x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Man dies from electrocution while using and charging his cell phone simultaneously

Man dies from electrocution while using and charging his cell phone simultaneously

Posted: , by John V.

Man dies from electrocution while using and charging his cell phone simultaneously
Even though we don’t think about it that much, while others might take it for granted, recognized cell phone manufacturers around the world rigorously test their products to ensure that they’re safe to use. On the other hand, knock off phones might not be placed through the same testing standards we see in place with some of the big names in the industry,

Unfortunately for 25-year-old Dhanji Damor of Gujarat, India, he was electrocuted while charging and using his Chinese supplied phone. Commonly known as shanzai phones, which are basically cheap knock-offs of some popular smartphones, Damor was taken to the hospital after the whole incident occurred. Sadly, doctors declared him dead due to the electrocution he experienced while attempting to place a phone call.

Naturally, there might be other factors that might have contributed to his death, but it goes to show that these knock-off phones can seriously prove to be deadly – namely due to the fact there is probably very little in regards to safety with them. So the next time you’re considering on picking up a knock-off of some sort, just be wary about the possibilities since they’re not put through the normal set of safety tests and procedures that are normally carried out by brand name manufacturers.

via Cellular News

21 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 20 Jun 2011, 14:33 4

1. wumberpeb (Posts: 432; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)


Well if that's what happens with a cheap knock-off, I'm glad HTC goes through rigorous testing for their Thunderbolt....

that would hurt

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 14:44 6

3. Sniggly (Posts: 7029; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)


If the Thunderbolt was a knockoff that electrocuted a man, it would definitely add to the irony of this case.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 14:39 1

2. somedroidguy (unregistered)


the world of smartphones salute you, Dhanji Damor.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 14:46 2

4. Helix (unregistered)


We should probably be looking to the maker of the charger as a possible cause as well for this issue. A properly functioning phone charger should not be putting out the voltage/amps necessary to fatally electrocute a person. If the charger's transformer were damaged or faulty from assembly there is a possibility of receiving a larger shock. Not that I'm saying a propertly functioning charger could not cause injury but death would be very unlikely. It is also possible that the power grid contributed to the accident. Do we know if he was in a wet environment like a pool/bath/shower? There are a lot of possibilities as to why this happened. Even if it was a name brand smart phone. I'm not saying it wasn't the phone either.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 14:57 4

5. Allday28 (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Nov 2010)


Its not the voltage that kills you its the amps. It ony takes a quarter of a amp to kill a person.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 16:28

7. corps1089 (Posts: 492; Member since: 20 Jan 2010)


True, the voltage just hurts while the current kills.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 18:26 1

12. Sparky (unregistered)


Without getting to heavy into electricity...
Voltage doesn't kill people, think Van de Graaff generator. However Amps will kill you. Only 5mA can kill a human.

posted on 21 Jun 2011, 03:39

19. Krb686 (Posts: 9; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)


Yeah, 5mA across the heart directly! It takes sufficient voltage to push that current into the body unless he had an open wound, and even then how would the electricity have traveled THROUGH his body across the heart when the positive AND negative terminals are INSIDE the charger cable. Seems pretty odd

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 15:07

6. nb2six (Posts: 298; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)


They say in the fine print not to talk on your phone while charging it and taking a nice bubble bath. Gee you would think some people would learn.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 16:57

8. funlobingguy (Posts: 7; Member since: 17 Mar 2010)


So, there are 4 factor here :
1. your smartphone itself.
check settings of battery, voltage and amps on your smartphone. Nowadays these new devices get really hot due to fast processors. hence settle for a device that doesbasic job for you instead of hi-fi stuff.Do not do tasks of laptops/desktops/computers/tablets on smartphone. Smartphones are handy in emergencies but let it also take its own rest,
Avoid multi-tasking except emergencies (eg charging and talking, opening websites with multiple tabs or lots fo java scripts running in background.), parallely using voice and data is a different thing which is ok.
2.your smartphone battery. See if you got correct battery
3. voltage - read what others have correctly written above
4.Amps - - read what others have correctly written above
Check manual for these things and other tips for the device as well.

If any fo above four are incompatible, then you are a dead man!!!!!!

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 17:51

11. wumberpeb (Posts: 432; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)


Everything you mentioned above is something the manufacturer (and possibly the carrier who sells you the phone) should have taken care of before it reaches the consumer's hand. Most readers of this site could probably verify correct voltages and mAh of batteries and such, but why should anyone have to?

Buying it off Craig's List is one thing, but off the shelf at a Verizon or Sprint store?

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 18:59 1

14. Fanboys Suck (Posts: 609; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)


I am not sure he bought it at a Verizon OR as Sprint store...

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 17:14

9. ps316 (Posts: 18; Member since: 19 Oct 2010)


Bottom line is, we should not use the phone while charging.......

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 19:00 2

15. Fanboys Suck (Posts: 609; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)


Why not?

I feel perfectly same using my phone while it's charging... with my bluetooth... oh yeah...

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 17:45 3

10. box (unregistered)


So... don't use phones that are made in china!




.....hey, that includes iphones.......



Awesome.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 18:52

13. shimmyx20 (Posts: 280; Member since: 03 Mar 2009)


My HTC's battery is made in China :-/

Also, depending on what your POV on the whole Taiwan-China issue is, you could also say that the phone was made in China as well!

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 19:06

16. messiah (Posts: 433; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)


The "other factors" are that the dork was in the tub washing himself at the same time. Come on people. Weed out the idiots.

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 19:12

17. hollywood71 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Jun 2011)


Damn Chinese! They're taking over...killer cell phones now ...what's next?

posted on 20 Jun 2011, 22:45 1

18. gaby1451 (Posts: 113; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)


Yo! The risk of electrocution isn't limited to just knock off phones. The LG Rumor Touch/Banter Touch Owner's Manual states in the "Important Safety Precautions section:"



"Do not place or answer calls while charging the phone as it may short-circuit the phone and/or cause electric shock or fire."



My question is, is this precaution universal for all phones or just LG's, or just this specific model?

posted on 21 Jun 2011, 05:25

20. timshady337 (Posts: 45; Member since: 19 Nov 2009)


It only takes 1/10 of an amp to kill you. your body has enough resistance to safely handle about 50 volts on average. A phone charger is usually 5v. He had to be wet or the charger wasn't grounded allowing 220v ac (ac is harder on the body than dc) to go through his body if he touch an earth ground and an ungrounded charger without a step-down transformer. Not a good combination.It has nothing to do with the phone. A 3.7v lipo battery inside the phone was not a factor.

posted on 21 Jun 2011, 14:37

21. helix (unregistered)


yes I realize that it's the amps that kill not the volts but I = V/r so under normal circumstances there are not enough current I (amps) at normal charging voltage V and normal resistance r (skin not wet, not in a tub) Reduce resistance and you get more amps of through put, Increase voltage and you get more amps of throughput it is a direct relationship.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories