Hangouts with SMS support starts rolling out through Google Play, iOS gets minor update
1. Cyberchum (Posts: 281; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
One feature I actually like is the swipe to archive one. it's really good.
2. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4165; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
One feature I would like is SMS separate from hangouts. I'm not really hanging for Google's ridiculous choice here.
3. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That's the beauty of Android... If you don't like it, just swap it out for a different sms app. How cool is that!
4. greathero1 (Posts: 494; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Hangouts is actually not bad at all. It works exactly the same as the typical SMS stock app. There really is no learning curve on how to use it. No complaints here!
6. sprockkets (Posts: 1359; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
What do you care, you don't use Android.
What next, you want Apple to separate SMS from iMessage?
7. SellPhones82 (Posts: 565; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Right...blah blah blah, I think it's ridiculous that Apple does not separate SMS from iMessage! I like using two apps to do the things one app can do!
22. rd_nest (Posts: 824; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
That app isn't working properly for me anyways. Missed quite a few notifications for SMS so far. Needs improvement.
5. datsyuk (Posts: 177; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
If they integrate SMS and IM, and maybe fix MMS sending issues that Android still always has then it will be perfect.
8. lexingtonsteeley (Posts: 12; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
I'd rather them in the same app, there's just too many messaging apps these days, Facebook, Whatapp, hangouts, sms, and all my friends seem to be on something different. I just think, the current implementation of this needs work. On my Nexus 5, i was hoping that it would be more like Imessage where the app detects the appropriate protocol seamlessly ( either sms or data ). Instead its more like a combined inbox, disappointing... not sure if both parties need to be running the latest version?
10. datsyuk (Posts: 177; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
Exactly. It needs to automatically detect another Google account when SMS and just switch over, you can have the option to SMS, but automation will make it good.
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Been using this app since last week. One thing I don't like is pictures, for some reason, aren't sending when they're sent through Hangouts but send using the stock 4.3 SMS app. -_-
11. blazee (Posts: 318; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
Sending pics Works fine for me and everyone I'm in the group chat with.
15. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1271; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I had the same problem on my N5 when I got it, so I sent Hangouts to the bench and grabbed 8sms from Play. It works like a champ.
12. NexusX (Posts: 181; Member since: 16 May 2013)
voicecall, sms, emails, instant messengers and skype are getting redundant. why do we need to constantly switching different apps to communicate?
they should create one app that does it all and reduce all form communication down to three: messaging, voicecall, videocall. i think thats what google is aiming to do with hangout. if anyone can pull it off it is google.
14. AfterShock (Posts: 2968; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
This is coming along nicely.
With the updated keyboard it's starting to feel complete even though there's room to grow.
16. Jason2k13 (Posts: 657; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
so with installing through an APK, does it still get official future updates? Or do i need to remove it once a newer version from the playstore comes out?
18. bwhiting (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
it suppose to get you the future updates but if it doesn't then just uninstall when you see that they update it past your version by then it will not be a need for the actual APK version
17. bwhiting (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
I had to add the APK file since the actual normal one from the play store only gives me the regular hangout and didn't come with the added feature for the SMS/MMS intergration. I have issue with the MMS not sending at all for some reason, so I end up having to go to the actual messaging app that was built into it to send my messages but that only for picture mails.
Other than that the app works fine, not much issue and I got all my features in one and can seperate my hangouts with actual text messages finally without going to other apps (besides the picture mail issue).
19. XT3X12 (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Anybody know how to import you old message threads to hangouts? IM having trouble figuring it out.
20. bwhiting (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
once it goes to SMS it should automatically bring them into the hangout application like any texting application does
21. kiefer1993 (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Someone help me. It says any device 4.0 and up. I have a Galaxy S4 4.3. Hangouts has updated to have ams integration but, i just don't see the option. can someone help me =(
24. Phaze0085 (Posts: 102; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I donr get it. Im running 4.2.2, but when i do the update to Hangouts 4.0, it still doesnt give me SMS. The only way I get it is through the APK download?
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
26. ePoch270 (Posts: 112; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
I wasn't receiving MMS messages and none of my MMS recipients were getting my MMS messages. Had to "Uninstall Update" (on a side note, this is an awesome feature by Google.) Switched back to Stock Messaging, but I just DL'd SuperText, which works really well.