Samsung Galaxy S4’s Gorilla Glass 3 goes against a set of knives in scratch test
While Gorilla Glass 2 made the glass thinner at the same strength, in Gorilla Glass 3 scratch resistance improves three times resulting in a 40% reduction in visible scratches and a 50% enhancement in retained strength after the glass becomes flawed.
But while all those sound good on paper, it’s really impressive to see the Galaxy S4 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display go against a set of knives and... well, you’ll see if it survived in the video below.
1. Adithya7184 (Posts: 317; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
i think gorilla glass 3 is somewhat better than gorilla glass 2. waiting for drop test
13. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
me too waiting for drop test with NL920......will be "clash of the titans two"
24. alliswellplssmile (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
He is very talent, he was hitted with pen forcely, but when come to knife test, some wat he managed, he didn't apply any force on screen, this is not correct scratch test. try to make ............. :)
Drop test is correct to prove how strong it is
27. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Is it just me or did he go from most to least dangerous? Either way, scratch tests aren't the main concern: it's drop tests that determine how much of a pounding your device can take. Look forward to a GG3 drop.
2. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Wtf is the point of this.. U could not even scratch gorilla glass 1 with keys so why the hell would u be able to scratch GG3
11. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Exactly. My Razr Maxx has the 1st Gen of GG, and I always try to scratch the glass with my keys when I demo it to customers. It's insane!
19. JEverettnow (Posts: 224; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
I have replaced the screen on my SGS3 twice due to being scratched up. They scratch fairly easily. Event the "scratch resistant" Motorola Photon Q gets scratched up. I think the point of it is having MORE scratch resistant glass.
21. KParks23 (Posts: 497; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
You don't get it I could take my htc thunderbolt and do this and it won't scratch the screen this is pointless! Phones have been able to withstand the knife and keys for years now it's the sand in dirt that scratches ur phone not ur keys!
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
As expected! It survived......! :)
12. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
because it's a gorilla glass 3 by corning..........that's why
4. voxmarc (Posts: 322; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
i would love to see S4 vs One scratch test...not on screen but on the back and see who gets more......+)
5. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Lol! We all know the result..
6. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 28; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Both will have scratches of course. The difference is that the HTC will have permanent scratch unlike the S4 where you can easily buy a new battery door for it.
20. JEverettnow (Posts: 224; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Just replace the back of the SG4. Drop the ONE enough and have fun with the gouges in the aluminum. Every part of the SG4 is replaceable. Nothing on the one is replaceable. I have seen what happens to the EVO 4glte and evo 3d when dropped. It isn't pretty.
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Someone should drop it from an apartment on the 20th floor!
NO! NO! That's too harsh! Ok, a simple drop test is better, so who is gonna make the Samsung Galaxy S4 drop test? PhoneArena? Android Authority? :/
8. best_ (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
superficial test .. look at him how scared is to use that knife with more power
9. FlushGordon (unregistered)
A wet towel full of beach sand will scratch that thing easily
23. haseebzahid (Posts: 1843; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
no its not must buy, Its too Damn expensive
25. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Yeah full unlocks are expensive, you can buy it through hire purchase
16. siluro (Posts: 46; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
No surprises here. There are the exact same tests on Gorilla Glass 1 and 2 where they all came out the same... Try something else like dirt or sand!
17. kozza3 (Posts: 586; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
these tests are so stupid. what i would LOVE to see is what it scores on the Mohs scale.
22. mydi.maus (unregistered)
try a hammer that will do..