Samsung announces the Galaxy Gear smartwatch: a companion to your Note 3 for $299
- Banjo: which aggregates social updates to bring you trending stories
- Evernote note taking app
- Glympse for location sharing
- Line messaging
- MyFitnessPal nutrition and exercise tracking
- Path social network
- Pocket read-it-later app
- RunKeeper exercise tracking
- TripIt for travel plan organization
- Vivino Wine Scanner which lets you take a picture of a bottle of wine to get info on it
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5: all you need to know
24 Feb 2014, 17:06
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Sony Xperia Z2 display analyzed: large color gamut, excellent color accuracy
28 Feb 2014, 05:29
1. PunyPoop (Posts: 564; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Is that the Final Design? or are they just showing the Prototype?
9. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 536; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Design kinda look nice.. At least it looks like a watch..
18. giani (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
yeah i love the screws ! let's be serious...it's a joke..
p.s. $299 for that ? only in US..
26. indianapple89 (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Yeah. Considering that the Nexus 4 16GB is now $249 it seems like a big ripoff..
32. rd_nest (Posts: 534; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Try getting that much of tech inside that small watch. How much did google glass cost?? Do you realize how difficult it is to put all that camera, sensors, radios, battery, screen inside such a small device? Think properly before you say something.
49. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3425; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
You can't wear the Google Nexus 4. lol
I can't wait to get this & root it. The developers on XDA are going to have a field day with this device.
It's going to be CRAZY. I can't wait!!!!!!!
70. rd_nest (Posts: 534; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Thoughts on Samsung Gear — I like to think about it in terms of advancements we made in technology and engineering over past few years. This is basically original iPhone specs inside a watch. That’s how much the tech improved over the years.
Infact this has faster SOC, better GPU, 4x more RAM, a higher PPI and a much better display with full colour gamut, a camera that records at 720p. Even iPhone 3GS didn’t support 720p video recording, and same storage, sensors, BLE (Bluetooth 4)..All inside a watch..
Amazing to see how tech is improving so fast!
41. daniel_bargs (Posts: 321; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
To be honest, I remembered my grandma's hearing aid after seeing the Samsung Galaxy Gear.
43. PunyPoop (Posts: 564; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
This is a perfect bundle!
71. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
first of all z1 is wanna be lumia 1020. sony smartwatch 2 and galaxy gear is not same. Sony watch has no mics, speakers, camera, and health tracking ability. Thus, it serves different purpose and cannot be compared with galaxy gear
34. ardent1 (Posts: 1968; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Q: Do you know why the Sony PSP Go and Game Boy Micro failed?
A: Screen was too small.
On top of that, now you need to charge two devices each day.
61. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
It's a watch, how big of a screen do you want? Seriously off comment comparing a smart watch to the PSP Go and Game Boy, especially when everyone knows they were phased out because better technology came along. One day these will be obsolete also as technology develops.
66. quesoesgrande (Posts: 208; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
I already charge my nexus, iPad, Vita, and 3DS nearly every day. What would one more be?
51. rihel_95 (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Google should quickly release a smartwatch of theirs as so many smartwatches are coming up, with their own set of app standards and SDK. Its getting harder for developers. Google should release it, and standardize the set of SDK for the apps. More help to developers!
54. ardent1 (Posts: 1968; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
One more thing about the "great device."
Q: Do you know why the Sony memory stick lost out to SD card?
A: Sony's product was proprietary vs the universal SD card. That is to say, had the Samsung Gear been designed to interact with any android smartphone, the Gear would be more successful.
I am reading about Qualcom's Toq that uses e-ink and their smartphone appears to be device agnostic, e.g. it works with several android OEM.
68. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 258; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Qualcomm Toq seems a better piece of technology: battery lasts days, wireless charging and always-on display visible with the sun. Don't think any of the smartwatches would do better
52. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 241; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
I think that the design looks much better than the leaked prototype design but I need to see it in real life before I can make my final judgement. I'd like to know the dimensions of the device and its weight. I am really curious how long the battery lasts. Still, $299 is really overpriced. You can buy a good smartphone for that amount of money which offers you a lot of functionality. In comparison, the watch itself is useless without a smartphone. I consider a price of $150 - $200 fair.
64. androiphone20 (Posts: 941; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
The guys at Apple must be laughing
there asses off saying "Our iPod
Nano's looked more appealing as a
watch than this thing here ... "
72. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
haha, but i think they must be worrying. "We have tons of cash but we have no idea how to innovate and utilize the cash. Lets try to purchase few companies and see how we can use them."
