Samsung Galaxy S4 shipments reach 23.4 million units
As demand for high end smartphones has clearly slowed down (despite what Apple’s Tim Cook says), now low and mid-range devices in the $150 to $450 segment are becoming more and more popular.
Samsung alone managed to ship nearly a third of all smartphones on the planet this quarter. The Korean company recorded 71 million shipped smartphones, a new record. The Galaxy S4 on its part sold in the impressive 23.4 million units, according to TrendForce. That’s slower than the bravest projections, but still a great number.
We should not overlook the growth of China. The largest phone market saw its Huawei, ZTE, Lenovo, CoolPad and others grow sales 44% this past quarter.
3. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1116; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
\***/ GET YOUR POPCORN HERE \***/ \***/
13. jdoee100 (Posts: 260; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I want some chips as well. It's fun watching Samsung make these naysayers eat their words.
41. belovedson (Posts: 806; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
but unfortunately the entire continent of china is creeping up.
sad sad day for manufaturers around the world.
even the electronics scene they want to take over
2. magnanimus (Posts: 51; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Did the iPhone sell as fast as this? (Just a question, not meaning to start a fan-war)
9. Victor.H (Posts: 322; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Depends. Combined iPhone sales (including iPhone 4, 4S and 5) were more at 31.5 million units, but we can't really make an 'apples to apples' comparison as we don't have an official iPhone 5 sales number to put against the S4.
18. tech2 (Posts: 813; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
In the title you mentioned 'shipment' and below in the article you said 'sold'. Which of the two is it ?
33. tedkord (Posts: 3388; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They're the same. Apple's numbers include shipped to vendors, as they sell those to the vendors and don't have access to the sales numbers of those folks. Apple can report direct sales as they also sell direct, Samsung does not.
Look at it this way - retailers ordered 10 million Galaxy S4 units the first month. If they were just sitting on shelves collecting dust, would they order 10 million more the next?
4. jdoee100 (Posts: 260; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
23.4 mil is a recording breaking number anyway you put it. But for whatever reason, stock market, some media and anti-samsung fans put this as a disappointment. No logic or rationality.
34. tedkord (Posts: 3388; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The same happened with Apple. People get unrealistic expectations, then get upset when they're not meet. That's the stock market through and through.
6. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
but..but....not upto expecatations
7. KashAli (Posts: 102; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Don't buy it goes red hot and restarts all the time automatically. (pricks no fan-boy comments or :@ )
21. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Obviously 23.4million people didn't read your comment...
31. taz89 (Posts: 1765; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I have the s4 and can admit that it gets warm near the camera when im playing a game or multi tasking but my phone has not rebooted by itself once(touchwood)
37. jacko1977 (Posts: 330; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
nope i got i9505 and i9500 since released and yet waiting for it to get toasty
39. KashAli (Posts: 102; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
It is going to toast you bro when it gets hot and cool you when it is going to switch off automatically.
8. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
this is more than htc,sony,and lg combined!!!!!!
10. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1116; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
in a parallel universe ,Nokia ships 23.4 million Lumia 920's
12. smallworld (Posts: 360; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
That's a hard news for you poor Nokia fanboys. You wish Nokia was so successful uh ?
But that's not going to happen anytime soon !!
15. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
strong qoq results by NOKIA.
NOKIA THE KING.
36. apple4never (Posts: 360; Member since: 08 May 2013)
um theoretical physics states this as true however not in a parallel universe, in our own just really far away, due to finite possibilities meaning that everything is happening an infinite amount of times like im writing this an infinite amount of times somewhere and you reading this an infinite amount of times somewhere.-not a physicist just a highschool student ;)
22. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
did u forget to mention Nokia??
record speaks that Nokia is not even in Top 5 smartphone list
or may be u r a nokia fanboy???
Combine all Lumia sales from last 2 years still they dont make near to 30 million
17. aryanfr1 (Posts: 37; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
wish I would had waited for Crap-dragon 800 rather than my Crap-dragon 600 S4
40. KashAli (Posts: 102; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
I sooo agree with you Samsung you bitch ripped me off. Releasing So Many S4s
19. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1494; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Wow that's great number but still not that great for Sammy.
20. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
NOKIA lumia 800,900,920,720.710.820, in last 2 years less than 20 million
gs4 alone near to 25 million in just 2 months
nokia you are so slow
not slow...Out of Boundry,not in a position to come.near SAMSUNG
again Note 3 will kick Nokia
23. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Well this should be interesting....abcdefgh where are you?
24. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
i have just 1 word for him
NOkia is not even in top 5 smartphone shipments from last 2 years
26. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
probably not the situation after NOKIA world.
28. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
i have already asked my friends to buy 5 million lumia's
so that they can help Nokia
25. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
note3 not only kicks NOKIA but also sony,lg,htc...
27. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
ofcourse everyone will be kicked by note 3
so finally u knw the real power of samsung that u itself included all brands>Note3
42. sbw44 (Posts: 198; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
What is your deal with Nokia? you seem to mention them everytime in a negative way. But listen with all your useless Quad Core's which you can only use for games Nokia makes Far and I mean Far better phones than samsung!
They have Premium phones
By far the best camera tech
The best customer service
Plus they offer us something different in WP!
At least I will buy I phone that stands out from the crowd and on that's used by millions of people!
BTW You idiots seems to forget this is Nokia's rebuilding phase! We all expected it to be like this! Where were you a couple of years back when Nokia had almost 80% of all smartphones on the planet? It just shows how happy and glad you idiots are Nokia did not go with android then what? Crapsung would have then do same like they did with apple and copy the hell out of Nokia!
Crapsungs time won't last long at the top! especially for a company that can't innovate!
29. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 567; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Man oh man, I'm sure even Apple are like 'WTF!???' LOL! Samsung has truly come in and pretty much dominated the industry in every way.
30. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
sold 20 million in 2 months since release. looks like demand really weakened. anticipation for the note 3?
32. PhoneCritic (Posts: 329; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Astounding and really not a surprise to say the least as Samsung brand is getting a heavy recognition not due just to it's marketing push but because of a trend among the young middle school and high school kids.( this is my experience working in the north east school system IT ) As the kids want to differentiate themselves from the everyone else . They have abandon Apple fro Samsung. Why? I ask them them why they have S3s & S4s and the frequent answer is The teachers have iPhones, The Parents have iPhones, The Grand parents have iPhones. (Jay -Z now has a S4-LoL) its not cool anymore.
Apples success was to Successful ( Like Rim, Microsoft, Nokia, Intel, etc... ) an is now seen as the old persons phone.
Samsung should enjoy it for as long as they can as when they become very successful they to will seem like the old mans brand and someone else will be the cool young kid brand.
The old adage that every dog has it's day- Nokia had its time, Rim had its Time, Microsoft had its time, Intel had it's time, Apple had it's time ( still there but the decline is happening) Samsung is having its time now ( and it will pass ) nothing last forever in this temporal world.
38. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Very well put, I don't really see WP taking android's place in the market but some time or another something else will come along and offset things... And we should all be looking forward to it.
35. _Bone_ (Posts: 1735; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
"The teachers have iPhones, The Parents have iPhones, The Grand parents have iPhones" - ouch. :)
Yeah, Sammy likes to mock that in it's commercials. Don't think youngsters give half a damn if it's a nicely curved, metallic build marvel, they care about what the device can do, and if it's different enough from the "establishment" (which would be the iPhone).