Today Sony Ericsson announced their latest phone, featuring the functionality of a smartphone - the P990. It is running on UIQ 3 software platform over Symbian 9.1 Operating System. The bar form-factor phone reminds the design of its predecessor - the P910, but it features new type of keyboard. The P910 had the keyboard on a flip, while the P990's full keyboars is under the numeric one. The P990 improves ons most of its predecessor features, and adds some new. It is dual-mode phone, featuring both tri-band (900/1800/1900 MHz) GSM and UMTS (2100 MHz) frequencies. Wireless connection can be done through both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (802.11b). Featuring Wi-Fi and UMTS, the P990 takes advantage of high-speed internet browsing, and it features version 8 of Opera internet browser that can operated in landscape mode of the QVGA (320x240 pixels) touch screen. On its back, SE P990 has a 2-megapixel camera, with auto-focus and video capture capabilities. The P990 also is capable of video-calling, having an additional camera on the front. The internal memory of the phone is up to 80MB, and it can be expanded through Memory Stick PRO Duo cards, up to 4GB, and a 64MB one is included in the package.
- Tri-band (900/1800/1900 MHz) GSM and UMTS (2100 MHz) frequencies
- Symbian OS v9.1, UIQ v3.0
- 2.8 inch QVGA (240 x 320) touch screen with 262 k colours that supports landscape view
- Integrated 2-megapixel camera with auto-focus; additional camera for video-calling
- USB, Infrared, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi (802.11b) connectivity
- Media Player and FM Radio with RDS
- 80MB of internal memory, expandable through Memory Stick Pro Duo cards
Sony Ericsson P990 Complete Specification
The P990 will be commercially available in Q1 2006 in Europe and Asia. Still there is no official announcement of US version of the device.
Source: Sony Ericsson