GSM version of Google Nexus Prime passes through the FCC
going to have an exclusivity on for an undisclosed period of time. That version has yet to have had its visit with the Feds, but should do so shortly considering that there is some talk about a November 3rd launch for the phone.
No matter which model is launched first (and the Verizon model is still the favorite), it will be the debut of the new Ice Cream Sandwich build of the Android OS. And as the FCC filing proves, even if Big Red gets first crack at the model or a similar phone, there should be a Nexus Prime for the GSM using population in the States. After all, the version of the handset that passed through the FCC included radio bands compatible with T-Mobile and AT&T.
source: FCC via AndroidCentral
1. Optimus (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 13:53 5 0
The day is getting closer. I can taste it!
2. koreampuff (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 13:55 2 0
The writer just had to save that last piece of of news I was really looking at this article for until the last sentence. haha confirmation, YES.
3. willardcw4 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 13:56 2 0
I WANTZ IT! :) I'm not gunna lie, I'm pretty excited about ICS.
4. Galen20K posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:03 2 0
Cannot WAIT to run some AWS goodness through my Nexus Prime! - D
5. Thump3rDX17 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:06 3 0
this might be the first Nexus they'll eventually make available for all carriers.
11. remixfa posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:34 4 0
it just confirmed it had Tmo 4g signals in the FCC Filing. Tmo has launched every nexus device. i doubt this will be different. My gut feeling is the "vzw exclusive" is going to be slightly different than the "nexus".
the real question is if its really going to be in store or not.. it better be in every store darn it!! lol
7. Carlos (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:11 0 1
Yeah in other articles read the same that it has tmobile bands, but then were updted saying they were AT&T bands only.
12. Galen20K posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:39 2 0
no they neglected to include the T-Mobile AWS at first then they updated their Article saying it DOES include AWS. you have that backwards Carlos. Every Single Article online including the Actual FCC website lists T-Mobile's bands.
13. nak1017 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:55 0 0
Yea, good catch, it does say AWS is called out right in the beginning of the 1st exposure doc
15. Carlos (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 15:02 0 0
Yeah true noiced that
8. Yeeee posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:13 9 2
No hating on this phone by apple or wp7 fans. None of you have tried ice cream sandwich. If it was a half baked os no one would be using it. At least android hasn't looked the same since it came out. Apple is copying more from android than android is from apple. The specs make it the best phone coming out, so deal with it. Android has the best phone out right now followed by iPhone4s, Wp7 and bada last.
37. Penny posted on 08 Oct 2011, 22:02 2 0
WP7 user here, and I'm not hating on this device. I actually have high hopes for ICS, only because the UI is getting a significant face lift from one of the people involved with WebOS, which itself was a nice OS.
But, I can safely say that up until ICS, Android's overall UX has been...less than spectacular, and possibly bordering on frustrating. I do hope this changes that though; I don't lose anything by Android getting better.
10. protozeloz posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:31 3 0
Make it compatible worldwide! So I can buy it and use it here
14. philanthropissed posted on 08 Oct 2011, 14:58 0 0
Man, I really hope the AT&T variant has a LTE radio.
38. Droid_X_Doug posted on 08 Oct 2011, 23:54 0 0
Better chance of HSPA+ than LTE from AT&T for this year.
16. Mozarrt posted on 08 Oct 2011, 15:46 0 13
Not very excited about this phone mainly due to the OS. Ice Cream Sandwich just looks very outdated.
17. willardcw4 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 15:50 6 0
How would you know? Just based on the leaks?! IT ISN'T EVEN OUT YET!!!!
20. Mozarrt posted on 08 Oct 2011, 15:56 0 6
Indeed based on those very leaks. It can't and won't be any different to what we have already seen.
24. Mozarrt posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:01 0 5
Just look at it, It is effectively the same as Android 1.5. How can this not be outdated.
25. willardcw4 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:08 9 0
You sir, are a moron.
