Xperia Z Ultra, Z1, and Z1 Compact owners get KitKat updates
Sony announced that Android 4.4 KitKat updates are out for its Xperia Z Ultra, Z1, and Z1 Compact smartphones. Also, KitKat will grace owners of the Xperia Z, ZL, Tablet Z, and ZR in mid-May, while those owning the older Xperia T2 Ultra, E1, and M2 are promised chocolatey goodness as well.
The current Android 4.4 updates offer a serving of KitKat's performance and UI tweaks along with Sony's own works on the platform. For example, the Status Bar and Quick Settings menus have been reworked to become clearer and more intuitive. Also, the new launch animation and live wallpaper have been borrowed from the Sony PlayStation 4 and will up the game for the home and lock-screens.
Furthermore, Sony's native Android apps, such as Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera have received updates as well, while the Media apps (Walkman, Album, and Movies) are now integrated with Sony Entertainment Network and PlayMemories. The update should bring a better UI and faster download speeds.
Finally, Sony's Xperia Themes with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select will let you customize up to 280 items from the Xperia Android interface in a variety of styles.
If you have received the update, feel free to share your experience with it.
5. PapaSmurf (limited) (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Didn't you hear? The phone is official! Haha jk. Typo on PA's end.
27. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Still use this account too? lol
35. apple4never (Posts: 947; Member since: 08 May 2013)
if you were talking to me, i somehow got banned on my other one
40. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6452; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Still like to know what MODEL IS THE Z1 FOR C6903 model will get the update. i'll wait though but EXCITED
3. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3222; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
They would have just given stock android and few sony touches just like motorola and deliver faster updates. Fail sony. Also the task switcher(nav bar, small apps and close all button) and notification pulldown(notif. and quick sett.) are inefficient space wise.
23. greyhulk (Posts: 118; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
Have you even used one? I have a Z Ultra and I think Sony's UI is one of the better ones. Most of the enhancements over stock Android are very welcome. Their gallery app is awesome and I actually find the small apps useful.
41. Adrian38 (Posts: 125; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Sony's UI is FAR better and much more useful than stock Android. It's worth the wait. Other than the Nexus devices, Sony is delivering updates to most of it's phones on a regular basis.
4. techperson211 (Posts: 618; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Z2 compact? Hehehe. Good job Sony for the updates.
6. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 488; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
The ui in 4.4 still looks a lot like 4.2.2. I still prefer TouchWiz in 4.4. Hopefully that my GNote 10.1(2012) will get 4.4 update soon. I can feel the shame when GTab 2 10.1, GNote 8.0, and GNote II have the newer version than my tablet.
16. PapaSmurf (limited) (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well to be honest, the UI hasn't changed since 2011 or so. Features were added, but visually looks like it did back then. :/
18. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 488; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
It changed little by little. I still can feel the UI difference between my friend's Xperia Ray(2.3.6) and my dad's Xperia Acro S(4.0.4), though it's still similar.
19. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3222; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Looks are way better than touchwiz and lg no need to improve that. But there are certain things to improve aesthetically but they are turning it worse.
7. f_u_006 (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 Mar 2014)
LMAO, Xperia Z2 Compact!
i felt good seeing this because PA loves Sony and typed this too fast....LOL
8. Astoni (Posts: 505; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
And when they say an update is rollin' out now it usually takes 2 months before i get the darn update..
15. PapaSmurf (limited) (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You're not so innocent yourself. You got quite a history yourself bud.
29. emadshiny (Posts: 1131; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
If you compare the history of mine with that of yours, it seems as if you're comparing the history of America with that of Rome!
33. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
There's simply no reason for him to be butthurt. So he isn't
38. PapaSmurf (limited) (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Should we look back on the S5 articles? Didn't think so.
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3222; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Lg overtook sony in updates lol.
11. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Yep, LG overtook Sony by updating two phones a year...
12. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3222; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
But still its shame to be defeated from the worst in update business. And back in December i thought march was way too late for kitkat and after this..... meh.
14. emadshiny (Posts: 1131; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
And you're overtaking PapaSmurf in trolling lol.
17. PapaSmurf (limited) (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
And you're trolling right now. Pot, meet kettle.
37. pyradark (Posts: 770; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Hope to see LG ng overtook sony in profits bleh
13. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
"while those owning the older Xperia T2 Ultra, E1, and M2"??? They are the newest ones!!
20. Zhephyr (Posts: 24; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Z2 Compact.???..hey phone arena... pls edit this...the title is misleading..
but i hope a z2 compact could be a real phone
30. Genersis (Posts: 185; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If I remember right, Sony is still considering whether to bring KitKat to it.
Probably best to cross your fingers.
42. apple4never (Posts: 947; Member since: 08 May 2013)
they may not even give it kitkat, there is a new firmware coming out hopefully fixing the glitches in 4.3 i think its build .192
22. majp89 (Posts: 100; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
I hope T-Mobile gets this out for the Z1S soon. I hope it fixes the stupid touch screen bugs too and gives a nice boost to the camera.
26. darthwho (Posts: 5; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Come on T Mobile let's get the Z1S updated .
28. KingDingaLing (Posts: 212; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
Congratulations, Sony users. I.m still waiting on the ATT Note 3 update. Kind of ridiculous.
39. PapaSmurf (limited) (Posts: 8300; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You could flash the update that was released a month ago....
31. vipervoid123 (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Some update ~:
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact 4.4 kitkat update is rolling out ~
According to XperiaBlog ~
34. f35hunter (Posts: 89; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
NOTHING UNTIL NOW FOR THE Z1
BUT ITS A GOOD NEWS TO HEAR
FINLEY . BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME IS BRINGING BETTER PERFORMANCE TO THE CAMERA