Samsung confirms Gear 2 and Gear Fit prices
The Gear 2 will cost $295 (8,999 TWD) in Taiwan, while the Gear Fit will be cheaper: $197 (5,990 TWD). These prices are in line with the unofficial prices reported earlier this month: $300 / €300 for the Gear 2, and $200 / €200 for the Gear Fit.
$300 was also the initial price of last year’s Android-based Samsung Galaxy Gear, this being one of the reasons why it didn’t sell too well. It remains to be seen if the Gear 2 (which ditched Android for Tizen OS) will be more successful.
Just like the new Galaxy S5 smartphone, the Gear 2 and Gear Fit will be available to buy starting April. A Samsung Gear 2 Neo will also be released then, most probably costing as much as the Gear Fit. All three new wearables will be compatible with various other Samsung devices besides the Galaxy S5, including the Galaxy Note 3, Note 3 Neo, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab Pro, and Galaxy Note Pro.
source: ePrice.tw (translated)
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1578; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Passed on Gear 1 and I'll be passing on this one as well. Thanks but no thanks Samsung.
2. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 854; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Hey Samsung, Motorola just called and said no one cares anymore.
10. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
No one cares about motorola ... #NumbersDontLie
11. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 854; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
What numbers? The only numbers that are impressive in the smart watch department are pebble. How can you compare it with Motorola or other people's numbers (except Sammy since they already ventured into this market and were unimpressive) when they haven't released it yet. #SenseMakeSome
17. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Read properly before you type.
Global smartwatch shipments grew rapidly to an all-time high during Q4 2013. The main brand driving the smartwatch market was Samsung, whose Galaxy Gear model vastly out-shipped all major rivals worldwide in the quarter.
There is no challenger for Gear in present market. Period.
18. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 739; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Actions like this
u/article/528259/telstra_givin g_away_free_galaxy_gear_galaxy _note_3_pre-orders/
Also have impact on sales, though the watch wasnt really sold, but given 'free'
21. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 854; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
@rd_nest: There's no challenger for the Gear in the market because, bear with me here since I already mentioned it, NONE OF THE MAJOR PLAYERS ARE IN THIS MARKET YET. With that in mind the sales are incredibly sad especially bearing this in mind.
Also, in the second article shipping devices is not the same as selling.
36. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Read the comment below #Hater
15. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 854; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Here are some numbers that don't lie and are pretty pitiful:
27. willard12 (Posts: 778; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Every company, including apple, only reports shipments. Best buy, phones 4 u, etc don't send Samsung their sales reports. Every time you see sales numbers, it is coming from some analytics firm that is doing an estimate.
32. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6408; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
No one don't know how much the 360 Moto watch will cost so don't even say smart watches are cheap
3. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Cant wait to get my hands on gear 2 .. just updated my Galaxy Mega to 4.3 so now it has bluetooth low energy needed for the galaxy gear .. I was going to get the 1st one but I'll wait for the 2nd ..
37. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
I just got it 3 days ago, although my sister also has one didn't get it, so i guess it's on the way
4. Razrman (Posts: 68; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Hmm, no thanks. Moto 360 will be better than this. ;-)
12. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Nobody knows anything for sure. Last I checked many people claimed nexus will make Galaxy series irrelevant.
Not to mention, betterylife with Android remains a big concern with proved to be a concern with Gear.
33. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6408; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
How will Moto 360 be better? smart watches are getting expensive what's the point in buying them at a high price point? I prefer buying the GEAR FIT less expensive.
6. Sakeem (Posts: 137; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
I wonder what Samsung's reaction was when they saw the Moto 360 smart watch> lol
8. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
They wont care about a company that cant even make a dollar :/
14. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Let's see -- the same reaction Samsung executives have when they see a concept of a flying car.
Afterall, if mobile sales are of any indication, nobody can move a product though vertical integration like Samsung does. Not even Apple has that level of verticle integration. With Tizen, it's just totally different level now.
Consider this, by the Moto 360 launches, Gear will be in 3rd Gen probably. The amount of learning that Samsung will gain through 2 generation of actual product sales is incomparable. They will know for sure what worked and what didn't.
22. androiphone20 (Posts: 1422; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Long story short, all you're saying is Samsung is a vertical monopoly and when you think about it, it doesn't really fall far from the truth.
16. hurrycanger (Posts: 1092; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I think Samsung is gonna join the Wear family, too. Samsung has never hesitated to more devices, right? xD
20. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2166; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
You people are funny. You see a concept for a device that is nowhere near production, you have absolutely no idea what its functionality will be, or even if the actual device will resemble what you saw & you flip. Expectations, man. Temper them.
13. PorkyBurger (Posts: 219; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I want in blue, but I'm too young lol (;-;)
19. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Move to Korea and go into a night club. Problem solved lol
24. skymitch89 (Posts: 1056; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I think that someone needs to re-work the pricing of theses. $200 does not equal €200, it equals €143.79. And €200 does not equal $200, it equals $278.18.
Other than that, I'm kind of thinking about getting a Gear Fit as long as it's compatible with the Note 3.
25. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 505; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Screw the watches, I want that Korean model! Yum!
34. Ninetysix (Posts: 1578; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
30. Blazers (Posts: 204; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Samsung needs to release a version of the Gear 2 without a camera.
31. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2166; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Perhaps you should pay more attention. They were announced at the same time.
35. techloverNYC (Posts: 400; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
$300+ for non luxury watch, its better come with a BJ from one of those girls lol