Images leak of Nikon's Android-powered camera
The back side of the camera is shown as being dominated by a touchscreen that appears to be running stock Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). Presumably it would also come installed with a custom camera app, and moreover one that would trigger anytime the camera is being used to, you know, shoot pictures. Otherwise the whole affair would feel a bit too much like an Android PMP grafted onto the back of a camera.
We should find out more soon, as according to NR the announcement for the new camera is coming this week. Anyone interested in picking up an Android-powered camera?
Nikon Coolpix S800c Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
10 great Android widgets you should try
09 Apr 2013, 08:08
Samsung Galaxy S4: 10 exclusive or little-known features review
05 Apr 2013, 07:17
Best Android phones to get this spring
17 Apr 2013, 09:48
5 smartphone apps banned by... Google
16 Apr 2013, 07:24
source: Nikon Rumors 1,2 via 9to5Google
1. good2great posted on 20 Aug 2012, 14:39 7 0
now this what i'm talking about!!! once this hits the market it'll sell very well...
16. 305Bucko posted on 20 Aug 2012, 18:14 1 0
Sign me up for pre-orders!!!
Hope it can be flashed with CyanogenMod
first app download: Instagram
18. dickwyn posted on 20 Aug 2012, 21:03 2 0
They should add a SIM card slot so it will be a
Phone ? Camera ?
its the Nikon CameraPhone
21. 305Bucko posted on 20 Aug 2012, 23:31 0 0
No I hope they dont go there. That would be like hoping ferrari makes a smart car.
wait,,, that would be pretty awesome :/
3. rockstarlive posted on 20 Aug 2012, 14:53 9 1
Wanna see this go against Nokia 808 pureview.
4. Jphones posted on 20 Aug 2012, 15:11 2 0
great idea making camera's more user friendly and having greater access to enhancements. Plus you'll get to alter the photo before ever attaching it to a computer lets hope it comes with built in wifi
7. jmoita2 posted on 20 Aug 2012, 16:06 5 0
Yes, it does!!!
* 25-250 mm lens
* 3.5-inch OLED screen
* The camera runs all Google Play apps
* The camera will probably run Android 2.3
* Built-in GPS
* Built-in Wi-Fi
Android is truly revolutionizing everything...
8. Penny posted on 20 Aug 2012, 16:32 2 4
Android is cool and everything, but how about we give Nikon some of that "revolutionizing" credit here -- especially considering this is Nikon's idea and product.
Android is a means to an end here, not the core of the revolution.
13. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 20 Aug 2012, 17:04 4 2
Close to an inch thich?
Battery-hogging camera with moving parts (zoom)?
Low res screen(even if it is only 3.5in)?
Remember the Garmin NuviPhone? That's the direction this is going.
17. 305Bucko posted on 20 Aug 2012, 18:20 4 1
Youve obviously never owned an ACTUAL camera. Where screens are much smaller, lower resolution, and much thicker.
dude its not a phone its a CAMERA. Your comment is about as dumb as complaining that a Lamborghini doesnt have cold A/C and that it doesnt have 4wheel drive. SMH
ever even heard of Nikon?
26. dmckay12 posted on 21 Aug 2012, 16:33 0 0
And it is much cheaper than making an OS themselves. Probably.
6. denied911 (banned) posted on 20 Aug 2012, 15:38 2 1
and browse internet or download different camera interfaces,
automatic upload to dropbox anyone?
9. lukasound posted on 20 Aug 2012, 16:42 2 0
looks great, but i wonder how long it will take to boot... i wouldn't want to wait 30 seconds for Android to boot before i can take a picture...
and doesn't ICS have a faster interface with the camera than GB?
19. OptimusOne posted on 20 Aug 2012, 22:15 0 0
totally agree. they should have it dual boot into quick camera interface,
and then full android mode
10. McLTE posted on 20 Aug 2012, 16:46 0 2
Imagine how many missed pics now because little Johnny ran the damn camera dead again playing Fruit Slice!
11. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 20 Aug 2012, 16:58 1 0
It's gonna fail the the Garmin NuviPhone.
But that's just my opinion.
14. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 20 Aug 2012, 17:07 1 2
i think if nikon will also make phones... the 808 pureview might be threaten...
22. skymitch89 posted on 21 Aug 2012, 00:52 0 0
On pic 3 you guys mention that "the words 'Nikon' and 'Coolpix' have a different grain than the rest of the camera does", so I take it that you guys didn't look at the lens part of the camera, which has the similar "grain" as the words "Nikon" and "Coolpix". Also, if you were to look at the words "Nikon" and "Coolpix" on pic 2, then you would notice the same "graininess" as in pic 3.
23. skymitch89 posted on 21 Aug 2012, 00:58 0 0
I'm going to make a guess as to what the specs of this camera will have if/when it comes to market. I'm thinking that it will have about a 3in QVGA (320x240) screen, a 500-800Mhz single core processor, 256MB RAM (maybe 512MB), and possibly a SIM/MicroSIM to upload images directly to the internet and have "mobile" internet where you go (like tablets & PS Vita).
24. Raymond_htc posted on 21 Aug 2012, 05:13 0 0
Well this is a FAIL... unless it is also a phone! that would be great! A camera phone.
25. edhill86 posted on 21 Aug 2012, 05:35 0 0
the second photo shows as having a 12x wide optical zoom, yet the third states as only having a 3x optical zoom, so one or the other at least is fake or not the same camera