x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Android Market now numbers 30,000 apps

Android Market now numbers 30,000 apps

Posted: , by Alan F.

Tags:

This article contains unofficial information.

Android Market now numbers 30,000 apps
With a long way to go to catch up to Apple's App Store, the Android Market has seen the number of apps available increase by a whopping 88% over the last three months to a current tally of 30,000. Estimates are that 60% of the apps are free with the remainder (40% for the math challenged) being paid downloads. Meanwhile, Google CEO Eric Schmidt said that 60,000 Android handsets are being sold daily through the company's partners and it is that kind of growth that is the downwind helping the Android Market grow. The 10,000 app level was hit in September 2009 according to third party developer Androlib. Google itself claimed 16,000 apps last December and now says there are 30,000 possible choices in the Market. As a comparison, as of January, the Apple App Store was said to have 140,000 apps available. Research firm research2guidance recently issued a report saying that the entire app business would grow to $15 billion by 2013.

source: MobileCrunch

15 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:45

1. vzw fanman (Posts: 1971; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)


keep it up android developers!

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 16:18

2. VZWtrainer (Posts: 50; Member since: 24 Jul 2008)


Lovin the apps on my DROID every day but looking forward to the Incredible.

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 17:59

5. crappypunk (Posts: 131; Member since: 15 Aug 2009)


I would get an incredible but sense ui makes me want to poop in my moms mouth

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 18:26

6. iHateCrapple (Posts: 734; Member since: 12 Feb 2010)


LMAO what?

posted on 17 Mar 2010, 12:35

13. VZWtrainer (Posts: 50; Member since: 24 Jul 2008)


I heard that you can turn Sense off on that phone. Not sure if its true though. BTW: I'm sorry for your mom.

posted on 18 Mar 2010, 09:05

14. Tagon42 (Posts: 9; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)


That is rumored, but if you are going to turn off sense you may as well get the the non sense variants being offered. Although I am not a big fan of sense it does not make me want to poop in my mom's mouth

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 17:01

3. spoonb1 (Posts: 77; Member since: 02 Jan 2010)


keep em coming, make sure to spread the love for everything from the little guys like htc tattoo and upcoming x10mini all the way full swing to the top end giants like the X10, N1 and Milestone/Droid. Apps for ALL!! Bring it on... its a wonderful time to own an Andorid!! ps... still waiting on those little figurine collectibles...

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 19:56

10. testman22 (Posts: 337; Member since: 03 Nov 2009)


me too!

posted on 17 Mar 2010, 00:03

11. dirtjenkins (Posts: 12; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


me three! i wish i could remember where i saw them.

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 17:58

4. crappypunk (Posts: 131; Member since: 15 Aug 2009)


this includes porn :)

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 19:54

9. vzw fanman (Posts: 1971; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)


what do you mean? there are porn apps?

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 18:40

7. scorpio85 (Posts: 160; Member since: 16 Jan 2010)


And yet only 1/3 of them are even slightly good. Wish they would come out with some nice 3D gaming. Even if I had to pay for it I wouldnt mind, hangman and taking pics of Superman isnt cutting it.

posted on 16 Mar 2010, 19:13

8. k1ng617 (Posts: 242; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)


It's quality over quantity I don't care if it's 30,000 or 200,00 I won't have the time/money/need for any of them if they blow.

posted on 17 Mar 2010, 12:10

12. Sellcell (Posts: 118; Member since: 16 Mar 2010)


I agree, give a dog a bone.

posted on 18 Mar 2010, 12:48

15. behold--me (Posts: 650; Member since: 22 Jun 2009)


Andriod market can grow to be a great app supplier, but it will NEVER come to beat the AppStore by apple. The AppStore is just too big right now. And with the itouch and iPhones multitouch screens, they slaughter andriod in gaming (Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies, Gangstars, Super Monkey Ball 2, and the list goes ON and ON.....) and besides. I think developers flock to the iPhone because the iPhone and AppStore grew so fast (easy money) And does the interface make a difference? Like with the iPhone and itouch: they can all support the same OS (currently 3.1.3) but with andriod, could some of the apps for phones like the nexus one or newer andriod devices run on others with lower OS versions, like the G1???

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories