Apple iPhone 5s estimated to be the most popular phone in the world in Q1 2014
What’s interesting is that we’re seeing to fairly old devices make it in the top 5: the 2012 Samsung Galaxy S III at the third place, and the equally old iPhone 4s at number five.
“The presence of the Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 16GB and iPhone 4s 8GB in the top five is testament to the enduring appeal of these models and the vendors strong brand, enabling a long and profitable lifecycle, that other vendors can only dream of,” said Nick Spencer, ABI’s director for mobile devices.
Another interesting trend is the appearance of Xiaomi, a company often called ‘the Apple of China’, with its Redmi smartphone, a great bang-for-the-buck phone selling for just $130. Sony and LG also made it in the top 20, while Huawei dropped out.
source: ABI Research
27. Ashoaib (Posts: 1192; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
no... you are totally wrong...
I dont believe bcoz I am not a hater and this report sounds to be fake... got it son? oh! sorry, boy?
34. Ninetysix (Posts: 1331; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Go ahead and tell them that their report is fake. Here's the contact info. Enjoy.
Christine Gallen, +1-516-624-2542
35. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
calm down , dont be angry and face the truth baby ;))
41. Finalflash (Posts: 1412; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
This is a very stupid report, seeing as how they split up the S4 and compared it to a phone that was barely 4-6 months old at that point.
18. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 446; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Who cares anyway. Apple only has 3 models, Samsung in the 100's. Apple is the only iOS brand, Samsung one of many Androids. Statistics don't tell the entire story and who cares if it's the number 1 selling device.
20. nithyakr (Posts: 24; Member since: 20 Jun 2014)
Seems like you certainly care, judging by how pissed you are! :D
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 10059; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I don't know Rebel, you do sound pretty pissed bro. Normally you wouldn't post like this. Hmmmmm...
30. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2571; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I don't think he is... That's a sensible post. Samsung's achievement is pretty respectable.
36. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 446; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Not pissed, just very tired. Had 1.5 hours of sleep last two days :). Slightly irritated by comments about this being a fake report. Apple made a very good smartphone and no wonder they have the top selling model. I just don't know why it bothers people that much.
37. AfterShock (Posts: 2031; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Cause respective shills from these systems use them buzz words like swords where they can,.. "Best Selling", " Most Secure" and the other,.."Fastest Growing".
They do get annoying to see tossed around so much.
Both are questionable to a degree an are used as flame bait on others. So they counter in fallacy or detail, all day out.
That triggers normal folk too.
38. darkkjedii (Posts: 10059; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ok now I see the meaning of your earlier post. +1 bro, get some rest.
49. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 454; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Actually Galaxy S4 is on second and fourth place THERE .
If we put together the numbers of S4, it outsell iPhone 5S for sure.
And GS4 is the NUMBER 1 SELLING DEVICE.
But the Apple's propaganda made the trick to make the iphone5S on the first place.
23. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 356; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Is it that hard for people like you to believe that not everyone has the same usage and preferences?
48. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 454; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
More interesting is that Galaxy S4 is on second and fourth place .
If we put together the numbers, it outsell iPhone 5S for sure.
And GS4 is on the first place.
But the apple's propaganda doesn't like it. LOL
29. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6114; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Exactly my point. Why is there even a 8GB on the list? Must be slow day in news iPA?
2. Diezparda (Posts: 199; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
doesn't matter, actually i'm happy cuz it makes my phone becoming less mainstream product.
4. Sreddy (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
all are great phones listed there. strange how the m7 didnt make it :/
5. Duketytz (Posts: 306; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
I think its a great phone just that not many people actually buy it! Hopefully M8 will be much better:)
43. drunkenjay (Posts: 53; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
lol the m7 was sh*t. sold it in 3 months.
6. Bigtalker (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 May 2014)
lol another biased ranking system to show Apple is better.....They had to break down the S4 into the U.S version and the Euro version to make the 5s #1. They are the same phone!
9. TheGenius (Posts: 234; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
yep.. they are biased.
S4 euro and lte should be counted as 1.
