Samsung Galaxy S5 mini pictured next to the full-sized model
The Samsung Galaxy S5 mini is expected to feature a 4.5 inch Super AMOLED display with resolution of 720 x 1280. Speculation has the phone powered by a quad-core 1.4GHz Exynos 3 processor. Inside will be 1.5GB of RAM with 16GB of native storage. Back and front-facing cameras weigh in at 8MP and 2MP respectively. Ultra Power Saving Mode and Kids Mode are both on board, and the phone will have Android 4.4.2 pre-installed.
We could see the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini get unveiled on June 12th, at Samsung's Galaxy Premiere event at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Pictures of the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini, some with the Samsung Galaxy S5
source: SamMobile via SammyHub
1. UglyFrank (Posts: 542; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
The processor is a disappointment, not even open GLES 3.0 compliant,
3. fzacek (Posts: 2087; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I think the processor is just fine. Faster processor and more RAM than Moto G, which already handles pretty well...
8. Finalflash (Posts: 1872; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea but instead of Google edition level performance you have touchwiz on it, and that is inefficient enough on the high end phones much less the low end.
6. sipha (Posts: 313; Member since: 12 May 2012)
This mini version thing annoys me.. Whats the point if its gona be almost the same size as the regular version?? & if it has infirior specs, how it is a version of it?? ...its all a marketing spin and i find it insulting!!
9. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's display more than half an inch smaller than the Galaxy S5's, that justifies it being a mini. And being mini comes at a cost with lower specs (unless you're Motorola). Sony's Xperia Z1 compact is not under mini branding, it's specifically a compact version of the Xperia Z1; the terminology is different, so it's a different type of product.
12. sipha (Posts: 313; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Ja, but the phones themselves are almost same size. Just look at the pictures!!
18. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's kind of hard to tell the difference of the two phones. Go to picture #2, and zoom in the picture focusing on the Galaxy S5. Zoom it in to where it just barely fits in the frame, then pan over to the Galaxy S5 mini. Then you can get a better idea of how much smaller it is in terms of height, which is significant. It's hard to get a sense of how much narrower it is because it's at an angle.
10. Finalflash (Posts: 1872; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea, I don't think anyone but Sony has fully grasped the mini concept. The S1 compact is the only thing that should be considered in this category of mini super phones. They even had the size perfectly cut down to 4.3 inches screen wise and SD 800 proc. Everything else is just marketing BS riding on the coattails of the high end phone. Seriously though since these products are usually developed well in advance, I think the next generation of mini phones for HTC/Samsung/etc. will have some inspiration from Sony's model.
13. sipha (Posts: 313; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Am very excited about next generation HTC phones..
14. maherk (Posts: 1112; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Almost the same size? What are you smoking man?
23. maherk (Posts: 1112; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
That's the white version next to the black version
32. shuaibhere (Posts: 1657; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Both of em are s5 mini...
Look picture 2 for the difference..
S5 mini us quiet compact for it's size unlike s5..
24. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Even the S2, S3 is better than this.
7. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I think the rumor about the SoC was wrong. No way they would release an SoC under the Exynos 3 line. It was the third generation of Samsung SoCs, why would they release a device in their flagship line under a processor line that's 2 generation behind? It'll probably be an Exynos 5 Quad; dual core A15 and dual core A7 paired with a Mali-T624 or Mali-450 GPU. That's just my guess.
36. Genersis (Posts: 203; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Hmm, I think a quad A7 is probably spot on considering the specs of it's peers.
I agree though, it's likely going to run a Mali 450, the 400 is just too old.
2. fzacek (Posts: 2087; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
These specs are actually pretty decent compared to some other mini flagships...
4. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
My next phone will be the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Prime Ace Neo Active Mini Supreme.
11. fzacek (Posts: 2087; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Yeah. Samsung needs to clean up their act. They need to make several properly solid phones instead of hundreds of half-baked ones...
15. maherk (Posts: 1112; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
They have been using this model for running their phone industry for the past 4 years and I am pretty sure if they were losing money or not selling well they would've stopped by now. You should keep your advices for the OEM's who are struggling with their sales and are on the verge of bankruptcy.
19. fzacek (Posts: 2087; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I know but it's just annoying for consumers...
21. maherk (Posts: 1112; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
No it's not, back in my home country people live on such choices, $10 in price difference would be a deal breaker for them, and trust me Samsung is hitting the jackpot with those different models. They basically took Nokia's model when symbian was the king of OSs and surely that's bringing them success in return.
5. HoPhonTab (Posts: 36; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
I think the price of this is same as the z1 compact cause I know that samsung is overpriced in there mid range phone :P
17. Genersis (Posts: 203; Member since: 29 May 2013)
...so, it uses a very similar processor to the Galaxy SIII?
Not bad I guess. I just hope it's priced competitively.
25. HoPhonTab (Posts: 36; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
The S5 Mini just scored 18000+ but its just half of the score of the S5 so hope the price of the S5 Mini is also half the price of the S5
26. gigaraga (Posts: 1367; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Seems like a very capable Mini. rather just get SIII, but that has outdated software
34. redmd (Posts: 901; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
This should be priced like the current S3. It has waterproofing advantage to its sleeves.
27. flipjzn (Posts: 184; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Samsung Galaxy Minis suck! I got a 2 month old S4 mini duos that keeps freezing and worst of all, I still haven't received the KitKat update! );
28. wedhos (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
seemed galaxy mini s5 will come a little late in my country, I'd better wait for samsung sm-g750h (k mega) and samsung sm-g850f (s5 active galaxy) are already certified in my state
29. zhangyamysaga (Posts: 6; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
When Computer was born , Many people think their life will have a new starting. As they imagine , Computer is the best love for most of people in a long time. But with the passage of time. Laptop replaced Computer gradually and to be new leading role. Until now , Smartphone has become one indispensable part of our daily life , Such as Iphone and Samsung. However , these give us a fantasy. Who will be next Iphone or Samsung ?
Maybe everyone has their answer , But my answer is EZTV Living Room Computer. The reason is very simple. It has many functions that Smartphone can’t achieve.
First , It support network functions and can makes TV used as Computer. No matter how far you and TV. You still can manage TV like Computer. Such as, Play games, chat with your friend etc by wireless keyboard and mouse.
Second, Except some android system functions and applications. It has easyROM system of Independent research and development. Systerm is more stable, Running is more smooth,Operation is easier.You can operate home page,browser,e-mail,video message etc.Only one step can complete it.
If smartphone can make life become more convenient ,Then EZTV Living Room Computer can change you life completely.
30. kent-gaga (Posts: 101; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
the usb port is not covered by any flaps so it's not water resistant am i right?
33. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 438; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I know, right? I noticed that too. An exposed USB 2.0 port with no flaps. So it couldn't be IP certified.
39. phljcnth (Posts: 287; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
But look at the gasket at the battery cover. It's so confusing!
35. Genersis (Posts: 203; Member since: 29 May 2013)
There's no way this thing is running the ageing Mali 400, surely?
More likely, it will run the Mali 450, which has a similar performance to it's mini peers.
37. salaal (Posts: 106; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
I think it will have a new exynos 5255 quad dual core a15 1.7GHz dual core a7 1.3GHz
Mali T-624 MP3
All s5 features