Android has four times more market share than iPhone globally
Here is how it all breaks down by unit sales and market share:
- Android - 104.8 million units, 68.1% market share (46.9% in the same period last year)
- iOS - 26.0 million units, 16.9% share (18.8% Q2 2011)
- BlackBerry - 7.4 million units, 4.8% share (11.5% Q2 ‘11)
- Symbian - 6.8 million units, 4.4% share (16.9% Q2 ‘11)
- Windows - 5.4 million units, 3.5% share (2.3% Q2 ‘11)
- Linux - 3.5 million units, 2.3% share (3.0% Q2 ‘11)
- Others - 0.1 million units, 0.1% share (0.5% a year earlier)
source: IDC via Huffington Post
1. androidornothing posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:22 30 2
That's right!!!!!!!!!! Don't mess with Android babayyyy!!!!!!! We take everybody down!!!!! We kill everyone on the way!!!!!!!!! Wana be Androids!!!!!!!!!!
18. Mxyzptlk posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:44 2 17
It just means there's a higher number of Android phones on the market. That is not necessarily a good thing like the article is leading you to believe. There's more to it.
28. -box- posted on 19 Sep 2012, 13:58 4 1
No, it means that people are buying Androids more than iphones. Just because there's more choice and more made doesn't mean they're going to get bought
30. Aaron_R96 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 15:01 1 0
Apple also arguably have a device at each price point in the market now.. in fact more so than Sony do (Android vendor - obviously) as of today at least..
Plus if Apple wanted to they could produce a phone to compete with high-end androids, but they tend to stick to mid-range these days..
32. JonGarrett posted on 19 Sep 2012, 15:06 3 0
Its just like when iPhone users like to brag about how much money apple makes. its not necessarily a good thing AND there's so much more to it.
35. letgomyeggroll posted on 19 Sep 2012, 18:15 0 0
If Apple strip down the IPhone to make a cheaper IPhone, than minus well make a flip phone. It wont be consider as a smart phone since they don't have that much option. Think about it, what would they they take out, and still consider as a smart phone or even be compatible with other Android phones?
36. EclipseGSX posted on 19 Sep 2012, 18:52 0 0
(Just because) there's a higher number of (iPhone Preorders) That is not necessarily a good thing like the (other articles) are leading you to believe. There's more to it.
22. chaoticrazor posted on 19 Sep 2012, 11:00 6 0
depends what you want in a phone, nothing is the best.......if it was then there wouldnt be any need for improvement or other OS's
25. Kronic (banned) posted on 19 Sep 2012, 12:01 0 1
That's because it's 1 million android phones vs one iPhone. Every one makes droids. This had to be the result.
2. jshan posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:24 14 6
Hm.... Nothing to say .. 1 device against over 100 ... Pretty impressive ..
6. p0rkguy posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:40 8 1
That "1 vs 100" isn't really going to cut it anymore. Apple has products at all price points to match Android devices. People can get free iPhones on contract.
You could have argued if the iPhone was only available in limited locations, but it's not.
17. buccob posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:43 1 0
On the same note... iPhone is available everywhere... but those "over 100" Android devices are Not...
IE in my country you only get Samsungs, a couple HTC, a couple Motorola... and some Chinese devices...
They all add up to around 20 devices... BUT you can get the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad 1, 2, 3... And some carrier subsidize like in the US.
So yeah, pretty impressive for Android to achieve that
20. THETECHTEAM posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:54 1 0
regardless of the company who makes the androids its still an android even if your country make their own devices, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Acer, Pantech, any phone that has an android operating system is an android so your country may just have they own version of android
24. jshan posted on 19 Sep 2012, 11:15 0 0
Huh !! I will let you to make your feel ok with your comment .. If you say so it's a good achievement for android. Go ahead ... If I'm gonna tell you the names which android using oh this page isn't gonna enough... But iOS ?in my country here is only 4s... Even once 5 landed 4s wonts sale .. So you still talking bout 3G also. Even apple cut the 3GS also... Oh .. C the truth men. Y only apple giving phones on contract ? Y Samsung , Motorola , HTC ? What bout em ? Talk reality !!!!
39. E.N. posted on 19 Sep 2012, 21:30 1 0
its kinda the truth
40. Mxyzptlk posted on 20 Sep 2012, 00:34 0 0
No it is the truth. There's no kinda about it.
41. Mxyzptlk posted on 20 Sep 2012, 00:36 0 0
I only speak the truth.
7. joseph98 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:42 4 0
Then expect the cry baby ( Apple) soon suing Google to shut down this monster Android OS.
8. kirholstov posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:48 1 2
OMG that's just amazing!!! Thousands of phone models have 4 times more market share than one phone! Amazing... :D I'm not Apple fanboy. I use htc Desire. I'm realist.
9. chaoticrazor posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:56 2 0
its not just one phone, its like 3 versions of the same phone at different prices so you can claim theres a solo phone going against all others.
10. aayupanday posted on 19 Sep 2012, 09:58 0 9
Apple's one and only warrior taking on the Droid gang and it's still up there and causing some serious trouble to Google.
11. chaoticrazor posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:04 4 0
you live in a fantasy land?
there are atleast 3 iphones that now cover certain price ranges so your point is invalid
second with wp8 coming soon and that firefox OS , we'll have more choice.
ofcourse from your comment you obviously dont care about choice, whatever apple feeds you you accept as fact
21. THETECHTEAM posted on 19 Sep 2012, 10:56 0 0
Yeah Right!!! SMH YOU SEE THE NUMBERS AND WE GONNA DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR!! APPLE AND THAT BOX THEY PUT YA IN!!!
23. remixfa posted on 19 Sep 2012, 11:10 3 0
and now you see why Apple is trying to ban all android devices. Record sales or not, they are losing market share big time. They are in real danger of becoming an "other" if they dont either shake things up or sue the competition out of town.
27. speckledapple posted on 19 Sep 2012, 12:14 0 0
I think there is a correction in the data. Apple and Google are not running neck and neck in marketshare in the United States.
33. shamatuu posted on 19 Sep 2012, 15:15 0 0
This train will never stop. Especially this holiday season when most major company's releasing really new high end phones that are bigger and better than any of the iphones. . This number will double by the end of this year and more after that. Apple can't keep up which is why it will ALWAYS be in second place.
34. mohitmk21 posted on 19 Sep 2012, 17:57 0 0
every os share has decreased except Android and Windows