HTC HD2 does it again, gets booted up by Nokia X's forked Android OS
Today, thanks to one of the guys at XDA, we can now add the forked Android OS running the Nokia X to the list of operating systems that has powered the HTC HD2 at one time. Before you start reaching for your old HTC HD2 collecting dust in a drawer, the port isn't bring much in the way of working features to the old gal. Outside of the boot graphics and sound, nothing else is working. Of course, we need to consider that the HTC HD2 is powered by a single-core 1GHz Snapdragon S1 with 448MB of RAM. Eventually, we expect to see the gang at XDA working hard to bring over more functions from the forked Android OS.
The HTC HD2 continues to live on, as best as you could hope for a phone that sports technology half a decade old. Like the cockroach, this is one handset that cannot be killed off.
HTC HD2 running the forked Android OS from the Nokia X
source: XDA via GSMArena
8. akki20892 (Posts: 3555; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i can say: this is most perfectly done architecture of hardware. great job by htc.
18. matty1323 (Posts: 27; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I absolutely loved this device when I got it near launch day with Tmo waaaay back. Android ran really well on it and when I went to sell it I offered to throw WinMo 6.5 back on it and everyone that was interested said no way leave android on it. Camera on it was really impressive as well, not sure that part of the phone gets the credit it deserves.
19. andrejx (Posts: 28; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
could win a guinness world record :D! and your comment was the most perfect comment one could write on this article xD
2. kareivis (Posts: 32; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
How`s that even possible?? That phone is legen... wait for it... dary!!!
will it blend?
3. tech2 (Posts: 2177; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
That's one ugly UI. It's an insult to one of the great legends of android world
5. jibraihimi (Posts: 695; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Originally it launched with windows mobile 6.5 os......
12. elitewolverine (Posts: 1704; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
loved the HD7, huge screen, kickstand, great speaker, it got me into windows. It is still going to this day as a wifi gaming pad for my kids.
7. tedkord (Posts: 4934; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
What an amazing device. WinMo, Android, Nokia fork. What can't it run? It just won't die.
17. pookiewood (Posts: 607; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
You forgot Ubuntu,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
and who knows what else. Those are just the few I remember. :p
30. williamdroid (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
My friend has it dual booting WP7 and Android Jelly Bean 4.1
9. nexusdude (Posts: 151; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
As a great man once said: WINNING!... and something about armless children which is truly horrible.
10. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Wow i never actually realized how ugly that phone is. But kudos to who can hack stuff like this. That has always impressed me.
11. iampayne (Posts: 243; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
I have the T-Mobile version of this phone. Not gonna lie I still perfer Windows 6.5 with Sense on it. And I wish HTC could make another legendary phone like this again.
13. osanilevich (Posts: 245; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)
This phone continues to be amazing! This phone is showing the world that you don't need top of the line specs to run a modern OS. If only all phones had the lifespan of this device
14. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 822; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Lol, it seems every year a new OS makes it on to the HD2 despite it getting older,just how far can its hardware go? Why can't all this be done for example on a Galaxy S2 or to a Htc Sensation?
22. downphoenix (Posts: 2357; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
because XDA seems to have a hard on for particular devices like the HD2 or the G1. The devices you mentioned are more than capable, but they dont have XDA fandom with them.
24. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 822; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
They really do pick some odd ones, lol. I think the next phone that must get all these ports has to be a Nexus, e.g. Nexus 4, it can be had at a low price, has the hardware to run any current OS and should have the dev support.
15. pookiewood (Posts: 607; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Android People, would I be able to buy an HTC One or M8 once it's released and put this forked version on it? As a Windows Phone guy I just like the simplicity of this and the One is my favorite Android device.
Edit: and yes I know the HD2 is a WM6.5 device.
16. darkskoliro (Posts: 988; Member since: 07 May 2012)
More and more I regret not having bought this device...
I feel like it could last me till something actually comes and replaces smartphones.
20. livyatan (Posts: 699; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
The HTC HD2 should become a collectible item on auctions..truly a one of a kind :)
21. rsiders (Posts: 275; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Awe I miss my baby so much. I think it died on me from switching OSs so many times and rebooting it all the time. It was an honor to own the legend that is the HD2. It's because of this phone I got to choose between Android and Windows Phone without owning an actual Android/Windows Phone device. And I chose Windows baby. Windows Phone 8.1 is gonna be awesome.
27. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 809; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
I did have a HTC Touch Pro 2... Similar a bit... And that phone was my favorite device of all time! I wished Microsoft had implemented hardware requirements then!! WinMo 6.5 was a great OS for me, and had it continued with support, I would have used it for a longer time!
One of the few phones I kept on to ;)
31. Hammerfest (Posts: 369; Member since: 12 May 2012)
And thus, the HD2 will forever sit on my desk... not a bad sector in memory even though I flashed it hundreds of times, I got lucky, and thus, it shal never be sold!
32. vananucho (Posts: 50; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
Hail HD2! I can think of other 2 legendary ancient devices like my Samsung Captivate, and my Motorola Defy (Both 4 year old devices running CM11), but none of those is as epic as the HD2
33. shefo (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
As we say here in egypt..... it have 7 soals like a cat :p in this case 7 OS s