Android 4.3 Jelly Bean: all the new features
In reality, it’s clear that Android 4.3 is not a huge update from a user perspective. Google has already done the interface polishing with Android 4.0 and its beautiful Holo UI language and Roboto font.
Now, with 4.3 it is focusing on features that developers will appreciate and the ten innovations listed below will be of most interest to devs, not average users. With over 1 million applications in the Google Play store, Android now can finally say that it has the largest app catalog, bigger than Apple and needless to say multiple times bigger than Windows Phone.
Android 4.3 makes it possible for developers to bring really console-grade games with support for Open GL ES 3.0 graphics and many under the hood improvements in the way the system handles visuals. It is adding tons of possibilities for accessory makers with Bluetooth Smart and Low Energy support. It is opening a new realm for those that want to implement location in their apps with hardware geofencing. All of that is right below, with a quick explanation of each new features in Google’s own words, take a look.
More popular slideshows
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean: all the new features
1. Makes Android even faster
2. Introduces user profiles
3. Make only certain apps available to your kids
4. Brings a graphics boost
5. OpenGL ES 3.0 for gaming
6. Is Bluetooth Smart Ready
7. Intros better support for International Users
8. Makes it easier for developers to analyze app performance
9. Apps and accessories can now fully access notifications
10. Hardware geofencing
source: Android Developer
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7412; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I could have sworn an article was published yesterday on the same topic correct me if I'm wrong.
8. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3764; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Android 4.3 is a sweet update. I can't wait until the custom ROMs start to implement it.
Root-Box Android 4.3 anyone? I say in less than a week. lol
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7412; Member since: 14 May 2012)
XDA will be my best friend these next few weeks. :)
But 4.3 hasn't been pushed to my N7 yet. :/
17. Igneel (Posts: 19; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
You can download the original firmware and flash it right away if you want. Did it on my Nexus 4 ^_^ It's now rooted too :D
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7412; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I don't want to delete everything from my N7 that's the thing. I'm updating the minute I'm able to.
22. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 963; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Im going to do the same for my Nexus7 PapaSmurf. I was looking for the update yesterday so hopefully I'l be able to update when I get home this evening!!
23. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 240; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Illusions 4.3!!!! ARRGGGGHHH *DROOOLING*. LOL
2. fistigons (Posts: 262; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
How's the improvement on battery life? Pocketnow mentioned their Nexus 4 saw a huge improvement. Of course that was the leaked version....
3. -box- (Posts: 3714; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Why call it 4.3? Why not 4.13, or 4.1.3? Every prior #.# iteration before 4.2 was a unique update.
5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7412; Member since: 14 May 2012)
4.x are updates that bring in new features whether they include software or hardware support. 4.2.x are bug fixes and minor improvements basically.
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7412; Member since: 14 May 2012)
What's the name of the game in picture 4? Reminds me of the Gears of War series on my Xbox 360.
9. blazee (Posts: 251; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
So no emojis after all? I don't understand why Google would add emojis to the android keyboard
18. Igneel (Posts: 19; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
There is. It has a specific keyboard for it included. It's called iWnn IME (Emoji). It contains tons of emojis but some of them are pretty weird. Haven't tested it to see whether it works with other messaging apps.
21. datsyuk (Posts: 153; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
Wish they weren't ugly :p I like the traditional colored ones
11. beasteator (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
My Nexus 4 running 4.2 seems to have Emojis. Is that unusual?
12. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Am extremely curious to see how Ingress will run once i get the update what with ingress currently being a huge battery drain.
14. AfterShock (Posts: 2176; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
There's s couple things about this update I look forward to, it's not fluff and stuff for myself.
This will likely be last update I get on my phone once it bleeds through channels of red tape and other hold ups . (2012 One-X)
25. LukeTT (Posts: 13; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Ahhhh yessss, the perks of being a Nexus user!
26. solomonsteve (Posts: 73; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Nothing really new in this update for a leyman
27. Sondae (Posts: 182; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Waiting for this update on s3, note2 or s2....
30. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
the best thing is that its only 4.3 cant wait for key lime pie update ....this is why i luv my nexus ....apples ios is still behide can switch between apps ....theyre are trying to be like andriod but they cant ....ppl are paying for the name apple smh
31. Trex95 (Posts: 541; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
For the Nexus 4 update to 4.3
-Google Services framework>clear data>force to stop> About phone> System updates