Apple clings to the past with the iPad 2
Why the iPad 2?
4. DaHarder (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
They primarily sell them to those (unlearned customers) who just have to have an iPad and find the Mini to NOT be quite a 'real iPad'.
They're also quite popular with the EDU market in some communities... for use as digital textbooks etc.
11. Finalflash (Posts: 413; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
No, it is just a straight up strong arming tactic to force those stuck only with Apple's ecosystem to go with the more expensive offerings. There is no reason to keep it at the same price for 2 years and then some. Your comment would make sense if they reduced the cost but unfortunately the Apple of the good old innovating in tech days is gone and now innovation happens in the finance and legal departments.
18. micego (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
That's what I was thinking the whole time. It's just Apple adverting consumers away from the cheaper product because they could get the newer product for "only" $100 more. Surprised that wasn't mentioned in the article.
At the same time Apple is genius with their marketing, so who knows what the full reasoning behind it was.
17. Mittal (Posts: 405; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
One question... if the iPAD 2 will continue, the iPAD 4 will be stopped ?
21. Finalflash (Posts: 413; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yes, buy it while it lasts if you really want one. It will likely be sold for iPad 2 prices until quantities run out.
13. robocopvn (Posts: 137; Member since: 10 Mar 2010)
in Vietnam, many chicks don't know anything and pay everything for the Apple product haha :))
16. joey_sfb (Posts: 1473; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Tim Cook will not continue to make iPad 2 if nobody buy. Same price as the iPad mini 2 but a bigger screen. I wonder whether the Apple sales would push this as a bigger screen alternative and yet cheaper than iPad Air.
Well, the consumer are happy and Apple are happy. ignorance is a bliss.
2. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
The iPad 2 at $399 is probably the worst "deal" of 2013
5. avasponge (Posts: 30; Member since: 03 May 2012)
ipad mini 2 for $399 with better specs or iPad 2 for $399. Obviously the iPad 2
6. woodshop20 (Posts: 430; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Who would get the iPad 2 when you can get the Nexus 7 for a little over $200? Except for those who love to be imprisoned within within Apple's walled gardens, that is.
12. Finalflash (Posts: 413; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Those who already are plus the disillusioned.
7. deathbydesigner (Posts: 10; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
I would hope consumers would be smart enough to see that the iPad 2 should not even be considered when shopping for a tablet but after working over 9 years in retail, people will still buy it because Apple said it's a bargain of a deal.
8. Sauce (Posts: 411; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
It's still a great tablet. Are there better options? Of course. Do you HAVE to buy the iPad 2? Nope. Whoever wants to buy it will buy it, because like always, that one special word is always right: Choice. Haters gonna' hate. Potatoes gonna' potate.
9. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3263; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's the same price as the iPad mini 2... Why would you get an old, outdated large tablet over a new, top of the line small tablet? I mean, if you were really THAT desperate for the extra screen space, I think you would be willing to hand out the extra $100 for the iPad Air.
10. downphoenix (Posts: 1987; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
wow, the ipad 2 is still on sale, for 399$?
Im guessing we will start seeing sales on these soon enough, retailers want the shelves to be stocked with the new tablets. They may have various incentives to sell off the remaining Ipad 2 inventories. I see the first of these probably for this christmas shopping season.
14. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Im confused --- are they rereleasing iPad 2 or are they continuing to sell iPad 2 and why especially since that iPhone 5C aint doing to good. I really want that iPad Air so I wouldn't waste my time with any of them other ones.
15. alltechinside (Posts: 197; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
This is like a mockery to consumers. I can't believe Apple still sells the iPad 2 for $399!!! This is nearly a 3 year old device selling at a high-end cost. This costs the same as the 2012 Nexus 10!!
Let's hope people aren't stupid to fall for it. Apple should just end the iPad 2 line already...
19. vishu9 (Posts: 226; Member since: 03 Mar 2011)
Awesome article Michael.. Goes to show those trolls that the writers at PA can be unbiased when the s**t is this real..
23. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Apple.overproduced the 2, hence its remaining.availability. Same with the 4s and why the 5 went the way of ipad4, gone after following.update.