Pathetic companies like this should never go big.
14. enthasuium (Posts: 69; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
AGree, full biased. Galaxy s4 sold more than 5s in the whole world. 5s sales better only in Europe and USA, But full asia is Samsung s4, Asia is the largest continent. Apple not spending money on Ad nowadays , they are spending on those research article
39. meanestgenius (Posts: 579; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Asia is not the largest continent, Africa is.
44. meanestgenius (Posts: 579; Member since: 28 May 2014)
My poor attempt at humor, it would seem.
45. meanestgenius (Posts: 579; Member since: 28 May 2014)
It was a JOKE. To call me a fool when you know nothing about me is just ignorant of you.
One could infer that you are a fool based on your POOR ENGLISH. And don't give me that crap about English not being your first language. If you're going to post on a site where ENGLISH is the preferred language, it would do you well to learn it first.
And if English IS your primary language, then you need to go back to school, asap.
55. enthasuium (Posts: 69; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
U got owned my me mr. fool now you are teaching me? huh... anyway good try. i intentionally skip some words, but clever people understand all
56. meanestgenius (Posts: 579; Member since: 28 May 2014)
You "intentionally" skip words? Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Nice try, dufus.
You need to either hit up one of those remedial English courses or just use spell check. It helps. But then again, if you can't spell....
32. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1662; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
The Galaxy S4 European and international version has a Exynos octa core processor, while the the LTE/American version has a quad core Snapdragon 600 processor. Splitting them into two versions is sensible since there is difference in the CPU, GPU and the internal radios the two versions pack, as opposed to the iPhone 5S, which is the same one version for the entire world.
46. TheGenius (Posts: 234; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Even if they packed a single core processor and 1 gb ram and called it s4 .. then it has to be an s4.
Company decides what product they are selling.
Both versions of s4 were sold in different parts of the world for different users altered acc to requirements but it still is a s4
53. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 446; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Actually this is not true, there are 8 different versions of the 5s worldwide. Not in CPU,GPU though, but in connectivity. To support the different frequencies used worldwide.
7. promise7 (Posts: 286; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
What's the best selling smartphone of all time?
21. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
no 1= nokia 6600 160 millions
no 2 = iphone 5s 150 millions
51. Finalflash (Posts: 1412; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
UHHHH no, the 5s hasn't sold more than 50 million at this point. Also, I think you might mean iPhone 5, but that has only sold about 100 million. The 6600 has sold about that much but I don't think that is a smartphone.
52. meanestgenius (Posts: 579; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Nokia 6600 is indeed a smartphone:
33. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1662; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
The best selling SMARTPHONE of all time is probably the iPhone 4S or the Galaxy S3. But the best selling mobile phone of all time is surely the Nokia 1100.
16. Awalker (Posts: 159; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
You'll probably see the S5 as the top phone in the second quarter with the iPhone returning as the top phone in the third quarter. It's easy for Apple to accomplish this because if you want iOS there's only on place to go. And there's a lot of iOS users out there.
19. twens (Posts: 514; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Sammy is really doing an impressive work since they have to compete against so many android OEMs including apple. I believe sammy is working more harder than all OEMs.
22. iampayne (Posts: 205; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
What I would really like people to realize is the size of the phones that are at the top. For all those people on these tech sites complaining about 16GB being to small you need to know that you are a very very very small piece of the pie. The Average consumer doesn't need 32+GB on their phones. This is backed up by the fact that a 8GB phone made the list. Just a point Id like to make thats all (edit: and also its about price).
25. Warenward (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
No sh*t, If it would've been in Q2, S5 probably would've won and HTC M8 following right after most likely. People knew that the S5 was coming out soon. I am surprised that the S3 made this list, maybe it is cheaper for people in other parts of the country/world, but I don't really see anyone rocking it anymore.
54. mrblah (Posts: 390; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
Who didn't know this? lol S5 is such a dud.
NUMBER 1! NUMBER 1!
57. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2090; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
What does the S5 has to do with anything? It came out with a few days left in Q1 & it wasn't even worldwide at that point.