Eldar Murtazin: upcoming aluminum-clad Nokia Catwalk is a top-notch device, hindered by WP8
1. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Heck man, WP is improving. Glad to see this guy praising Nokia after a long time.
4. tech2 (Posts: 1312; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I absoluetly love Nokia but feel Windows Phone 8 is not upto the scratch. I mean the hardware side of Nokia is absoluetly fantastic but Windows Phone, having been released for so long still havent got some of the prominent apps which even Blackberry has, now !
Only if they could release an android variant of Lumia 920 or something (to be on the safer side and diversification) even with the stock Android, they would have got a bit better sales (not that they dont right now)
15. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
M$ dolls out cash only on one condition ... NOKIA doesn't pee in pants to feel the warmth.... in short stay away from all Linux variants ...
25. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Did I say WP is the best OS? No, I'm for one asking WP to be improved with as many features as that of Symbian.But you seriously lost me when you said you want Android on 920. Don't people like choices?
57. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
I hope tizen and firefox os just die... Ubuntu touch and sailfish look more likely to succeed, and wp has potential, just wait 4 blue
50. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 947; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
WP8 was only released a few months ago, and it's a completely different operating system than Windows mobile/CE, despite what Android fans believe. However, the apps are starting to show up, finally, and there will eventually be enough to satisfy the most unforgiving critics...
What WP8 really needs is a proper file browser, better movie file support (MKV), and a media player that can play audio with a proper touch cursor. A better notification center would be nice as well, and I'm sure voice recognition and command is coming too. Nokia's hardware is just the icing on the cake ;o)
61. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
Did u just hit the nail on the head? I think u did, your second paragraph is all microsoft needs, bravo.
71. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Voice recognition is already there just long click the home button...
18. 8logic (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
i just hate the grid and M$ anticompetitive like the fruit.
36. andro. (Posts: 1927; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I've seen it from day to day interactions with customers in store and sales figures,the wp grid live tile ui is very unpopular. Its quite possible that Xmas this year will see windows phones reduced to 80 and 140 prices without contract to clear back logged unsold stock like the way the lumia 610 and 800 were Christmas just gone
52. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 947; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
With a name like "andro", do you really expect anybody to trust your point of view regarding the popularity and appeal of Windows Phones?
7. shuaibhere (Posts: 859; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
"There is Windows Phone
inside, it did not change and it
spoils all of the fun. 'Oh,
Windows Phone, why are you not
Android' said people around,
shaking their heads,"
This is what we have been saying for months...
A tight slap on wp fans...
14. MetroUI.is.confusing (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
No OpenGL in OS
No WebGL in browser
32. Microsoft.is.a.jerk (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
MS is anti competitive.
No OpenGL & No WebGL is an MS way of try to stiff the competition
20. windroid (unregistered)
That's why Samsung makes two smartphones with that OS.
The problem is that Samsung doesn’t have a chance against Nokia, so better Nokia keep WP otherwise it will cannibalize Samsung market with Android OS.
45. SamsungFan (Posts: 201; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Nokia can catch up with samsung only if they move away from wp.else there is no way for nokia.
Nokia has great designs, good hardware , excellent camera but wp ruins them all
62. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
Your brain is the worst one ever. Just saying samdroid
72. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Are you serious...have you even tried wp8 for longer than 10mins?? I was.skeptical but it truly is awesome! I have had every os before and loved android loathed ios but now love wp8! Its awesome intergration better than apples and the slick design and hardware of the devices is to die for i mean i challenge you to find a better design than the htc 8s! Beutifully done multitasking and better voice recognition than siri and on a par with google now...please dont judge before you have a proper look at it!
75. SamsungFan (Posts: 201; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
I have an omnia w. So I've used wp
Problems of wp
All New titles are not released
Some may release after months of waiting
Voice recognition is not good compared to Google now
No YouTube , instagram......
No support for mkv, flv....
Don't support 1080 screens
Don't support quad core
And all this are available on Android
Give me a few reasons why I should choose wp (I'm not trolling because Samsung also has wp devices)
51. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 947; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
I hope you WP8 haters get your Android phone's and tablets hacked. That would teach you for mouthing off and dissing other OS's in the world. Also, you're missing the point: Nokia's machine is a bottle of pure bliss, and it will give both HTC and Samsung a good run for their money. Amen!
8. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well, could be a great device.. once it gets updated after Christmas
26. WeHateModernUI (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
Good luck nokia,
We hope you can GET RID OF ELOP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
11. yero789 (unregistered)
Nokia will sure make Windows Phone better,we just need time,the app catalogue is getting bigger and bigger,and Windows Phone is very fast,fluid and it's fun to use that OS(at least for me)! :D
13. MetroUI.is.confusing (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
WP looks fast and fluid... that's right.... but Metro UI is only a skin deep beauty.
Inside that looking fast/fluid UI, is a BORING UI. BAD DESIGNED UI. and user were NOT FOOLED. They choose android & apple because they feel WP8 Metro UI is NOT GOOD.
73. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Dude are you serious...the lumia 920 is one of the best specced and greatest phones in 2012-13 hence nokia are probably going to put out something even better with the catwalk so dont judge a os before it has fully grown as i beleive thats what apple did to android a few years ago...now look!
