Apple iPhone phablet coming as soon as this May?
On Sunday, we learned some more about these two models. A new report out of Japan indicates that both models will not be released at the same time, and both will not be considered variants of the Apple iPhone 6. According to this new information, the 5.7 inch iPhone will be part of an entirely new series. And here is the best part of the rumor. The iPhone phablet will be launched this May while the iPhone 6 will be launched during September.
The large-screened Apple iPhone will purportedly be powered by the same A7 processor inside the Apple iPhone 5s, the Apple iPad Air and the Apple iPad mini with Retina display. It is unknown whether Apple intends to update the phablet every year, similar to what Samsung does with its Galaxy Note series.
Apple once defended the size it chose for the iPhone screen by saying that 3.5 inches was the perfect size for one-handed use of the device. Now that the Cupertino based tech titan has gone to 4 inches and is rumored to go higher, it seems that taking on Android is the most important goal.
Thanks, Anonymous Tipster!
source: YahooJapan (translated) via GforGames
34. trustory (Posts: 117; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I can hold the s4 easily with one hand 3.5 is small af
36. nctx77 (Posts: 617; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Lol! It's not about can you hold the phone with one hand, but use the entire touch screen with one hand(average user). I can grip the ipad mini with one hand. I can even grip the ipad air with one hand. You are missung the point. With that being said, I would like an iPhone in the 4.7 to 5 inch range. Why are you talking about 3.5 inch? The iPhone is currently 4 inches.
64. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
The only part of the S4 that's hard to reach is the upper left hand side if you're holding it with your right hand. If you bring your hand upward slightly you should be able to reach the upper left section with no problem.
Well, Apple did say that 3.5 is the perfect size for one hand use. 3.5" is way too small.
66. quakan (Posts: 1238; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Apple also said that at the time where they only had a 3.5" screen. It would be bad business to promote something that your company does not currently offer, but your competitors do.
35. valapsp (Posts: 484; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
In terms of pricing: sell two kidneys and get one iPhaplet.
40. nctx77 (Posts: 617; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
The note 3 is $300 on contract. I see the 5.7 iPhone being no different.
49. michko (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jan 2014)
Sure there is, the Note 3 comes with 32gb. The iphone 5 or 5S are $299.99 for 32gb....with a 4 inch screen. You really should know your stuff before your comment.
68. downphoenix (Posts: 2502; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
I think this would be a smart move on Apple's part. May will be around the time the GS5 will release. So this device can steal thunder from that, and also get the pounce on the Note 4 or any other phablets that Samsung is planning.
69. Ashoaib (Posts: 2503; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Yes plzzzzz! iphone looks like a gay phone.. plz make it 4.7"..... 5.7" is also welcomed...
2. npaladin2000 (Posts: 155; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
I think Apple needs to do this, and it's a welcome development if they are. What are they supposed to do, tell all the users wanting a large screen "sorry, we don't want your business, go to Samsung or LG?" Besides, this offers an option for folks who might have less-than-optimal eyesight. When companies are forced to compete, consumers win.
18. Tommy1960i (Posts: 103; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
The only reason why Apple got a smaller marketshare in smartphones business is the screen size and no widgets in iOS. If they manage to accomplish this goals, the direction of phones will have a turning point.
19. ihavenoname (Posts: 1549; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Two main reasons: Prize (iPhone is pricey, especially outside US, where is more common to buy phone off-contract) and screen size. Apple has many aces in it's sleeve.
67. quakan (Posts: 1238; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Apple isn't looking for the most market share nor concerned about it because they've always been about making the most profit.
25. Suo.Eno (Posts: 290; Member since: 17 Feb 2013)
Nope... Apple's ongoing tactic; "Buy an iPhone 1st then buy an iPad Mini/Air for your larger screen needs!" psychological RDF, which I'll stress w/ a straight face = WORKS brilliantly as much as I'm a huge Apple critic... so far.
3. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Apple needs to just do what it does best - be a niche company and not worry about what others are doing...
31. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Kinda like saying Pepsi is niche ya know
4. ihavenoname (Posts: 1549; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Would love to see one, but not possible yet. First, they should release ~4.5" screen device so developers can start optimize apps to new resolution/size, but old apps still would look good. Then they can release bigger screen device with same resolution. Big jump, but not impossible at all.
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
5.7 inch iphone to go along with the note 3 I bought Thursday. Can we say bliss.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Traded it and cash for my 3. I was considering one for a while. Good deal popped up on Craigslist so I pulled the trigger on it. This thing is a beast. I love the create dual screens feature.
