HTC says Android 4.0 update coming in March to select models
HTC Vivid, HTC Amaze 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G, HTC Incredible S, HTC Desire S and HTC Desire HD. No precise date was given as to when the owners of these devices can expect the latest build of Google's open source operating system.
For those with an HTC model not mentioned, there still is hope that you could receive an update. HTC said that more models getting Ice Cream Sandwich will be announced in the upcoming weeks. Models like the HTC ThunderBolt are still not accounted for, so owners of that model should definitely be crossing their fingers.
1. Rayzin (Posts: 83; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
NICE, now if I can just have the option of turning Sense 4.0 off..
6. sprockkets (Posts: 1555; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
As it is, the stock unlock screen, stock contacts and such are broken in ICS 4.0.3 from the code on Google's server. I've tried it and found using Sense 3.6 (which is what it looks it will have) isn't that much different than stock. I'd rather have the stock launcher, but that one still needs work as well.
Now that Google released Chrome, I don't care it doesn't have the stock browser either, as they both work pretty much the same.
2. joseg81 (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
that's the link to HTC's post on facebook earlier today about this.
3. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Hopefully that means that the 3D will be getting it soon after, because its pretty much the same thing plus 3D
4. sprockkets (Posts: 1555; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
You can track somewhat the progress of ICS on the sensation here:
Some of the stuff in that list, like fully Adreno 220 rendering is redundant; they did that for 2.3.x. Obviously 4.x has it already.
5. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
sweet that mean once they release the code then I will have a nice new rom to put on my 3D
7. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 396; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
wow if my thunderbolt ends up getting ICS then im set for a while! buying a house, so no more updating yearly for me :(
8. MarloThaMartian (Posts: 43; Member since: 27 Dec 2010)
They said vivid would be updated early 2012. How did that go from that to "later this year" -_-
11. CuttingEdge11 (Posts: 7; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
Seeing as my Evo 4G apparently doesn't have enough ram to run higher than sense 1.0, I doubt it will get updated.. which sucks, because i've only had it about a year. ):
13. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1702; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
root it, im running Sense 3.5 , so buttery smooth too
14. JGuinan007 (Posts: 649; Member since: 19 May 2011)
The desire HD so does that also mean the HTC inspire 4g also?
Or will AT&T not even bother?
17. RicNP (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'm still waiting for sense 3.0, most european carriers already updated the Deisre HD :(
16. skymitch89 (Posts: 1185; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I think that if the EVO Design 4G, Incredible S, and Desire S are getting an update to ICS, then phones like the T-Bolt, Evo 4G, and Evo Shift should get it as well. Though, all the phones listed have at least 768MB RAM and the Evo 4G and Evo Shift only have 512MB; but the Incredible S is getting ICS so the Incredible 2 shouldn't be too far behind. I'm kinda jealous of a couple of my friends right now, they both have a Sensation 4G.
18. joseg81 (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
good news for Verizon customers (tbolt)!