12. MetroUI.is.confusing (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
I agree with Eldar,
WP7 & WP8 main problem were the UI. The Metro UI.
Metro UI looks flashy, but in reality is very shallow.
Even the 'classic' iOS UI is more useful than the WP8 metro UI.
My advice to Microsoft is... FIRED JEFF BELFIORE!!! Change the Metro UI back to something like iOS (clasic without widget) or Android (with widget).
30. windroid (unregistered)
MetroUI.is.confusing for dumb people.
37. Skiman (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
I agree MetroUI.is.confusing if you are a bit of a slow learner and can't figure out Metro UI then its shallow.
'Even the 'classic' iOS UI is more useful than the WP8 metro UI'
Wow, have you even used iOS? You are just playing dumb I think
65. ex.DR-DOS (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
I guess you were the one that haven't been trying all the OS.
17. NokiaFTW (Posts: 708; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Oh, iOS has changed alot since 2007 , hasn't it ?
Stop complaining about WP. Agree it , that its more better looking UI than Android or iOS . It just needs the apps . And those will come as time passes .
19. 8logic (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
android's UI rules, since i can customize everything about it!!!!!!
33. Microsoft.is.a.jerk (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
From UI/UX point of view...
1. android is the best
2. iOS is the second best (it served well for old people who don't want to learn something new)
10001. Microsoft BOB UI. Only good for 3 years - 5 years old kid that never touch computer.
10002. WP. It's the worst UI/UX ever.... it's only purpose is for showing smoothness... i called the showgirl UI.
74. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Your comment is pointless...have you ever tried wp8...its awesome the software running on a faster chip 2ill run amazingly fast in fact faster than android or ios. Also the. Voice recognition os better than anything apple have created and the lumia 920 has superior hardware and sorftware specs than most other thing! Thats why it was voted best phone in endgadget awards!
56. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 947; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Cyber criminals just LOVE Android, and they can remotely customize everything on your insecure device as well ;o)
24. WeHateModernUI (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
That's right.... iOS hasn't change at all since 2007.
BUT THAT WASN'T A PROBLEM.
It served it's targeted user very well... EASY OF USE UI.
For Android... it also targeted it's user well.
For a person who want to be different with other (heavy customization)
BUT THE PROBLEM is not android/apple
THE PROBLEM WITH WP7 / WP8.
Microsoft trying to be different.
Microsoft though IF IT COULD CREATE SOMETHING NEW AND PATENTED IT, it could be the next big things and android/apple will not follow.
AND HERE'S THE PROBLEM.... MICROSOFT IS USED TO BE A BULLY THROUGH OUT THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY.... SO WHEN MICROSOFT STUDY found out that people don't like metro UI. but they still FORCE IT.
35. windroid (unregistered)
Boy, your head is about to explode!
53. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 947; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Stop writing in CAPPS, and then maybe we'll take your comments seriously. No, actually, that's a lie. I read what you wrote, and I still don't take you seriously ;o)
64. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
better looking is really subjective. me, personally, I hate the live tiles
21. N-fanboy (Posts: 477; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I think even iOS is more customisable than WP... And ios ain't customisable... :-(
27. nlbates66 (Posts: 201; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
lol now that's just a poor and uninformed comment.
29. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 664; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Windows Phone certainly is holding Nokia back, its one of the main reasons why the 808 PV camera has taken so long to get to a Nokia WP.
Still wish Nokia had gone with MeeGo for high end and Symbian for mid to low end, both OSs were far more robust and capable of much more than what event WP8 is.
31. Microsoft.is.a.jerk (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
The big problem with WP8 is it's a closed platform
and nokia can't touch the OS level.
Nokia only allowed to touch the 3rd party area.
38. Skiman (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
I agree, haters of Windows phone are mostly noobs who are just scared and/or are sheep. These noobs will learn, it will just take them a lot longer
If you work in IT, you love Windows phone
39. Edmund (Posts: 645; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
this guy's the biggest nob since joshua topolsky of the verge.
40. papss (Posts: 3376; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Wow talk about idiot fanboys on this site these days..darac taking charge with more pul string comments. I would never want Nokia to make a my space device.. As its been said a million times.. Its unrefined, lacks efficiency and is buggy.. No thanks myspace/android
41. shuaibhere (Posts: 859; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Same lame comment about android....
Have you ever used a phone running on jb???
66. stewie (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Same lame question about Android...
With every release Android fanboys seem to ask the same question over and over again. When Gingerbread was current and messy, the same fanboy would say have you tried Honeycomb? Then later updated to Honeycomb and realized it has all kinds of mess again, the same question pops up again for ICS. Now ICS isn't so great (again), the same question pops up for JB. Seriously, are you guys tired of s***???
To answer your question, YES, I've tried JB and it's still a mess!
42. GJanee (Posts: 196; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
it's kinda cute how you guys cry for an android nokia (which hopefully will never happen). :D
43. lyndon420 (Posts: 1637; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Someone needs to trademark the 'hindered by WP' phrase. It's a gooder.
44. LracH (Posts: 4; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Does anyone remember how much android sucked? I do...it has taken many updates get to where it is today... can't want for this catwalk phone.