5 LG G3 features that Apple should add to future iPhones
LG’s most advanced smartphone yet is the brand new G3, which was introduced last month as its first mobile device to sport a Quad HD (1,440 x 2,560 pixels) display. The G3 is an impressive piece of technology, and certainly has its place among this year’s best high-end offerings.
5 LG G3 features that Apple should not ignore
1. Thinner bezels
2. Gesture controls
The LG G3 gesture control feature is showcased in the video on the left starting 2:02.
3. Expandable memory
4. IR (infrared) blaster
5. Unusual button placement
1. Derekjeter (Posts: 202; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
None of these will be in the next iPhone, this year or next and still Apple will sell 100 times more than LG G3.
3. asialove (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 Jan 2010)
you are right! You are taling about Nokia..
5. Florin.T (Posts: 102; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
Somehow, yes. Because you can always say stuff like "smartphone X features thinner bezels than smartphone Y."
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple and thin bezels do not belong in the same sentence unless you say Apple products don't have thin bezels.
18. sip1995 (Posts: 756; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Actually, it's just a trick to tell you next year "Hey people, we invented the slim bezels"
50. Shatter (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 May 2013)
But it has onscreen buttons that waste screen space.
54. natjsbelza (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 May 2014)
Thinner bezel sure looks nice. It also has nice side-effect like, it allows for bigger screen on small housing. With all that great benefits, something has got to give, first is, lesser battery life, and second is, it will compromise the way you handle the phone. You don't want accidental touch inputs. Other minor disadvantage is when you use casings.
4. NokiaFTW (limited) (Posts: 1900; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I don't think thinner bezels is a "feature". Even the Moto X has it. In any case, judging by the iPhone 6 leaks, the bezels are too big. Apple should cut down on it.
6. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
dont trust leaks. we have to wait till official release I think next iphone will have thin side bezels but I cant say the same for top and bottom bezels
26. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1294; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Even the Moto X has it? They were one of the first to incorporate an edge to edge display with the Droid RAZR M.
7. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
only expandable memory would be good for iphone, others not so important
22. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6226; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Removeable battery and a higher screen resolution.
42. Vexify (Posts: 316; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
In all obviousness, the majority of and the general public of smartphone users don't give a crap about "higher screen resolution".
8. jellmoo (Posts: 650; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I... Seriously? Could you at least have picked 5 features that are actually unique to the G3? What kind of process went into this article?
"Hmm... Hey, how about expandable storage? I bet that absolutely nobody has ever brought that up at all since 2007!"
16. Florin.T (Posts: 102; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
The microSD card feature was picked because, as the article says, "LG listened to fans who were a bit let down by the fact that the G2 didn’t have expandable memory." Similarly, Apple could listen to those who want(ed) this on their older iPhones.
27. Diezparda (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Even this year M8 had this feature which last year M7 don't
37. jellmoo (Posts: 650; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
That still doesn't make it a feature of the G3 though, unless we want to ignore the inclusion of the same item on things like the One M8 and the Moto G LTE.
The G3 has unique features, no doubt. But to claim that expandable storage, slim bezels and unique button placement are among them is just silly. It makes it look like a filler article more than anything else.
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 10418; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man, that G3 is looking better and better. I might go ip6, and G3, if Samsung doesn't kill the game with the next GNote. LG is also the only android phones, that auto resize vids too for mms and sharing. Hella kudos LG, you've brought it.
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
G3 has terrible battery life. Get the Note 4.
13. lolatfailphones (Posts: 137; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
Lol this comment was brought to you by Samsung
19. sip1995 (Posts: 756; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Maybe it's Samesung by it self......who knows ?
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Actually, go check Erica Griffin's review on the G3 you troll.
-Sent from HTC M8
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 10418; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's so gorgeous though. Have you had a lotta hands on time with it?
28. Diezparda (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
waiting for G3 but in the end i purchased htc m8 (hope not dissapoint me cus it's my first htc phone), i'm not interested in 4k display which may drain the battery fast, the others feature like ois plus laser focus seems nice...
29. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The radios on my M8 are inferior to the S5 I had. Battery life is worse but it's definitely more snappier and faster than my S5 was.
34. Diezparda (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
how about the camera? i mean outdoor photography seems just okay which in many review said it's disappointing (duo camera is really hard to use, too much conditions to be met)
35. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Honestly the camera is great. If you just take photos from time to time, post on IG of Facebook/Twitter, it's good. I'm sure you won't be cropping lots of photos so don't worry about the camera.
