Images leak of Nikon's Android-powered camera
The back side of the camera is shown as being dominated by a touchscreen that appears to be running stock Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). Presumably it would also come installed with a custom camera app, and moreover one that would trigger anytime the camera is being used to, you know, shoot pictures. Otherwise the whole affair would feel a bit too much like an Android PMP grafted onto the back of a camera.
We should find out more soon, as according to NR the announcement for the new camera is coming this week. Anyone interested in picking up an Android-powered camera?
Nikon Coolpix S800c
1. Main Press Render
2. Coolpix S800c from the front
3. A change of orientation?
source: Nikon Rumors 1,2 via 9to5Google
1. good2great (Posts: 1039; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
now this what i'm talking about!!! once this hits the market it'll sell very well...
16. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
Sign me up for pre-orders!!!
Hope it can be flashed with CyanogenMod
first app download: Instagram
18. dickwyn (Posts: 596; Member since: 07 May 2012)
They should add a SIM card slot so it will be a
Phone ? Camera ?
its the Nikon CameraPhone
21. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
No I hope they dont go there. That would be like hoping ferrari makes a smart car.
wait,,, that would be pretty awesome :/
3. rockstarlive (Posts: 307; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Wanna see this go against Nokia 808 pureview.
4. Jphones (Posts: 234; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
great idea making camera's more user friendly and having greater access to enhancements. Plus you'll get to alter the photo before ever attaching it to a computer lets hope it comes with built in wifi
7. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Yes, it does!!!
* 25-250 mm lens
* 3.5-inch OLED screen
* The camera runs all Google Play apps
* The camera will probably run Android 2.3
* Built-in GPS
* Built-in Wi-Fi
Android is truly revolutionizing everything...
8. Penny (Posts: 1194; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Android is cool and everything, but how about we give Nikon some of that "revolutionizing" credit here -- especially considering this is Nikon's idea and product.
Android is a means to an end here, not the core of the revolution.
13. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Close to an inch thich?
Battery-hogging camera with moving parts (zoom)?
Low res screen(even if it is only 3.5in)?
Remember the Garmin NuviPhone? That's the direction this is going.
17. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
Youve obviously never owned an ACTUAL camera. Where screens are much smaller, lower resolution, and much thicker.
dude its not a phone its a CAMERA. Your comment is about as dumb as complaining that a Lamborghini doesnt have cold A/C and that it doesnt have 4wheel drive. SMH
ever even heard of Nikon?
26. dmckay12 (Posts: 243; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
And it is much cheaper than making an OS themselves. Probably.
5. parvsingh05 (Posts: 98; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
now can i play angry birds on camera also ???
6. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
and browse internet or download different camera interfaces,
automatic upload to dropbox anyone?
9. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
looks great, but i wonder how long it will take to boot... i wouldn't want to wait 30 seconds for Android to boot before i can take a picture...
and doesn't ICS have a faster interface with the camera than GB?
19. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
totally agree. they should have it dual boot into quick camera interface,
and then full android mode
10. McLTE (Posts: 711; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Imagine how many missed pics now because little Johnny ran the damn camera dead again playing Fruit Slice!
11. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
It's gonna fail the the Garmin NuviPhone.
But that's just my opinion.
14. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i think if nikon will also make phones... the 808 pureview might be threaten...
22. skymitch89 (Posts: 1081; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
On pic 3 you guys mention that "the words 'Nikon' and 'Coolpix' have a different grain than the rest of the camera does", so I take it that you guys didn't look at the lens part of the camera, which has the similar "grain" as the words "Nikon" and "Coolpix". Also, if you were to look at the words "Nikon" and "Coolpix" on pic 2, then you would notice the same "graininess" as in pic 3.
23. skymitch89 (Posts: 1081; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I'm going to make a guess as to what the specs of this camera will have if/when it comes to market. I'm thinking that it will have about a 3in QVGA (320x240) screen, a 500-800Mhz single core processor, 256MB RAM (maybe 512MB), and possibly a SIM/MicroSIM to upload images directly to the internet and have "mobile" internet where you go (like tablets & PS Vita).
24. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Well this is a FAIL... unless it is also a phone! that would be great! A camera phone.
25. edhill86 (Posts: 7; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
the second photo shows as having a 12x wide optical zoom, yet the third states as only having a 3x optical zoom, so one or the other at least is fake or not the same camera