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Took me forever to learn how to turn off the ink effect. I had to go on android forums, found out I had to disable the password to bring up lock screen options that's kinda weird, but man I love this phone.
46. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
So great your rocking 2 highend devices:
I have the
S4 Korean S800 version
Note3 A15 version
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Welcome to the club darkk! How do you like it?
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Absolutely amazing device, I wish it auto resized videos, but I just keep it set on limit for mms. Speed, fluidity,battery life, features, man it rocks. I've programmed it to unlock,launch camera, play music, and check my schedule by voice from the lock screen...love it. This morning when my alarm went off I stopped it by voice,instead of picking it up. Smurf it's the truth. Even S - voice is majorly improved. Google now is great, I couldn't find navigation then realized it's simply integrated into Google now. Note 3 is beast man and the IR blaster remote on the lock screen controlling my directv. Dude I'm hooked.
44. ihavenoname (Posts: 1549; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Congatulations and welcome to the club of awesomeness!
45. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Great, nice to know your enjoying it, so am i. But i have the Non LTE version A15.
One thing really pisses me off, is that plastic and fake bogus leather. Come on Samsung, for GOD sake, make the build quality better, and the device heavier.
52. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Feels like heaven compared to how the note two felt it was too slippery
55. imeubeu (Posts: 59; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
you must have the white...the Black has a better feel
48. wando77 (Posts: 366; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Good to see you've seen the light, dark...heh heh
53. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I've always been an Android Fan and I do still love my 5s however
54. ihavenoname (Posts: 1549; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Note 3 and 5S can't be compared. Both are extremely good devices, but in different ways.
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yes both 9.8 outta 10. I had no idea the 3 was this good of a device though. I'm using scrap book like crazy.
63. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9078; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I told you. Whenever I show my phone to people, their jaws drop on how crazy fast it is. Glad you're enjoying it!
P.S. Apple needs to make a phablet to I can jump ship to iOS 8.
65. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If they do I'll be getting it, that way I'm rocking large screens either way. 2013 was my last year buying 4 in. screen phones.
6. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
I have already called it that apple will start to fall. they might not go out of business but the former leader shall fall. the bible says the world leader will fall and i have faith in god's prophecy. Apple's time has passed :P
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
So now god uses an S4 rite? Dude you sound like the typical religious fanatic. This is a tech site, not Sunday school bro.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Whew people go nuts with that biblical stuff man. It's all good
43. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
ya i was making fun of how people get into stuff like this. im honestly excited to see what this does to the market cause the other manufactures are going to have to respond to this.
58. darkkjedii (Posts: 13530; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Me too I'm hooked on tech bro. I can't wait to walk into the convention center for some CES goodness
14. MrKoles (Posts: 333; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
What has God to do with smartphones and technology? He´s still watching Apple's and Samsungs' war with a super-sized popcorn and laughing.
41. nctx77 (Posts: 617; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
I've been hearing that for about a decade now....
10. Loubielou (Posts: 283; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Apple do not seem to like Samsung an the others releasing Note 3 type of models,an they are not competiting in this Market,Apple have got realise though that alot of people will not be able to buy there 5.7" phone,thats another area Apple have to sort out as they Over Value the iPhones,as people are not so well off now days,with the Note 4 from Samsung,Apple will struggle in 2014
11. camera531 (Posts: 186; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Anonymous tipster... Sounds like a load of crap to me. I doubt Apple will release anything resembling these.
16. breathlesstao (Posts: 78; Member since: 16 Apr 2010)
Lol... no, smaller tablets are not needed. No, bigger phones are not needed. They always invent on their own, never going after others' ideas. They aren't playing catch-up at all, they're ahead of everyone else.
Just love seeing cr.pple turning its mouth into an ass. Really hilarious. And the mass of people who fail to notice that... also speaks volumes indeed.
26. wilsong17 (Posts: 1131; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
i know i cant wait to see all the ifan praising apple for 5.7 in
and all the media
27. nctx77 (Posts: 617; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
All if this was said by Steve Jobs. You know he died back in late 2011 right? Tim only said that he wouldn't do it with the current(back then) compromises.
17. nctx77 (Posts: 617; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Now this makes since. I just could not understand why ape would release all these new products within two months. I knew something would get announced in the early middle part of the year, I just didn't know what. I can see them releasing the ipad pro during the same event.
30. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 405; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
Let's hope this is true, one of my friends with an iPhone 4S was showing me a video yesterday and I thought it was in a letterbox because the screen is so freaking small with such large bezels! It's a joke!