Apple whips out a Nokia Lumia and Xperia arc at court and says "Not every phone needs to look like an iPhone!"
3. KingKurogiii posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:09 33 0
the lawyer was using the devices as examples that not all phones have to look like iPhones.
19. KingKurogiii posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:33 10 1
that's mean, i don't see why this has so many thumbs up.
31. s.mrabet posted on 22 Aug 2012, 06:55 12 1
because he dont read the article, just blindly comment! and thats stupid
40. cepcamba posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:45 4 2
Wow man thanks. Now I know I'm "The most" in something.
11. thelegend6657 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:49 19 2
You so lazy you can t even read a short article
39. cepcamba posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:43 1 2
I read the whole article damn it. :)
The idea didn't register in my head. I just figured out (after reading your very nice comments) that he was saying the Arc and the Lumia are examples of phones that DOESN'T look like iPhones. I thought he whipped out the two phones because they are examples of phones that look like an iPhone. Etc, etc. Why am I explaining?
Sorry for acquiring hate (in the form of thumb downs). :p
2. loken posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:08 10 17
shame on u apple... bringing sony to this mess again..
21. dblue45 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:38 12 0
Well that's more like giving Nokia and Sony a credit for their designs calling them more original!
29. Droid_X_Doug posted on 22 Aug 2012, 06:50 4 1
Hmmm. If Apple is having to explain how MS and Sony phones are not copy-cats, things must not be perceived to be going too well inside the Apple legal team. There is a saying in U.S. politics - if you have to explain your position, you are losing the debate....
41. cepcamba posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:46 3 1
You see? We understood the article the same way!!!! We thought Apple was s**tting on Nokia and Sony!
4. andro. posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:17 23 6
Well excuse me for a moment Apple but both the nokia lumia,and Sony arc come in black colours,both are rectangular in shape,both have a touchscreen central in the front of the device,both have a speaker above the screen and both have a central home button below the screen either in capacity or button format. Both devices also use a variant of 'slide to unlock' to unlock the screen also. The sony arc also uses a touchscreen icon grid system in the app drawer like samsung,a grid menu system being used in phones from nokia etc for years before apple in candy bar button phones.
Aren't these features essentially the whole list of things Apple has been crying about Samsung about?!
25. RamyRamz69 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:50 6 3
All cars have a bumper, wheels, engine, seats and a roof. But you can tell when Kia makes something really similar looking to Toyota.
Posted from my Sony Xperia Arc. I can even attach a picture if you want to realize that not only Apple fan-boys don't like Samsung.
28. remixfa posted on 22 Aug 2012, 06:48 6 0
i think his point was, that if you watch apple's "evidence", its all about how you "feel" about the design. They stressed their "curved rectangle", centered screen, and large home button during the trial like they invented it. Apple never went into detail, Samsung did. Detail kills their case. Apple's case was presented in kindergarten descriptions.
33. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:05 6 2
Exactly. Notice how Apple only pulls out phones that are not a threat to them. Imagine if the Nokia or the Sony were selling like Samsung is right now, then they DEFINITELY would not have shown those 2 models.
Apple is full of absolute BS. remixfa you are so right about the kindergarten presentation. lol
45. -box- posted on 22 Aug 2012, 08:01 1 1
Good idea for a metaphor, except Toyota "copies" Kia nowadays. Hyundai too. Hyundai and Kia have both set the design bar, and other manufacturers are trying to match it. Seemingly only Ford and Mazda have matched or surpassed that bar
50. RamyRamz69 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 10:00 3 0
Oh please, the Cerato is a blatant copy of a Corrola. Not the other way around.
Also why would Japanese industrial designers copy Korean industrial designers?
52. Nathan_ingx posted on 22 Aug 2012, 11:00 1 0
Hey Appy!!! Build cars and start suing motobrands too!!! :D
34. poddey posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:11 5 0
I believe you are missing the point... yes the Sony Xperia Arc and Nokia Lumia 900 share those traits with the iPhone 3GS BUT they look nothing like the iPhone whereas the SGS2 does.
That's not to say that people would confuse the SGS2 for the iPhone when they are about the make the purchase. Whether this means that Apple should win I'll leave up to the jury in the court of law but to the common man/woman on the street the resemblance that the GS2 bears to the 3GS is undeniable.
35. XiphiasGladius posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:21 1 0
In regards to the speakers above the screen I believe all phones have that one since it's the perfect place to place your ears to receive calls. . .
And no sony's app drawer isn't the same as what samsung uses, sony's app drawer is almost bland while sumsung's part is more elaborate. . .
I believe that so called apple star witness is implying that if you glance at both of those phones you wont mistake it for an iPhone. Oh well this is still ridiculous in many ways anyway. . .
