Samsung granted new design patent for a buttonless smartphone. Could it be related to the Galaxy S5?
The sketches included in patent No. D697,886 S expose a mysterious rectangle on the upper right back side of the device. This could be a good spot to place a fingerprint scanner - since we’re hearing that this feature will most likely be included in Samsung’s next-gen flagship Android smartphone. The rear of the device also shows a camera with flash, and what may be a speaker at the bottom. There is also an interesting sensor (we assume it’s a sensor, but who knows?) that’s visible at the top of the handset’s front, sitting next to what should be the power button, and above the front-facing camera (update: actually, that sensor might be just a 3.5mm headset jack). All in all, the device does have an unmistakable Samsung Galaxy feeling.
Current rumors have it that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be announced before MWC 2014 next month, or in March, with a launch scheduled for April. Specs-wise, we should expect a Quad HD (1440 x 2560) display, new Exynos processor (likely 64-bit capable), a 16MP or 20MP rear camera, and lots of RAM (probably at least 3GB). Would you like it if the S5 looked like in the sketches seen below? This is not innovative, that's for sure, but it would probably allow the S5 to look better than the current S4 flagship. Let us know what you think in the comments section!
Samsung's latest smartphone design patent
source: USPTO via Sammy Today
1. byazatt (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Am waiting to see what comes out of the staples of LG, Samsung and HTC,, oo Sony you're in that mix too.
18. Adithya7184 (Posts: 309; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
lol...its just an paper sketch....and you are saying made of wood ROFL!!!
3. hurrycanger (Posts: 959; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
"This is not innovative, that's for sure..."
4. remtothemax (Posts: 220; Member since: 02 May 2012)
wouldn't placing the fingerprint scanner on a certain side bias the phone towards right or left handed people?
7. Florin.T (Posts: 102; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
It would. But about 90% of people are right-handed. Samsung Galaxy S5 - designed for humans... just the right-handed ones.
25. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
i 'm left-handed :( nvm i never liked any samsung phone,atleast till now and i believe samsung will not "shock" me in this few year :P
something like lg g2 would the best,good for both left and right handed people
samsung become the new bezel king? on the picture,the bezel is really big
32. xfire99 (Posts: 442; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Fingerprint scanner is on front, behind the screen and that rectangle is just too small for fingerprint scanner. Dont u think Sammy already considering that peoples dont want to sweep theirs finger through such small scanner.
On top "sensor" is mostly the IR blaster.
Right handed ones is just a biased comment and wont even bother to explain to a iDevice user.
12. thedeltaway (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
I'm left handed and I doubt I would really care which side it's on. I've gotten used to little things like that meant for right handed people
5. nctx77 (Posts: 453; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
This has already been done. It still has a button at the top to turn the phone on/off. It just got rid of the home button. It also has a volumn rocker lol!
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If the front looks like the G2 but upscaled, I swear I'll get it the day it comes out.
6. Teja171 (unregistered)
What a rubbish design. My Note ii looks much better.
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You're judging a design based off a generic design for a patent. Clever.
30. Teja171 (unregistered)
I think you have no work, rather than posting some stupid posts all the time.
31. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Oh the irony.
Full time college student with a job. You were saying?
11. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Finally LG G2 stands on its own way. Yeah, finally Samsung's next flagships would be inspired by LG's G2 design.
Proud to be G2 owner.
13. Tizen007 (Posts: 500; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
It looks like Sammy's stock prices are going to drop some more
17. Tizen007 (Posts: 500; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
If that's the final design made of plastic. ( I hope it's wood or metal )
15. amirxd (Posts: 10; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
In my opinion a good Android phone should have metal budy and stock android. It seems S5 may come with metal budy but I'm not sure if there will be any Google Play Edition version (like S4 GPE)! If they make a metal GPE S5, it would be PERFECT! But overall the S5 seems to be a beast in specs!
16. horriblesilence (Posts: 3; Member since: 20 Jan 2014)
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see thinner bezels on the S5. Just saying.
19. yadu004 (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
Looks Exactly like S4. Without the home button.
21. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 927; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
well its just not Galaxy anymore,they had their famous years.now its time for LG,Sony or HTC.
28. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 629; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
If design was everything, only HTC One & iPhone would sell the maximum and samsung would have less than 20% share.. but its the otherway round..
Samsung has maximum share & iphone + HTC One share is less than 20%...
22. mmmanuuu (Posts: 207; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
s**tty design ! Why would they need a patent for such a s**tty design ? I thought they will launch an all new design with the s5 along with the new touch wiz. The concept designs which leaked on the internet are all really good with the thin bezels and all. I think Samsung should invite designs from the public if they can't do the job.
24. XaErO (Posts: 138; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
it looks like Galaxy S3 .. all rounded from sides, and also to the edges ..
Samsung, you really need to look for a good design this time ..
26. Cicero (Posts: 263; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
It looks like my GS4 in Spigen case. I like it!
27. PorkyBurger (Posts: 206; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Am I the only one who likes this design? Probably. :D
29. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5558; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i like this.
i may decide to get a S5.