Apple's iOS 6 beta Maps app compared to Google Maps
1. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Wow. Apple has some catch up to do on their maps.
42. ieronz (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
obviously, but you must give 'em credit. in comparison to google's over 7 year old map. Having this for a start isn't bad at all, as we all know, it'll take some time.
61. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
it is easy co copy than start from the very beginning ;)
how do you deal with this almost complete copy of Google maps? won't you commit a suicide? :)
66. ieronz (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Look I'm being rational here. So I really don't care about the amount of thumb downs from ignorant folks. If the map was lacking really bad, then of course we could boo them. But they've tried something at least, so credit them. That's all. Would do the same for another company.
47. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 219; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
Well at least its 1000x better than the maps program currently implemented in iOS.
53. JonGarrett (Posts: 29; Member since: 06 Aug 2011)
all apple has to do is make their map app prettier to look at than Googles and iDiots will drool all over it regardless of how much its lacking.
59. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Yeah Damn makeup has been screwing with minds of men for long now....
2. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
I am definitely excited to experience the Map software in iOS 6 but, judging from the images above, Google maps looks much cleaner and definitely more polished. I guess lets see what Apple offers once testing is done and the final product is released.
3. andro. (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Is Apple really trying to hit the self destruct button these days?!
68. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
they won't have to, its a dying ecosystem okay!?!
4. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
the only fair comparison is to do screenshots when apple releases iOS 6 in the fall...
even then it still wouldn't be fair because Google Maps has a big reputation and has been developed over years vs apple developing theirs almost a year ago.
but they DEFINITELY have some catching up to do!!!
28. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Here is something i dont get, dont u think its fair to compare them since they will be competitors? And since Apple made it sound like its the best thing ever? Its like some ppl that r saying its not fair to compare iPgone 4S with Samsung Galaxy S3 cos iPhone 4S its updates that they should compare it to iPhone 5 which doesnt xsists at all, sometimes iFans sounds really stupid if u ask me. Not that im saying u sound stupid.
33. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Excuse my typos. Updated = outdated, iPgone= iphone, u get my point
11. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
More like a crude copy. Like those "Droid" tablets straight outta Hong Kong. This is a major loss of face for Apple. They shouldn't even have released anything. And yes, they are bent on self destruction as of late. They have become their own worst enemy.
34. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
NO! NO! NO! APPLE DOESNT COPY! IT INNOVATES
50. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
no they do pantents .....google should sue tho apple does it all the time ijs ....theres samsung parts in a your iphone but apple doesnt tell u ;) thats y the sam s3 and nuxus is way better then the *** ass iphone 4s and 5
65. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Thumbs down, i was bn sarcastic, geeez!
43. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
if they have a patent, then go for it... if not then they cant really do much...
6. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Apple Map's dont even look like they are finished...
44. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
did u not read the BETA slapped on it.. thats why it isnt released yet...
8. Nizar (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
Apple maps does render some of the icons better than google maps. But I'd rather get more information compared to a beautiful map with less info.
51. jroc74 (Posts: 6014; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Function over form.....sound like me....lol.
And I agree 100%. Thats why I like Android so much.
9. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
I think their point and mine has been, Google maps is amazing and free. Apple did not need to waste all that time and money developing this, a competitor that will always be inferior to Google maps. What Google has accomplished is amazing with street view (basically the entire world photographed) sat view, indoor view, 3d view and soon to be offline.
This move also takes away from both solutions now. Separating the markets means less traffic info to Google and iMaps, hurting both solutions. As usual, Apple effin things up for the consumers with their selfish, narrow visions that only serves to screw the consumers.
13. Fallout09 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Wow… I complete missed that issue where traffic updates are going to hit. Nice catch.
17. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Yep, this is a BIG deal. Basically a free amazing solution that basically is the defacto standard in mapping for billions of people (yes billions between android, pc, the web, the world over uses Google maps/earth) will now be eliminated from millions of users iDevices. Those millions of iDevices used to send info to Google. Those billions of Google maps users will now in turn, not be sending info to the millions of iDevices.
Both solutions are hurt but iDevices will be in the major minority here so their solution was totally unnecessary and hurts EVERYONE! Thanks Apple, as usual a day late, a dollar short and TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!
Next time waste you money on playing catchup with something that needs catching up! Maybe like, umm widgets? Prolly cost you slightly less than this billion dollar mapping venture you entered for no effing reason!
37. Ivan6479 (Posts: 249; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Actually Google maps is not free for Apple. They were actually having to pay licensing fees in order to use the software, which was agreed upon way back when, so this is probably another reason Apple wanted to get away from that. This is most likely why they recently bought out a company that already specialized in mapping technology, so it isn't like they had to start from the ground up. Unfortunately for Apple though it looks like they shot themselves in the foot, so their new maps is a big fail just like their new iOS is. LOL
10. MartyK (Posts: 834; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
I think Apple remove those extra/other streets on their map in order to keep their mapping cleaner...they need to patent this clean mapping system of theirs...lol
14. Fallout09 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
No, Apple is only including maps to addresses where people use Apple products. Apparently no iPhone/iPad users live on those cross streets. Pretty soon Apple will make it were users can only text/call other Apple users.