Apple gets design patents for the Apple iPhone 4 and the Apple iPad 2 among other things
attenuation of the antenna and a loss of signal strength. The term "Antennagate"was coined. Although Apple denied that the problem existed, Apple eventually sent out free rubber bumpers to owners of the phone to prevent the user's body from interfering with the antenna.
The patents can only bolster Apple's intellectual property portfolio, which it has been swinging around lately. On Thursday, Judge Lucy Koh will hear post-trial motions from both Apple and Samsung related to the first heavyweight battle between the two, while the two companies prepare for another trial to take place in 2014.
source: FreePatentsOnline via BGR
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3049; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
The word Apple and Patent are becoming a synonym for the other.
2. someones4 (Posts: 621; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
No one wants to copy an outdated design anyway.
12. someones4 (Posts: 621; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
B1tch please....it was only a cheap shot. it only shows how low Apple will stoop to remain relevant in the fast-moving tech world.
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1241; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, Samsung stole the rectangle and the color black from Apple...How dare they?
6. joey_sfb (Posts: 3508; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The problem is apple patent is too generic and can be use to cover many areas that apple may not originally have thought off. Their goal is to limit their competitions from innovating.
19. bipinm (Posts: 122; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
too bad the people who approve these patents cant see it...
3. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
Damn it I should have become a lawyer for such cases! I would be banking bigtime!!! Lawyers and firms are the winners here folks. The consumer takes the biggest hit.
4. phil2n (Posts: 478; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
this must be included in the Phonearena awards.
8. cr8tive007 (Posts: 53; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Big fruity needs to go on a hunting trip with d**k Cheney. They are going to sue anyone and everyone eventually. Corporate greed will be their downfall. (and making poor equipment)
9. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2046; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
He got a patent for the i4 antenna design? The one that was the reason apple ended up giving their customers the bumpers so their hands wouldn't short it out? If I were Jobs I'd be as happy as the guy who got the patent for the square wheel.
10. nwright94 (unregistered)
Hopefully that doesn't mean the glass front and back. If so, the nexus 4 may be on their list. I hope not, it's a far superior phone to the iPhone 4/4s
11. chemhaz (Posts: 160; Member since: 04 May 2012)
WTF !!! Patent "Apple iPhone 4/4S bumpers", looks like they are going after the bumper/protective case market next.
There goes 1,000,000 + eBay ads for 99c cases, soon you there will be only one $99 model from Apple
13. xfire99 (Posts: 580; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
So with USPTO David Kappos said patents is working as intended. Sure my ass and right thing to do for him to resign.
16. kach22 (Posts: 122; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Love the word "antennagate" and how it evolved to: "purplegate" "scratchgate" and many more to come.
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6806; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
FCK THE USPTO the hell with Apple with its RECTANGULAR SHAPES. damn patents.