76. schinnak (Posts: 77; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
PA - Samsung clearly said the battery will last 25+ hours.
77. gaby1451 (Posts: 109; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I saw the video, it did say that didn't it?
21. cncrim (Posts: 375; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
That's exactly what was thinking. Why do we need spend a lot of money that don't even have it own phone radio capable? the still phone FAIL FAIL gear.
73. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
hehe, he would have failed with his countdown if you have not commented here :)
3. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5457; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
nice design but not so sure bout the camera on the wrist.
13. PunyPoop (Posts: 564; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
That's for spy cam.. You know recording videos while watching in a Movie house :)
45. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
hmm, i really like the camera... i guess im the only one?
5. tedkord (Posts: 3776; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Does it have a poison dart launcher? I want that.
6. emadshiny (Posts: 968; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
It looks waaaaay better than that Ugly prototype!
P.S: Still prefer Sony's.
24. pwnarena (Posts: 564; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
but sony paired their smartwatch 2 with colorful straps and they look amazingly stupid.
that angular sony smartwatch design looks best with a formal-like strap, not colorful neon-y straps for kids.
40. emadshiny (Posts: 968; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Dont forget that Gear works ONLY with Samsung devices:
7. McLTE (Posts: 612; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I'd say the design is pretty conservative, which isn't a bad thing.
I'm SO SO SO SO glad it looks like a WATCH and not some futuristic dork apparatus.
Overall I'm impressed by their first shot at a smart watch. I do like the sony design better at this point.. so it really comes down to seeing them in person and price.
60. timukh (Posts: 60; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Also the battery life should improve. After all its a watch. So nearly a day of battery life isnt good enough.
8. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Look out d**k Tracy, won't be long before this is a viable reality. Would like to see an update on battery life though.
11. Commentator (Posts: 2080; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
We really need to censor D*ck even when it refers to someone's name, huh?
That's pretty darn funny, especially when people can get away scot-free with calling people retards and making "trite" comments about rape. Ha ha ha...
...Seriously though, shame on you PhoneArena.
12. zachattack (Posts: 301; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
What would really be dorky is someone wearing this and playing with a note 3 at the same time. How dumb would that look
15. Commentator (Posts: 2080; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Imagine him also wearing Google Glass.
14. mayur007 (Posts: 174; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
i heard people applauding after and while advertisement of note 3
really was nice advert :)
samsung didnt disappointed
17. Atlas (Posts: 153; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
Eh.. Not really what I expected from a smart watch, but the cameras a nice feature.
20. _Bone_ (Posts: 1988; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Not bad at all, you can basically use it for calling, taking lower res photos and audio recordings, read your notifications, I guess use maps and S-voice of course.
What I'm really interested to find out is how the speaker works, is it bone conducting technology, so you don't even have to put it to your ears (a little stupid to bring the watch all the way up) just your hand and tech delivers the voice? It would be awesome!
46. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
that would be awesome.. but i highly doubt it
29. pwnarena (Posts: 564; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
samsung really has no sense for good design. even the note 3 looks awful with the leather back.
we can't deny, though, that samsung offers the most features.
75. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
pwn, its personal preference. I like its design and i saw many comments who loved the design. And you cannot say samsung has no sense of good design. Have you seen their, tvs, THeir home sync device, Latest laptop..all are great device and they use metals as well. They choose plastic for their phone for several reasons..
74. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
gear and sony watch are designed for different purposes. You find out those purposes on you own. Few hints-sony smartwatch 2 doesn't have mics, speakers, camera..... If you wanna compare those 2 then you can compare all watches. I prefer Rolex over these both :)
23. darkvadervip (Posts: 260; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
I agree BillyBoy. I rather get the Sony or the iwatch or official Google watch
25. omacmagic (Posts: 25; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Was expecting them to incorporate the bendable display technology into their watch and make it look at least futuristic. Looks lime a normal watch to me.
27. lekeola (banned) (Posts: 43; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Good device though, but I did prefer to go for something that set d limit on smart watch. "emopulse smile". its a bracelet with built in micro sim, 3 camera for diff purposes , 128 256 gig SSD, NFC . and work as a stand alone.
28. androiphone20 (Posts: 941; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
thats it, still waiting for the 10th
31. Blazers (Posts: 139; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
If it was a stand alone device it MIGHT be worth paying $200 for. But since it has to be tethered to a galaxy smartphone, it should be a $100 or less.
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 8877; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Who in the heck designed that watch, Stevie Wonder? Sammy no flexible screen? No style? No purchase from me.