J.D. Power ranks Apple first in US customer satisfaction, followed by Nokia and Samsung
It is important, however, that manufacturers meet the expectations of those customers who take advantage of such offers by ensuring the features are intuitive and, ultimately, rewarding to them. Providing an easy-to-use, yet powerful operating system with the ability to customize applications to suit individual needs is essential to providing a high-quality and rewarding wireless experience.
1. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Just 10K smartphone users surveyed for all smartphones combined?
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
...and you think that's the reason Samsung didn't make it to the top? :P
But jokes aside, too less for a survey this big.
7. Aeires (unregistered)
I was surprised design was weighted the most, figured features would be because that's what you use your phones for.
12. wendygarett (unregistered)
Jdpower mostly surveys automobil satisfaction, and sadly to tell you, they focus even more design when it comes to car...
18. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Well, remember Dr Ancel Keys? He rejected 14 countries data an d took only 7 countries just to prove that LOW FAT (hence high CARB) is great for health. Look what his LOW FAT FAD did ... produced most obese nation on earth. Sometimes the design of survey/experiment is done based on what end results are needed ... not saying it was so in this case :D
22. Muzhhur (Posts: 231; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
well, I think many user wont tell the truth about their choices 'cause probably fell a little bit stupid, many that already have nokia, apple or samsung devices are lying... this smarthphones bring some good xperience but all of them are not perfect
26. TheMan (Posts: 346; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Sounds like someone didn't do well in Statistics 101. You don't need a large sample size get to a statistically significant result, especially since the survey centers on manufacturers, not models. Even a few hundred (per phone maker) is overkill. The only reason they'd need more is if they plan to slice the data along different parameters, like age group or geography.
30. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
yea 50 should be sufficient theoretically.
When you are generating data based on "perception" and not some science then all those statistics 101 don't apply ... haven't you seen how EXIT Polls fail most of the time?
2. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Not surprised Apple made it to the top...
But Nokia did a good job, and so did LG in the features department.
11. wendygarett (unregistered)
Jdpower is a California company, if you know what I mean :)
I'm shocking that Nokia managed to be second, last year it placed below LG... Huge satisfaction...
21. asingha94 (Posts: 266; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
Apple sucks but very happy to see nokia & lg made a good job....my lumia 920 rocks & also my two year old optimus 2x running like a champ & i never got any problem with both of those!!they deserve that place..
24. TheMan (Posts: 346; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I don't buy the "it's a California company, so go figure" argument, but this survey is misleading. Why? When you ask people about their Apple phone it's really just two models, to speak of. (That's also somewhat true with Nokia since they offer but a handful of smartphones in the U.S.) When you ask about any other maker, it's several, maybe even dozens of models, from high end to low end, typically. So, JD Powers is blending the SG3 experience with, say, a Samsung Focus (a Windows Phone).
Basically, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. :P
3. sonofzeus (Posts: 95; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
i have a nokia phone and I am totally dissatisfied with the product,my next phone will not be a nokia
4. mousesports (Posts: 212; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
i am very curious what kind of phone you got , or maybe you are a samboyfan ?
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Greek Gods don't use phones...he doesn't own any.
10. freebee269 (Posts: 496; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Probably someone that says they have a Nokia but really doesn't just for the sake of hating on Nokia. I have a lumia 920 and I am satisfied with it. I also have an lg optimus g with 4.1.2 jelly bean on it and am satisfied with that also.
17. Johnnokia (Posts: 384; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Nokia earns very few money from Nokia care because very very few phones came back to be fixed.
20. asingha94 (Posts: 266; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
Big fat liar!!you never had a nokia fone then!!
6. Quezdagreat (Posts: 386; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
iPhone tops the list for the 9th time? I guess all of the people who complain about them never owned one
31. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Well they never complained as they were scared to be told that they were doing it wrong ...
33. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and how do you know? I am a consumer and a happy one.. is ok for you to hate Apple but dont speak on our behalf...
36. lyndon420 (Posts: 1640; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Someone has to speak up for you consumers. As an outsider looking in, you ios users will put up with anything apple throws at you - garbage or not.
37. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
There's a difference between :
"Don't Like" and "Hate". First learn to reconcile to that fact then we can discuss ... because in Apple camp it seems both mean the same thing from what you wrote :)
9. lauremar (Posts: 180; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
J.D. Power = Apple, Inc. stock/share holders... Hence the article! LMFAO
38. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
You dumb bro? If they own AAPL, they'll badmouth apple since their shares are down.
13. ryq24 (Posts: 441; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Nokia feature phone are very good quality wise! But their touchscreen phones is another story.
15. LonghornTech (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Are you serious? You've obviously never owned one.
16. Canadian_user (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
J.D. Power is another US flag waver...Just like they do with the big three auto makers. Results can be bent any way you want.
it really is sad when you can no longer trust survey findings due to their hidden agenda.
19. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 787; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
I would love to see the actual data collected here and compare all the numbers, specifically the phone models people reported having, and how many people perceive their own smartphone as feature rich.
I have a feeling that what we know as fact, i.e. the Android phones should rank highest, followed by Windows Phones, followed by iPhones, probably won't be the case here.
23. Taters (Posts: 2368; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
You mean the cheap plastic crap Samsung was ranked 3rd in design over the only reason HTC is failing because of marketing but supposedly has vastly superior designs? ;)
Oh that's right. They were just making crap up and were in denial.
27. Canadian_user (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
You can go ahead and believe what they tell you, but remember these companies are receiving indirect funding from the very company they're suppose to be ranking.
I choose to listen to the users posting who actual own the device.
It is my opinion that satisfaction is subjective therefore we as consumers should be asking "what is the point of this article?".
28. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3649; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Considering Samsung only beat out HTC by 3 points, yes. 793/1000 and 790/1000 are pretty close together.
HTC lost points due to performance most likely. Sense has always been relatively heavy on the system up until this year when Sense 5 was announced, and since no one has Sense 5 yet, they will lose points over it. Unlike Samsung whose Touchwiz is much lighter than Sense 3 or 4.
Design only counts for 23% of the score, whereas performance accounts for 33%.
29. letgomyeggroll (Posts: 137; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
JD Power has been a joke on how and where they do their survey. Their results on many products have been really off the chart. It's like they are getting pay by the company to make them look better than they really are. Oops did I said that?
Samsung customer service and tech support have been way more helpful than Apple. I have experience many times. And no if I needed anything, I would have to drive all the way to Samsung store or send it to them to get things taken care off. So how does Apple rank better in products and services?????
The question of those thousands, how many where Apple's fan and how many where Android, Windows, or Blackberry users?
32. papss (Posts: 3388; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
SS should have ranked lower.. But I have no thoughts of a hidden agenda by JD though.. All us fanboys are a sensitive group..
34. fanboy1974 (Posts: 997; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
iPhone 5s coming right up! If customers don't complain expect Apple to do nothing but the same old thing.
35. lyndon420 (Posts: 1640; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Looks like JD Power got a bunch of free iphones. Not a biased survey what so ever. Oh well...simple is as simple does. Also must have something to do with apple customers being happy with what ever they are told/given by apple.
39. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Must suck having a gun pointed at you by an apple employee everytime you shop for a device/computer everywhere.
40. JunitoNH (Posts: 756; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Not surprised at all about Apple and Nokia. I'll tell you who won't get good marks, my crappy Galaxy Nexus; one of my worst investment and a piece of crap.
42. pyradark (Posts: 710; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
well windows is very good to millions of non geek person.
my dad is satisfy with his lumia 710.