36. Diezparda (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
i just wanna say thank you Smurf, it's very helping me
15. gutuebogdan (Posts: 29; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
Iphone 6 ... Made by LG... let them to be different
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 10418; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dumb post, glad you only have 10 of em.
33. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
You mean to your almost 10,000 dumb ones. O.o
51. gutuebogdan (Posts: 29; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
This post came from the only one neuron left in your brain? Thanks to you now i have 11...
17. Leo_MC (Posts: 495; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
iPhone already has gestures (slide left to right for back, vertical slide down for search etc).
Expandable memory means less security; I prefer security and buying internal memory.
One can control the PC through wifi; as I don't use TVs, I can't realy see the benefit of IR (but that's just me).
Buttons should be where they are easy to reach.
52. Leo_MC (Posts: 495; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Because they show shows.
I use the PC when I need to watch some news; all the other time, I prefer to spend it with friends, family, reading and, why not?, working :).
Maybe things are different elsewhere, but in my country TV shows - except, maybe, Discovery channels - no other TV shows worth anyone's time.
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 10418; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Opinion understood, and respected. +1
46. mrmagicman21 (Posts: 8; Member since: 21 Jan 2014)
Those aren't gestures... those are directional swipes. Gestures (such as Samsung's wave to answer or decline a call) generally don't require you to touch the face of the phone.
53. Leo_MC (Posts: 495; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Merriam-Webster dictionary does not agree with you.
There are gestures and there are touchless gestures.
One can start Siri by getting the phone to one's ear; that's a touchless gesture on the iPhone.
21. Sreddy (Posts: 54; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
hopefully in future pipeline they add expandable memory to their lineup.. icloud doesnt cut it. thats the only feature ill choose out of this article.
24. toiletcleaner (Posts: 183; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
another wish list from a apple fan. next....
25. tacarat (Posts: 130; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
The micro SD suggestion. Nobody ever fills up 16GB. Those that do are stupid and deserve to pay $100 for another 16GB or $200 for 48GB. The only reason Android phones have an empty slot is to subsidize the dumbing down civilization.
31. Awalker (Posts: 222; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I'm asking myself the same thing. Anyhow, more memory is always a good thing.
58. tacarat (Posts: 130; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
The Patron Saint of Sarcasm needs a bit extra work. I didn't think I was going to hurt so many brains with that one >.>
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 10418; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude, stop listening to topcat488. I didn't think it got anymore stupid than his posts. I was wrong.
41. techloverNYC (Posts: 386; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
How about because some games these days are over 2GB? That means about 7 games will fill up your memory, thats not even enough apps to fill up the page.
44. willard12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
I agree. After reading that post, I certainly feel a whole lot dumber.
45. mrmagicman21 (Posts: 8; Member since: 21 Jan 2014)
Nobody ever fills up 16GB? are you serious? I filled up my 32GB LG Optimus G with music and movies. But you'd rather everyone drop an extra $100 bucks for additional storage, then subsequently pay for more I cloud storage to handle it all, rather than 15-50 bucks for a memory card? You're silly... another note tho... may just be an American thing but apple doesn't make a 48GB iPhone. ..
43. Reynolds1 (Posts: 32; Member since: 17 Jun 2014)
Thinner bezels and gestures: yes. The rest is not in Apple's nature... IR is too niche and expandable memory kills their pricing model
47. cc3493 (Posts: 155; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Am i the only person who doesnt want thinner bezels? I mean, sure it does make the overall size of the phone smaller and then you can whack in a larger screen, but then you have limited space on the sides of the screen where you can place a finger or get a grip if you are using the phone one handed. Also, i know many people who use skins on their phones and i dont think that would work with super thin bezels, there would just be no place to stick the skin. Even with cases, the limited bezel space would restrict the shape and design of cases. I think bezels are thin enough already... Thats just my own opinion though.
49. vuyonc (Posts: 172; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
I'm surprised "A bigger battery" didn't pop up
56. Looser99 (Posts: 42; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
Phonearena expecting Apple to experiment with their phones? Even after knowing their history of lust for money? And lose market share, profit in the due process? Dude, never gonna happen... Maybe it will happen the day they decide to change their brand name to something much more sh**tier then Apple !
57. jayd3n (Posts: 23; Member since: 15 Apr 2014)
LG is taking all the credit about the BEZEL thing. Please search on this beauty: VEGA IRON