Phones in 2012: the year in numbers
What’s more interesting is that for a lot of those people the phone was also a portal to the Internet, a first camera, and so on, and so on.
All of those amazing facts are summarized in the upcoming 2013 Tomi Ahonen Almanac, but some of the numbers are already out. Take a look at those right below, and let them sink in.
GLOBAL MOBILE NUMBERS
- Human population . . . . . . . . . 7.1 Billion
- Mobile subscriptions . . . . . . . 6.7 Billion is 94% per capita
- Unique Mobile Users . . . . . . . 4.3 Billion is 61% per capita
- Handsets in use . . . . . . . . . . 5.3 Billion
- Smartphones . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.3 Billion is 25% of all handsets
- 3G Connections . . . . . . . . . . 1.3 Billion is 19% of subscriptions and 25% of handsets
- WiFi users on mobile . . . . . . 1.1 Billion is 16% of subscriptions and 21% of handsets
- SMS active users . . . . . . . . . 5.6 Billion is 83% of subscriptions
- Voice call users . . . . . . . . . . 5.4 Billion is 81% of subscriptions
- Camera users . . . . . . . . . . . 4.8 Billion is 72% of subscriptions
- Mobile Ad audience . . . . . . . . 4.0 Billion is 60% of subscriptions, is 56% of planet
- MMS active users . . . . . . . . . 2.9 Billion is 43% of subscriptions and 60% of cameraphone users
- News active users . . . . . . . . . 2.3 Billion is 34% of subscriptions
- Browser (including WAP) . . . . 2.1 Billion is 31% of subscriptions and 84% of all internet users
- Premium SMS . . . . . . . . . . . 1.9 Billion is 28% of subscriptions and 34% of all SMS users
- HTML browser 'real internet' . . 1.5 Billion is 22% of subscriptions and 60% of all internet users
- Search on mobile . . . . . . . . . 1.3 Billion is 19% of subscriptions and 62% of mobile browser users
- Gamers (download/browse) . . 1.2 Billion is 18% of subscribers and 57% of mobile browser users
- Apps downloaders . . . . . . . . . 1.2 Billion is 18% of subscribers
- Social Networking . . . . . . . . . 1.1 Billion is 16% of subscribers and 53% of mobile browser users
- Ringback tone subscribers . . . 1.0 Billion is 15% of subscribers
source: Tomi Ahonen Almanac 2013
2. Firedrops (Posts: 198; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
That means that the number stated counts people with multiple subscriptions as only one entry.
e.g. Mr Smith has a phone contract in Canada, and concurrently one in USA. It is counted as only one.
6. Cynipap999 (banned) (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
Sounds like Mr. Smith has an iPhone and,
since one iPhone equals ½ a regular Smartphone, two halves make a whole. Maybe Mr. Smith should go to Washington and seek fairer legislation to better account for his partial statistics so he's not forevermore considered incomplete??
18. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
A unique Mobile user is me!!! DUHH!!!!?!!!!
3. johnnh (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
unique person, in most developed countries they are 5 phones per person
4. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Everything in billions and counting...wow!!
5. Cynipap999 (banned) (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
How does this study factor and quantify the Trillions of iPhone users around the world who can only use wi-fi and, therefore, do not have Mobile Subscriptions because they only use mobile hotspots set up by 3rd parties?
14. Commentator (Posts: 2096; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
iPhones can definitely use cellular data. I actually know a lot of people with iPhones that also have mobile subscriptions.
I can't believe that you don't know this. Granted, it's possible that you're being sarcastic, but that's pretty hard to believe since nobody is ever sarcastic on the internet.
7. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 646; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Incredible :o quite scary how far the mobile phone has come in the last decade, yet so many companies just dont get how crucial it is to gain an understanding and skills in digital marketing, especially for mobile.
8. Thephonegeek (Posts: 118; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
Only two days left and "2012" film will be moved to comedy genre.
10. rupeshwar (Posts: 5; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Human population . . . . . . . . . 7.1 Billion
That includes kids too. So Mobile subscriptions per capita must be more.
11. The_Innovation (Posts: 524; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Quite a way to keep check on everyone. We have made it easy for them ;)
12. adnankhan (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Dec 2012)
Interesting statistics. I was hoping the article would give the numbers of each kind of phones sold this year.
13. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Just 81% of people use their phones for voice calls
Why do the others own them? To check the time?
16. Commentator (Posts: 2096; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Well yeah, you can get a cell phone for about the same price as a cheap watch these days.