Did Samsung show off the Galaxy S III at CES?
During Samsung’s CES press conference, they covered a wide array of products from their portfolio, like cameras and other appliances, but at one point during the event when they were talking about the neat features of their Samsung WV850F camera, an interesting looking handset popped up. If you happen to watch the video, at around the 7:10 mark, we begin to see a handset that possibly might be the Samsung Galaxy S III.
Looking very closely at it, we find a device that seems to embody the qualities we’ve come to expect to be a part of a next-generation smartphone – like a super thin bezel and generous sized display. Aside from showing how the smartphone can control the zoom functions with the camera, we don’t get a sneak peek to anything else regarding the handset in question. Nevertheless, it surely makes your head turn knowing that this is possibly the next Galaxy S III.
No doubt there’s going to be a lot of focus surrounding the Samsung Galaxy S III between now and the official start of MWC, but of course, it’ll be an interesting few weeks leading up to the festivities. Still, the handset in the video could also be none other than some sort of mockup or concept they concocted for the show, but nonetheless, we’re sure there’s going to be a lot of excitement around it.
via Sammobile & Unwired View
1. tluv00 (Posts: 134; Member since: 18 Oct 2007)
I see two problems with a bezel that small.
1) Constantly activating apps that are on the sides of the screen.
2) Too little bezel leaves little room for a case to grip onto the side and remain protective IMO.
Too much looks terrible but too little IMO can mess up the experience/durability of the device.
29. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
one thing I read before is that they can control how sensitive certain parts of the screen are.. basically making the outter most areas of the screen less sensitive to accidental touch.
if that's the sgs3 I want it! I sure hope it has that second Gen gorilla glass.
60. sgogeta4 (Posts: 393; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
Samsung and Corning (who makes Gorilla glass) have a massive joint venture for fortified glass. Don't worry, even if it doesn't have a named product like the 2nd gen Gorilla glass, it's glass will definitely be on par or better - just like the unnamed fortified glass on their other products like the Galaxy Nexus.
49. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
it also looks a little oversized... the bezel is slightly too small but it looks uncomfortable to hold with ur hands on the sides anyways
52. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1001; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
While I don't necessarily agree with you on the case point, because I think that having a good grip on the top and bottom would be enough to keep the case on the phone (and the picture shows there is a small bezel for a small grip on the sides). Also, I do think Samsung makes some of its own cases (or at least they work with a manufacturer to design the cases), so I would think they would have thought it through if this device is real and not a mock up.
But, your other point does bring up somewhat of a good question. I have wondered if Android would bring in double-tap to open up applications in the future. I myself have experienced from time to time opening up an app by mistake. I think it should be an option under settings whether you want to turn that on or not. So, if they fixed that problem, I am sure this would be a good phone.
2. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Here's to hoping that is the SGSIII. . . W8 a sec, doesn't that resemble the sketch of the so called iPhone5? Damn the suing thing will rage on I guess.
3. cristhiansaid (Posts: 30; Member since: 25 Jun 2010)
wtf????? samsung galaxy s III???? it is so thin and sexy.... lol
5. k1ng617 (Posts: 264; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
Although sexy it looks fake to me. Plus, why are the corners of the screen rounded? Screams mockup!
8. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Sure it is a mock-up, but as I can remember most if not all phones started out as a mock-up design.
6. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
looks like a Galaxy S2 look at the bottom you can see the home button witch could be of no use on a deice ruining ICS from the moments its shipped
7. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Yeah the only physical difference I see is the widened screen.
61. sumdude (Posts: 50; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
That sure looks like a Galaxy Note to these eyes, distance and angle just makes it look like an edge to edge design.
53. Synack (Posts: 672; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Only the Nexus will be using the on-screen buttons. Currently the Nexus S and SGS2 are going to be upgraded to ICS and neither have the on-screen buttons. Also the SGS2 has that home button. So it is very possible.
55. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
The idea so far is That everyone uses it because they can make better designs with their devices and have a clean look I can understand if a company like HTC takes some time to use the on screen buttons in its new concepts but Samsung has being using this for some time so maybe they are willing to use it to make smaller devices that look better
10. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is un ugly phone... ugly button on the bottom.. so much for carrryng ICS.. ohh wait by Q4 they wil announce that sometime in the 2013 it will carry ICS... thats Samsung for you guys
15. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
oh you become a troll now...if you believe the s3 will come without ics then your dumb...the gs2 line outside the US is already slated to get ics by the end of Q1 so please do dome research before trolling...and finally if you think thats the s3 because of rumours you are stupid because you should have learnt from the apple iphone 5 i mean sorry the 4s rumour mill that you shoulnt believe what you read unless it comes from official source.
18. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I guess karma does exist... didnt understand a word you said/typed... me a troll??? please... what gave that idea...
23. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
dont get mad... dude they do this to me all the time... so just breath... again..... there you go.. better now?
25. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
am not mad i just for once would like to get a decent comment back that looks like it is written by an intelligent person and not a child or a blind fanboy(i have nothing against fanboys but there are some pathetic fanboys from android,ios etc that annoys the hell out of me)
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
dont be quick to judge... what I said about the SGSII is my opinion.. either you respect that or not.. but u made a dumb comment and i reply... just letting you know..
27. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
but your opinion was wrong and right...wrong because the s2 international version will get ics by the end of q1(reason for the many s2 ics official leaks) but right in the fact that the US variant will likely suffer the same fate as the original galaxy s and recieve it very late.you will be wrong that the gs3 will not ship with ics as samsung have said many times that tw5 which is based on ics is already in the works and i bet the s3 will be announced with a new tw5 just like the past 2 years...please elaborate on what was dumb about my comment
31. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
-"and finally if you think thats the s3 because of rumours you are stupid because you should have learnt from the apple iphone 5 i mean sorry the 4s rumour mill that you shoulnt believe what you read unless it comes from official source."-
as of right now regarding the SGSIII all are just rumors as Samsung has not released any information regarding specs on that device..could be wrong but I havent seen anything official by Samsung...
35. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
''is un ugly phone... ugly button on the bottom.. so much for carrryng ICS.. ohh wait by Q4 they wil announce that sometime in the 2013 it will carry ICS'' if its a rumour than why make such bold statements as if its the truth.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7030; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And your Iphone will always looks the same.
24. Leodrade (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
Don't feed troll, you got to know the ropes of Phone Arena, when Gallito, The Miz, Taco, etc, comment, just thumb down the comment and ignore it
28. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
sometimes its hard not to comment especially if that comment is obviously wrong
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
imagine if we all spoke the truth?... we speak our opinion.. thats what a public forum is...
36. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
nothing wrong with opinions as long as they can back it up.
38. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
opinion do not need to back them up.. is my opinion and I am entlitled to it... c'mon.. dont be so sensitive.. take it as is... I make dumb (we all do) comments all the time.. to me that pic is an ugly phone.. I mean for a flag device it should be more than a cheap looking mini tablet
39. Arpad (Posts: 39; Member since: 05 Jan 2012)
There is a fitting quote for you Gallitoking.
“It’s good to be open minded, just don’t let your brains fall out.”
57. jbash (Posts: 342; Member since: 07 Feb 2011)
i find we differ in taste when it comes to phones but i agree with you on the fact that alot of ppl have their panties in a not.
...and the galaxy line is very sharp looking, the iPhone well.....femine,definetly meant for a woman's hands.
21. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
how cute you are trying so hard to be the next taco50, at least he was entertaining, had SOME valid and constructive points and didn't talk like he weighed 400 lbs and out of breath all the time :)
33. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Its not his fault typing must be really a lot of effort. And is definition of ugly really makes me laugh with the claims the galaxy is a copy exact replica of the iPhone so he is indirectly calling the iPhone ugly :)
41. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
the only thing cute it that avatar of yours...never said it was a replica.. it looks a lot like it... which is different... besides lots of people think like me .. thats why the lawsuits have not ended..
44. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
taken from the horses mouth the Galaxy S2 looks a lot like an iPhone and is Ugly then the iPhone must look ugly too. ;)
and I know my avi is cute :)
43. SleepingOz (unregistered)
hahaha good point!
11. Leodrade (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
Put a Samsung logo on top of it and it's my Galaxy Note, and about the bezel it's probably some effect because when a commercial for the HTC Titan launched in my country it seemed as if there was no bezel at all but actually the phone got a quite a big bezel
17. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
exactly its obviously a note but some are just plain gullible and dont use any sense.
13. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
58. E.N. (Posts: 2562; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
It's the middle of January. As if we have any reason to expect any news iPhone news from Apple this early
22. jove39 (Posts: 1474; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
And you were saving this article till CES ends ;) Throw a quad-core exynos and I'll ditch gNex for this.
30. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Assuming this will be announced at the end of Feb/early March, it'll launch around June-July... Meh, too late to be honest -__- why didn't they just announce it at CES? Because they couldn't get ICS on it in January...
45. Morten (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
It looks much like the version on this picture.
galaxy+s3&um=1&hl=da&sa=N&biw= 1311&bih=684&tbm=isch&prmd=imv ns&tbnid=WnI1ldYV5QJd8M:&imgre furl=http://m.christianpost.co m/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-to-be-waterproof-67311/&docid=is_hKXh5cIFiHM&im gurl=http://images.christianpo st.com/full/49743/samsung-galaxy-s3.png%253Fw%253D300&w=586&h=6 50&ei=4MYVT8myBo-Vswa4nOAL&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1 056&vpy=25&dur=1058&hovh=236&h ovw=213&tx=140&ty=131&sig=1178 92525704469337781&page=3&tbnh= 155&tbnw=160&start=36&ndsp=20& ved=1t:429,r:4,s:36
46. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Or it could just be a remote control that's camouflaged to look like a phone.
47. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if its a remote control.. i want that too :)
48. Gdrye (Posts: 109; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
love the look of the phone, but would be dissapointed if the "home" button stayed, with it being ICS why would you not have on screen key functions? plus it would make bezeless mean a whole new thing....unless i just made that word up just now
59. intos (Posts: 89; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
it seem sooo thiny... and i really dont understand this fashion to make the phones extremely thin... where is the end ?? to make it like a paper ?or maybe to disappear ...
who knows ... by the way looks super...
63. trollface (Posts: 10; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
what happened to the bezel??? looks cool but... i really wish samsung would step up their quality
64. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Im sure they will use better materials than what they did with the Galaxy S-models before. Could be the greatest smartphone outta there for 2012, like the Galaxy II was in 2011.
65. JamesVURV (Posts: 3; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
This looks exactly like the Samsung Note to me....
66. XrandomdroidX (Posts: 11; Member since: 03 Jul 2011)
i dont think it is. ice cream sandwich doesnt use hard kays but softkeys integrated into the software.it might be a new midend phone,seeing quadcores coming into the market,duocores are the midend sections now i guess.....