Some Sony Xperia Z Ultra users are having a problem getting the phone to wake up
One owner of the Sony Xperia Z Ultra says that he has to press his power button anywhere from 5 to 150 times before the screen comes back on. He also says that his display has a yellowish tinge to it. A number of YouTube videos have popped up showing the problem. So far, no word from Sony although some say that the firmware update to build version 14.1.B.0.475 solves the problem. Others say that the update doesn't help. Hopefully, we will soon see Sony spring to life with an effective update that will work for everyone.
In the meantime, you can check out some of the YouTube videos that have been posted by disappointed Sony Xperia Z Ultra owners. And if you happen to own the device and are experiencing a problem, drop us a comment in the box below.
source: XperiaBlog via XDA
29. james004 (Posts: 485; Member since: 15 May 2013)
every phone and tablet runs into issue like this but soon company sends out update and fixes it. i hope the issue is only of software and sony is able to fix this ASAP.
btw the worst was galaxy s3 and note 2 with their side black clipping issue, company refused to so many customers when it was their fault.
2. ZeroCide (Posts: 698; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
I have problems waking up my Lenovo Ideapad sometimes.I have to reboot it to get it back. I hate that,
3. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
wow, this is really a super phone sony, very sexy and great design, have a great feature which to train the user finger to push hundred times, not like the soap bar cheap plasticky with many gimmick, xperia ZU king of smartphone with death screen for 2013 and this new innovation called xperia ZU finger trainer should increase sony patent port folio.
4. Sankyaku (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
Atleast this issue happend pretty early from the release. Sony should be able to fix it quickly. I am still getting one. :)
17. Jason2k13 (Posts: 657; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Now why would it be a good thing if it happened early? People are gonna be turned off from buying it, and people who owns it won't recommend it to friends.
28. ianbbaa (Posts: 216; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
I posted before...every single SONY device is actually a prototype for whole production time...till the end of production. And will remain as a prototype in users eyes.
I thought that Trliluminos means something else then "three lines" on screen at wake up...
5. mrraider602 (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
Look at my big *ss screen!
How does it look?
Don't know, it won't turn on!
34. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Another troll :| Well it really shows your insecurities.. All OEM's having different problems.
47. mrraider602 (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
whats up with the troll bs? I simply made a humorous comment on an article I read.. I for one know nothing is perfect, especially technology...so get over it!
6. papss (unregistered)
What a strange problem to have. Hope they take care of this issue right and either offer a new phone or an update to fix it
7. bwhiting (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
seems like the motorola black screen of death issue that I had with my Droid Razr 16GB but at least their device comes on again
14. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
yep my nexus 7 too once in a while doesnt react too the power button but it usually fixes itself quite quick, this xperia isuues seems very extreme 50-150 presses
10. pyradark (Posts: 781; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
On gsmarena site, the power button problem has been solved by update!!!
Well we have warranty so still im buying it!!
12. JGuinan007 (Posts: 634; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Why is it that No north American carriers will sell this?
16. JunBringer (Posts: 101; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Cause North American carriers blow. I already imported mine so it's going on AT&T for five months and then over to T-Mobile.
13. GeekMovement (Posts: 1519; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Hope the honami won't have the same issue.
18. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
no xperia defenders here....
i thought they would be shout about how bias PA is and and anti sony they are
this is an unfortunate defect and the last thing anybody wants to happen on such an expensive device
i hope this issue is fixed for all future devices
24. kobainez (Posts: 302; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
SONY fans aren't stupid. They will say PA biased when PA is being biased not this kind of issue.
44. buccob (Posts: 1542; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I do not consider myself blinded for a particular brand... but Sony has earned my respect lately and I have been recommending their phones around me... However this issue has nothing to do with PA being biased (which some of the authors are, particularly when it comes to reviews) and it does not change the fact that Sony makes great innovations, but it does have failures.
Like some have said, hopefully this does not extend to the Honami and future devices... I truly want to get a Honami Mini...
19. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
It's a software issue, guys. Had that in one software update in my Xperia Z. Calm down, Phonearena. We know that you think Samsung wins and Sony sucks. But it's not.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8839; Member since: 14 May 2012)
This problem is worse than what the iPhone suffered from at launch lol.
43. Lyngdoh (Posts: 225; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Problem is problem regardless its big or small, its annoying. Every company has different types of problems. However, unlike Apple, Sony won't say "You hold the phone wrong".
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8839; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sooooo where are the Sony bandwagoners now? With the screen not able to turn on, it's just a big, black rectangle.
25. kobainez (Posts: 302; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well, at least it doesn't blow up and hurt anyone like your sammy plastic
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8839; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Third party battery caused the explosion, not the hardware from Samsung. Apple phones exploded due to third party chargers.