38. frydaexiii posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:36 2 1
Yeah, if the Arc sold 2 million over it's opening weekend or if the Lumia even hit the 2 million mark, they'll be telling a different story.
7. phitch posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:33 5 1
You know, except the Lumia looks like the old iPod Nano design.
8. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:35 5 1
Well, most stupid argument from a professional lawyer.
Those phones can be different, but make them in minimalist style and they all look similar, and that's not crime.
37. poddey posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:29 3 1
Spot on. That's the problem with Apple's design patent - it is too generic.
A smartphone is going to be somewhat rectangular because the screen is a rectangle and rounded corners serve an ergonomic function. To say that no one else should be allowed to make a rectangular smartphone with rounded corners and a centred screen is like saying no one else can build a rectangular car with angled front and back windscreens and have an equal length front and rear overhang from the wheels.
Taking the car analogy one step further you would say that you should still be able to build a car with those same characteristics as long as you can add other design elements to make it look different - which is what Sony and Nokia have done but Samsung have (deliberately) failed to do.
46. -box- posted on 22 Aug 2012, 08:10 2 1
Agreed. Their patent describes many prior things. Clipboards, appliances, pencil boxes, laptops, erasers, remote controls, some floor tile... It's a ridiculous patent. I'd live it if a lawyer for Samsung would have taken a generic clipboard, had it painted to match the color of an iPad, put a piece of tape in the middle to cover where the logo would be, and ask the witnesses and apple folks to identify it, then reveal that it's just a clipboard. Better if it's an old clipboard, like from pre-apple days
9. shuaibhere posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:36 4 0
And there is no need that only one phone should have face centred rectangular screen with moulded edges.....
Is there any rule like that??
10. wendygarett posted on 22 Aug 2012, 04:47 9 5
both iphone and n9 design are old but why n9 looks way better than iphone? maybe it just me :)
14. i_am_aman posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:23 6 1
Judge: F**k iPhone... where can I get one of these?? :P :D
16. haseebzahid posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:26 1 4
from which side does lumia looks like a iphone(which actully looks like a brick)
18. Mittal posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:29 0 1
LMAO... u r not alone...read the first few comments!!
20. i_am_aman posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:35 3 0
Now a days, We've so many Einsteins crawling all over the web.
22. smallworld posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:38 6 0
HA Even Apple acknowledges that Sony makes unique phones!
48. .POLICE. (banned) posted on 22 Aug 2012, 09:23 0 0
The world acknowledges that SONY makes unique design's!
23. Awaragardiyan posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:39 3 0
Not every iphone(after 3gs) needs to be look like Nokia HS 45 AD 54 that came with Nokia 5800 Xpress Music in 2008
36. smallworld posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:28 0 0
Yeah... but apparently the iphone 4 design is much older than that (2005).
24. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:49 5 2
They could have held up a S3 and gotten the same point across.
26. jroc74 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 05:57 2 1
They coulda held up a G Nex too. I read that Apple plans to name the G Nex in an upcoming lawsuit....
27. Odeira posted on 22 Aug 2012, 06:22 1 0
Surprising that Apple actually recognises that the Nokia Lumia became "successful without copying the design of the iPhone."
I won't be surprised if Apple gazes at Windows Phone next...
30. allen83 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 06:52 2 2
NOkia makes unique phones that are recognizable as a Nokia brand rather than any brand. That is why the N9 is recognized as a Nokia brand rather than an Apple brand.
32. ajac09 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:00 2 1
and lets see how many arcs sold.. and the nokia is rectangle shaped... all smart phones are basically that shape as is the iphone.
43. jack1059 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:57 1 0
I'm so sick of all this BS. Apple, or anyone else, does not own the black with rounded edges rectangle. Nor does it own an icon that looks like an old telephone. Nor a finger motion. Apple has set the standard that virtually everyone is now following. That's it. End of story. Everyone needs to stop using this antiquated patent system as a way to protect their market share.
44. speckledapple posted on 22 Aug 2012, 07:58 0 0
it brings to question why would you want to?
47. jibraihimi posted on 22 Aug 2012, 09:22 0 0
Samsung should have brought original Prada phone to court, in response to this............ :) Apple should also Learn to be original..........
51. TheRetroReplay posted on 22 Aug 2012, 10:49 1 1
The only reason why they're not suing Nokia or Sony is because Apple doesn't see them as a threat.
53. InspectorGadget80 posted on 22 Aug 2012, 19:28 1 0
They only show those phones because it doesn't THREATENED Apple's stock/sales of the iPhone. Look at HTC it doesn't looks like the iPhone but yet they BAN THEM and HTC is loosing sales because of it
54. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 22 Aug 2012, 22:45 1 0
nokia and sony always make different looking phones... samsung always copies!!!