Slates on the catwalk: world's thinnest tablets roundup
World's thinnest tablets roundup Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Leaked screenshots reveal a possible upcoming huge Android redesign
14 Apr 2014, 03:50
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
World's thinnest tablets roundup
1. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 547; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Xperia z is really a sexy beast...
really liked its design , probably best looking tablet ever.
and of course really expecting something big from apple, they are losing their tablet shares quite recently..
3. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
then they ruined it by putting a UI on it resembling HoneyComb with all the (on-screen) buttons in wrong place (compared with other tablets running Jelly Bean)
8. anleoflippy (Posts: 225; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
I actually like what they did to their UI.
But this is my preference, not everyone likes it.
9. juanyunis (Posts: 72; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
There is a new update for the tablet, right now is rolling for SGP321, the LTE version, and it's Android 4.2.2 with Phablet UI not the current one that resembles Honeycomb.
I'm waiting for the update to come lol.
17. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I want that Xperia Z something terrible. It would be a nice compliment to my Surface Tablet, and my Galaxy Tab. I'm just worried that it wouldn't get kitkat for 327045407400 years. :-(
20. buccob (Posts: 1046; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Actually the thinnest "Tablet" right now is the Xperia Z Ultra Wi-Fi... 6.5mm
(when do they stop being phones and start being phablets?)
(when do they stop being phablets and start being tablets?)
29. buccob (Posts: 1046; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
In my personal opinion, I take 5" screens as phablets... too big for my everyday needs... BUT phones like Xperia ZL has 5" but with a footprint of a 4.5" phone...
So it is all relative and personal opinions for that matter.
21. PBXtech (Posts: 625; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
And excellent battery life as well, Sony knocked it out of the park with this tablet. I've owned one since June and love it as much today as I did seven months ago.
2. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Theres a new Toshiba Excite 10 inch out. Comes with 4.2 on it. Not sure how thin it is but the looks are very close to this .
5. pyradark (Posts: 710; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
But in the test of time, Z tablet survive on anything!! Did u see how 7 2013 break after a drop
6. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 598; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
You're right, because it wasn't thin enough to make the list.
7. ZettaiRyouiki (Posts: 39; Member since: 05 Aug 2013)
Less weight = yes, but thinner = unnecessary to me. I would prefer a few mm more with a larger battery.
10. apple4never (Posts: 762; Member since: 08 May 2013)
same here i dont mind a slightly thicker tablet because if i run outta battery, what good is a 7mm tablet without a battery
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5639; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
For once PA gives SONY some credit the XPERIA Z IS THE thinnest tablet in the world. did i also mention it's water proof and can take a bath with it too
12. Troysyx (Posts: 108; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
I'm actually selling my Xperia tablet Z if anyone is interested :)http://swappa.com/listing/GZK5
13. ˇಠ_ಠˇ (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
"Jonny Ive is at it again with the lightest 10-incher out there" lol i thought we had established sony was the thinnest 10 incher. Nice try
14. Reality_Check (Posts: 220; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
SXZ tablet weighs 495g (17.46 oz) and the A Air weighs 478g (16.86 oz). So, it is the lightest but not the thinnest.
15. ˇಠ_ಠˇ (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Ooh awkwarddd. Sorry i wrote that in the morning when i cant really think lol
16. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 548; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Bravo to Sony, Apple & Samsung in engineering such awesome slim devices but I would prefer a tablet with high battery capabilities even if its thick.. Only it has to be light
18. Tech_Junkie1996 (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Aug 2013)
So, of all the thin tablets, Samsung has made half of the, and Apple has made a third. What is the rest of the tablet industry doing? Why is that tablets are thicker than most smartphones? Isn't the fact that they have more surface area mean that they should be thinner? I mean, sure, they can't be thinner than the parts they are made of, but, why are they so thick? Last years tablets, minus the iPad Mini and Xperia Tablet Z, were quite thick. There is genuinely no reason for that.
19. hipnotika (Posts: 177; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
samsung's tab designs are like a bull s**t
22. joey_sfb (Posts: 1973; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Better than having random electrical shock when you hold the fruit brand tablet the wrong way.
23. joey_sfb (Posts: 1973; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Hipnotika, Apple is hell bend on suing Samsung for copying their boring overuse design. So if Samsung tab design are like bull s**t so does Apple. Apple market share are dwindling so you might be right after all. Troll. Lol!
24. kevkyle (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
i wanna get the xperia tablet z, my ageing yet trusty samsung tab2 has served well
...but mah sony vaio pro needs a pretty mate", )
(or should i wait for the xperia tablet Z2)
25. anleoflippy (Posts: 225; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Better just wait for the successor of the Tablet Z.
26. kevkyle (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
....that i would do. put 'em brakes on the wallet for awhile...lol
27. anleoflippy (Posts: 225; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Don't get me wrong. I myself own an Xperia Tablet Z and it's an awesome tablet. Bought it last year July. But since we are in 2014, might as well just wait for the successor.
And if it's worth the upgrade, I'll sell my Tablet Z.
30. Krjal (Posts: 29; Member since: 19 Dec 2013)
Still got my galaxy tab 7.7. I'm so happy I got this thing. It's still going strong and the amoled screen is beautiful!
I've been waiting a long time for a worthy successor but Samsung hasn't made a better tablet yet. C'mon Samsung! Where's all the amoled screens you promised us?