It's nice to know you don't have anything to say about the ZU considering it's basically a brick until you spend 10+ minutes trying to turn it on.
41. pyradark (Posts: 781; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
WARRANTY!! Its not the end of the world when it has defects, sony can replace it!!
But replacing life is not sammy cant provide, too bad
27. shikhar (Posts: 28; Member since: 14 Aug 2011)
Well, well, well. Can't say I am surprised. As much as I admire Sony, this is one issue which I think Ot is too obdurate to address. My Xperia T recently died with the same problem, and while I didn't try clicking 150 times, I surely did click about 100 times before I gave up and gave away the phone. There was also a recent case where Sony had to apologize for the sudden death issue on a complete batch of Xperia Zs. This apathy will bring about Sony's own downfall until it addresses this issue immediately and genuinely with efficacy.
35. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Downfall? I think you should read more tech news. SONY smartphones are selling very well, and regarding the updates, they are also doing well.
38. shikhar (Posts: 28; Member since: 14 Aug 2011)
Yeah sure, if this issue stays as rampant across all Xperias, then you can rest assured that sooner than later people will start avoiding Sony (I am talking only regarding their smartphone segment). Sony is presently doing very well, no denying, but such issues could have severe repercussions.
30. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 485; Member since: 11 May 2013)
People here are so annoying..
Pls dont let your fanboyism justify this case..
You are not one of those disappointed people.
This is the same issue during the initial release of Xperia Z handsets and oh Again?
31. epicandroid (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Hehe...so many defects with the ZU...loool so much for that 6.4 INCH display ~
32. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 843; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
It's a damn shame, so it becomes essentially a 6.44inch paper weight. Trust a Sony to have such a strange issue, their QC really is awful.
36. TheM16 (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
The way I see it, it’s a typical Android OS issue nothing related to the Great device.. all other android devices faced the same issue or something similar Exp. (mighty Samsung, Motorola, LG,HTC …and the list goes on)
Hence the OS is unstable you will run into these unexpected problems.
I prefer concentrating on suggestions on how to fix this issue not just complain about “Sony” or this Great most powerful device of 2013!!
I used many android devices and from many different companies they all share one thing (OS issues) but with updates or restarts might be fixed.
So for the UZ users I prefer they try the “small red button in the microSD flap” to reset the phone first and hopefully solve the issue.
If not then they should wait for the company’s update or solution (Typical Android phone situation).
And enjoy your (Android, Apple, Blackberry, Windows)whatever you own to the fullest be positive.
37. ntsiotinos (Posts: 16; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
Luckily I've only had two problems:
1. Galaxy S2 delivered with faulty volume rocker - replaced by carrier immediately.
2. 2012 Nexus 7 severe speaker distortion and unresponsive screen. Replaced by Google within a week.
It's a real downer when your brand new device develops a fault. Makes you lose confidence in the brand unless the problem can be resolved really quickly.
39. anleoflippy (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Don't you all know that the .475 fixed this? lol
40. jeff1434325 (Posts: 95; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
i think that's one of the feature of it's so called 'Triluminos Display'.
Sony should patent it right away before apple will have it:)
42. Amir1 (Posts: 269; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
don't be the first adopters, they are the real testers! lol.
45. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Well it is named Xperia Zzz.. Don't know what you guys are whining about..
46. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
ha ha ha now whose supporting sony?????????
48. magnum44 (unregistered)
I was planning to buy this device as soon as it becomes available in my local market ... now what? ?!!
49. geekandproud (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Sep 2013)
Pretty sure this is because of the brightness. I had my SP set to 10% brightness and it the screen wouldn't turn on or would flash on then off. Once i set my brightness higher it worked every time
50. theshack_ca (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Sep 2013)
Just received my ultra from Clove UK and am having this problem. What r the options?
51. Anonym (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Dec 2013)
Yep. I am experiencing the same bug. Only difference being I am (well, if the handset bid the dust - was) a proud owner of the Xperia M. I face exactly the same issue as described above. The screen does not display graphics. It is pitch black. Only glow from the backlight. However, the Android OS runs perfectly..... Lost all credibility for Sony.........
52. shelbo1074 (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)
i have the same problem. ive had mine since december 2013 and it started from day one. i took it to my local phone shop and they said its a common problem but nothing to worry about as its more than likely software problem than the build of the phone. my phone does the green line thing when i finish a call and lasts a second so doesnt interrupt my use of the phone in any way, so i suppose thats a good thing on the upside of things. to be perfectly honest, it would have to be something like the wake up issue that would make me even consider changing my phone. I LOVE IT!