexus S device at Best Buy
A few months ago, it seems that a customer was on line at Best Buy with his broken phone, waiting to get it repaired. When he spotted the Nexus S replica, a thought came to his mind and he rooted the phone. A video was made of the aftermath of the rooting of the giant unit and while the actual steps used to root the phone were not taped, you can see the man show off the Superuser icon and his ability to run a superuser on terminal emulator to prove that the device was rooted.
It shows you how much like a real Nexus S the giant displays are. We can only imagine what was going through the mind of the Google employee in charge of the display after finding that someone was able to root what was really meant to be a giant conversation piece. Ironically, the model of the phone that the customer was bringing in for repair was a-you guessed it-a Nexus S.
source: YouTube via Phandroid
1. zrataza (unregistered) posted on 18 Aug 2011, 01:51 0 1
How did he root the phone...without connecting to a computer? I'm guessing I've yet to uncover some secret way to root an android? :(
8. Trayes (unregistered) posted on 18 Aug 2011, 08:18 0 0
How can u root a nexus s without a computer? Ive looked all over the internet and could not find an answer.
14. TreyTreyTaylor posted on 18 Aug 2011, 23:01 0 0
2. cheeseycheeser posted on 18 Aug 2011, 01:51 2 0
I'd be happy to take out of those off their hands.... ;]
4. Thump3rDX17 posted on 18 Aug 2011, 02:04 0 0
lawwwl! now i wanna root one! it's a new trend. i smell it coming. xD
5. Planar Employee (unregistered) posted on 18 Aug 2011, 02:09 1 0
I work for the company that makes these giant phones -- Planar. I work in a different department but I believe I heard we actually have the phone inside them, running it and it's just hooked up to the large LCD.
6. oddmanout posted on 18 Aug 2011, 02:19 0 0
Hope that big nexus s wasn't insured... Someone just broke warrenty!! BUSTED BIG TIME! OHH YEAHH! lol jp
7. PeterIfromsweden posted on 18 Aug 2011, 04:30 0 1
Reminds me of all the jailbreaked iphones i've seen in the shops...
11. darth8ball posted on 18 Aug 2011, 10:31 3 3
if he's so smart, why is he at Best Buy to get his phone fixed??????
12. anonymous2 (unregistered) posted on 18 Aug 2011, 17:46 0 0
Uh, he was not getting his phone fixed. He was going to exchange it when they told him that his phone fell off the charger. If my phone freaked out on day 29 of a 30 day return policy, I would want a new one if I could take advantage of it.
13. chris228311 (unregistered) posted on 18 Aug 2011, 17:57 0 1
I don't believe it. He should have recorded the bottom of the giant nexus when he typed su enter cuz it would have said terminal emulator was granted superuser permissions
15. Reign1Supreme (unregistered) posted on 23 Aug 2011, 10:29 0 0
they're actually taking those large phones down from the select stores that had them.
16. Animal99 (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2011, 08:57 0 0
First off, in the date of the rooted, it says SuperUser was installed on 5/16/2011 at 10:19:07 and that terminal emulator was installed at 10:34:51...This Nexus S was NOT available until 5/08/11...He could only have had his phone for 8 (EIGHT) DAYS! Not 29! Second...Nice job tho....but, dude...BE HONEST!!