How to build your own smartphone
Now let's get to work!
- Sketch pad
- 2 pieces of string
- Scotch tape
For our design we decided to go with a classic rotary dial device for that authentic old-school look. With a body made out of solid polycarbonate, it surely going to withstand the tests of time, and the metallic elements that can be spotted here and there give it a premium look.
The first step is to attach the sketchpad to the phone with a piece of string. Just pass the string through one of the sketch pad's holes and tie it with a knot. Then tie the other end of the string to the phone's wire. You should end up with something like what you see in the images below. Our sketch pad features a beautiful image of Winnie the Pooh, which is going to serve as a wallpaper for our lock screen. Notice that the sketch pad will also serve as a contacts list and storage.
Now it is time to equip our smartphone with a pen that we will input data with. Of course, it can also be used as a stylus. You attach the pen to the sketch pad with a string. Once you are done, you should have something looking like this:
But if Android is not your cup of tea, just "install" a different platform: iOS, Windows Phone, Symbian, MeeGo, even Windows Mobile in case you are feeling nostalgic. In any case, performance is guaranteed to be flawless, and any application that you throw at your smartphone will have no troubles doing its thing.
And that's it!
Now you are free to add whatever finishing touches you desire. Glittery stickers and dangling charms can be added for improved reception and improved 4G speeds. We personally installed a whole bunch of custom ringtones, including hits from Spice Girls, Hanson, Hatsune Miku, and one particular song from Rick Astley. Below you can check out some action shots.
1. Sniggly (Posts: 6474; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Lol, good April Fool's article. I chuckled. :D
4. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
I was about to take this seriously, then I read your comment.
I forgot about April Fools. :))
7. Source (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Page1- android, pg2- iOS, pg3- WP, pg4- Tizen, pg5 - Symbian, pg6- Bada, pg7- BB10,........pg100-windows xp!........................LOL!
16. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
I'm gathering my supplies right now! f**k Apple and Google...
20. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
Me 2. Thought they was about to show us
step-by-step tutorial, and the part's that you
could perhaps bye, and build you'r own....
I was so excited!!!! You muppets... silly April fooled me.....
37. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Wow lol, the same 1 person disliked every comment...
27. ddxmms (Posts: 141; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
i think the camera will be better than the one on the htc one x..
we are waiting for the full review.
10. the_s2 (Posts: 200; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Plant it in soil, and water it thrice a day. Will be rooted within 2-3 days. My guarantee.
6. bbblader (Posts: 530; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
this is a better love story than twilight
and yes this is a smartphone
8. matrix_neo (Posts: 307; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
That's we call smartphone evolution. LOL (^_-) I will build mine too but with android and windows phones os installed hehehe
Btw is that you Nick in photos?
11. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Apple's soon gonna screw you with litigations for patent violation Nick, so stop thinking/laughing that you fooled us:-P
13. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I forgot it was April Fools until I read this.
14. lonestrider (Posts: 83; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
I've read something similar to this.
lol. April fool.
I really thought you'll gonna teach us to make our own smartphone.
17. 0o0blackstar0o0 (Posts: 86; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Fk i got excited ... i was thinking could choose all your parts like when you buy a laptop .
18. quesoesgrande (Posts: 214; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
I am so going to make one and get rid of my current phone! Lol i thought u were serious so i had to laugh!
22. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 244; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
o thank god its april 1st. before i realized that i was about to jump on PA for writing teh most ridiculous dumb article ever seen.
25. beelzebug07 (Posts: 9; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
He also forgot bluetooth, accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, nfc, proximity sensor... :-P
26. hepresearch (unregistered)
Haha... any good Boy Scout could add a compass, no problem.
Awesome April Fools article! LOL!
28. roscuthiii (Posts: 1716; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Are you spying on my family? My gf's daughter made me something like this a few years back for the holidays.
30. Habib (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
LOL this was the funniest thing i seen in Phonearena
31. medicci37 (Posts: 552; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Would be great if we could actually choose what parts we want & have a smartphone built 2 our specs. I can already see myself writing PA to bitch about all the bugs on the Medicci phone !
35. cripton805 (Posts: 907; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Whoever trolled this thread should be banned and has no life...
38. Sangeet (Posts: 225; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Nokia s40 phones would be better than this..LOL
just kidding, this is indeed the best smartphone ever made and samsung and apple even can't come close to it..