26. remixfa posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:08 6 0
it looks absolutely nothing like android 1.5 you apparently have never used an android. and to say it looks outdated must mean that there is something that is more functional than android. And that is? iOS certainly hasnt changed in 5 iterations? Are you are new BADA cheer leader?? lol. What is more "updated" than android?
27. Alantef posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:08 4 0
you have to be joking...1.5 is G1....which i had and it looks nothing like it...
28. Mozarrt posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:11 0 7
Works on exactly the same principles. Ugly icons and widgets and moving left and right to all your homescreens.
Atleast MeeGo Harmatten and Windows Phone are breaking this dreadlock.
30. roscuthiii posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:36 4 0
You realize Live Tiles is basically just widgets right?
46. Penny posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:05 0 0
Live tiles are not exactly like widgets. Both do display live information, but in WP7, you don't have to download and install widgets. You can basically take ANYTHING and pin it as a Tile to the wall, including an individual web page, a single contact or group of contacts(with live information, status updates, etc. on the tile), or any screen within an application. It's like an advanced bookmarking system with live information rather than a standalone widget.
34. wassup posted on 08 Oct 2011, 19:42 6 0
lol... meego- swiping actions
your point is?
i think ur confusing this with iOS... iOS hasn't changed its look for 5 iterations... not android
41. remixfa posted on 09 Oct 2011, 09:36 0 0
lol.. now i know you must be kidding? meego is dead. Windows phone is nothing but a wall of similar colored widgets.
47. Penny posted on 09 Oct 2011, 13:17 1 0
See my comment about the live tiles above (comment #46). Also, it appears that Mozarrt was trying to argue that from its inception, the UI of Android works on the same principles. Obviously it is better looking and more polished now than it was to start, but at its core, it is still several walls of applications. This isn't to say that it doesn't work for those who use it, it just means that some people will find it stale, which is exactly what Mozarrt expressed.
18. Hi (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 15:53 2 0
i just jizz hahaha
39. sethyvball posted on 09 Oct 2011, 01:17 0 0
And i hope it has a small bezel which makes the phone itself smaller than the SGSll.
22. VZW World (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 15:58 3 0
Why is VZW so reluctant to put the dual banded radios in their phones? It would be a no brainer for business and casual world travelers alike, if VZW would make more of their phones Global!
23. lonewolf2210 (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:00 1 0
There is NO chance of this being on sprint I take it, because they got the iphone. SUCKS
29. Reepa posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:31 1 5
I so want this fone to not live up to the expectations so dat some of y'all wud jus collapse smh.....
31. willardcw4 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 16:45 5 0
Why can't people learn to spell or use semi-decent grammar... seriously, we need some translators.
35. wassup posted on 08 Oct 2011, 19:45 1 1
i think someone is envious... are you mad that the Crapple i4S isn't better than this?
don't worry... you're still enjoying android 2.1 on iOS5... it's gonna get better
32. IDCAdrenoSUks (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 17:14 0 0
be funny if this can't beat the gs2
33. taz89 posted on 08 Oct 2011, 17:41 1 0
cant wait for this phone to hit the uk,all i want is amoled hd and ICS
44. Nickmfnjackson posted on 09 Oct 2011, 10:14 0 0
3 day from getting my sgs2 and this news breaks. I was set, completely done waiting then THIS happens. Now I have to wait. Hopefully this time I won't be 6+ months behind the rest of the world.
45. willardcw4 posted on 09 Oct 2011, 10:45 0 0
My dad just got a sgs2 yesterday. It really is a great phone. I think you'd still be really happy with it. The biggest usable differences between the nexus and the gs2 is the screen and ICS. The gs2 will get ICS, and the screen on the gs2 is still awesome... but ya, the nexus screen should be pretty phenomenal. Still a good choice and you won't be disappointed.
51. InspectorGadget80 posted on 10 Oct 2011, 19:08 0 0
PLEASE COME TO AT&T my Atrix FEELS old already with the GS II being out