Apple chooses 3 companies to meet production needs for iPad 3 Retina Display
The solution, according to industry supply-chain observer DigiTimes, was to bring Sharp in as a new partner to supplement the displays being produced by LG and Samsung. According to reports a million of the new high-resolution displays were produced in October, with the number expected to climb to 2 million units a month in November.
If all goes as expected, assembly of the final iPads could begin in Foxconn factories in January 2012, which could mean we’ll see an iPad 3 announcement around the end of Q1, the same time frame as the first two iPad models were announced.
It is expected that the iPad 3’s Retina Display will allow the device to be used in industrial fields where a higher level of visual precision is necessary. It is expected to appeal to consumers as well, enabling higher definition movie watching and gaming.
Are any of you out there planning to pick an iPad 3 up when it ships?
source: DigiTimes via electronista
7. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
You love being first even when you're second.
20. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
I bet if you didn't write first you would've been first
3. tacohunter (Posts: 408; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
It's gonna be legend wait for it... Wait for it.... dary!!!
4. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
soo apple is using a samsung, lg or sharp display in the ipad 3? keyword SAMSUNG wtf they sue then they go to samsung for help with their displays
10. iDroidx650 (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 May 2010)
Samsung Mobile is separate from Samsungs manufacturing business.
8. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 408; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
enough with the word retina. ive had enough with these silly complex words... it might work on your average isheeep and other uneducated cronies, but not on me.
9. tacohunter (Posts: 408; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Would you rather it be called jellybeans?
11. LewsTherin006 (Posts: 140; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
that would be cool, jellybean display. everything you see would be in jelly vision. 0_0
15. TheStig (Posts: 9; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
If "Retina" is a complex word for some folks, I can only imagine what Otolaryngology means to him.
16. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
He's a fandroid. Anything over two syllables is a little hard on him.
22. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Use polysyllabic and the rest of us will know what you mean.
14. deago78 (Posts: 159; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Allow me to make an equally uneducated comment: You're dumb.
17. jdcxxx (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
It will probably need a more powerful processor along with more ram to support the beefed up resolution. I wonder how it will affect the battery life
19. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I hope a bigger battery comes along as well.
23. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Probably a smaller and lighter battery but better battery technology. Apple has been working on battery technology for a long time.
21. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
Battery life has been a focus for Apple with the iPad in the past, so I doubt they would allow it to drop too much, if at all.
24. jacko (unregistered)
apple is always behind in tech why do u think they copy
to get the res of a retina display it would have to have around
2600p X 1800p on its 9.7inch to get 326ppi notice i said around so i dont see that happening
25. tacohunter (Posts: 408; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Behind in tech? yes and no. In some things they're ahead in tech. And in some things behind.