Only in Japan: flip phone share growing, smartphones on decline
1. Anterv (Posts: 172; Member since: 09 Jul 2014)
Ironically, your brains get smarter without smartphone.
2. Aploine (Posts: 426; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
Economic crisis + age + tired of big phones and too much social mabe?
4. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
New trend: Going back to flip phones, Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, Going back to Playstation One, 2000 Toyota Corolla.
METRO AWAITS...MAKE BELIEVE...LIKE NO OTHERS...Welcome back to the good old days.
21. dancheung77 (Posts: 192; Member since: 28 Jan 2015)
Sony Ericsson, Sony Walkman, laser disk and power rangers
16. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
And Apple phone didn't exist either. I prefer a flip phone over any smart phone. Better battery life screen doesn't crack either
20. dimas (Posts: 1977; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
It's just being practical and feature flip phones are cheaper and more convenient to use if you're only after the basic functions of a phone.
37. lalalaman (Posts: 631; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Tbh I would love to have a flip phone,it's that if it is made like Nokia n93or something, good 3in screen with 13mp camera, with good browsing and some essential apps like WhatsApp,viber,Skype....i have no worries with keypad
3. Finest (Posts: 90; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
Japanese people basically know how to live a life, than to rely their lives to a smartphone sitting all day wasting time streaming facebook instagram twitter etc etc. Im getting fat because of my smartphone back in my time kids were playing outside having fun with their activities, but nowadays kids are all at home with their ipads, phones and stuffs losing the true meaning of childhood. Im glad i lived a life before the era of smartphones and dumb people came.
7. Anterv (Posts: 172; Member since: 09 Jul 2014)
I agree at this point. Parents are ignoring the fact that their kids are wasting time, and this is unacceptable. Looks like education for parents and kids about what is time wasting is insanely needed.
8. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Well I think kids should have some of the responsibilities on their own, not to push everything to parents and then suddenly blame them for ruining their lives. Tbh.
11. Aploine (Posts: 426; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
And that's something parents should teach them, more with their life and less with their words
12. Anterv (Posts: 172; Member since: 09 Jul 2014)
That's the point - responsibilities won't fall from the sky, it comes from your parents by teaching you.
14. Aploine (Posts: 426; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
I don't suggest that we have to blame our parents. Most probably they do what they can
10. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
Even kids these days are addicted to smartphones, tablets and social media. Hope in the future kids won't be like this...
What is 2+2?
What is 3+3?
How do we make friends?
What is the meaning of life?
24. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3722; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
"Im getting fat because of my smartphone..."
I stopped reading there.
Your smartphone isn't making you fat. Your laziness is.
30. Mutation.X (banned) (Posts: 185; Member since: 09 Feb 2015)
Bring back the sexy Ericsson T28
39. JohnZimmerman (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
Hahaha, they do? You should visit some day. Tokyo will change your perspective.
9. theguy2345 (Posts: 1196; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
They use other devices, such as 3DSs for smartphone type things such as web browsing and music. Odd, but true. So that could also contribute as well. Instead of paying a high price for a smartphone and data, the 3DS is only $200 equivalent, with most of the functions.
13. Settings (Posts: 1501; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Japan get most of fun.
The new 3DS,not the XL for example
15. theguy2345 (Posts: 1196; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
I just got the 3DS XL, and it is wonderful. I can see why people want the smaller one, but I am cool with the XL model. Also, in Nintendo's perspective, the smaller one barely sells. And it sucks you can't just import one. Stupid region locking...
18. EC112987 (Posts: 604; Member since: 10 Nov 2014)
You can buy the UK version which comes in English lol and just buy the games online
23. theguy2345 (Posts: 1196; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
It's still much easier to go to your local store. And plus the games will be more expensive
34. Phooey506 (Posts: 85; Member since: 24 Sep 2014)
96 PPI on the new 3DS XL. Lol 96. Even the OGDroid and iPhone 3g had higher ppi. Most $5-25 flip phones exceed 96 PPI as well.
17. Slammer (Posts: 1515; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
I will tell you this. With the ebbing of removable batteries, my wife and I have made a deal to stop purchasing smartphones if it becomes impossible to purchase one without the option. Flip phones are in our sight. The battery lifespan is far better due to less charging. Most have removable batteries which we like in case of issues related to a failing or faulty battery. No forking over exuberant money for someone to do what we can do ourselves.
19. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (Posts: 1047; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
Aging population, old people prefer features phone, enough said
25. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Idk, my mom once said that she will never use a smartphone, but now when she tried WP, she was extremely impressed with it and said that she will not go back to feature phones ever again. same went with my dad. I was shocked by results tbh. I barely got them to buy a smartphone for themselves.
26. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
So I just think they prefer feature phones because most of them havent tried using smartphones. Idk though D: okay, nvm.
28. KangLee (Posts: 15; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
That's not really true. Alot of aging people does prefer smartphone after they tried it due to fact that it has bigger screen and alot of them has easy home screen mode.
29. KangLee (Posts: 15; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Its alot better for their aging eyes specially.
31. Settings (Posts: 1501; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Battery life is the feature smartphones cant beat out of basic phones.
32. ericstealth (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Sep 2014)
Drug dealers love flip phones. No GPS to track them.
33. SuperNova (banned) (Posts: 649; Member since: 15 Jan 2015)
This is because Japanese people are so weird. im not racist here. But most of the adults don't get married. Maybe because they watch too much porn... Shame.
38. romeo1 (Posts: 706; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
What's weird about not getting getting married?
If it's not necessary in your religion there is no need. If you're not religious getting married is for saying/showing/fun. there are only disadvantages.(at least here)
But i agree they are different than western people. imo at some things better and some things less
35. iphoneman37 (Posts: 42; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
My father in law finally got a cell phone it's a flip phone we tried teaching him about smart phones but he don't won't to pay data charges or have Internet at his house he is too old fashioned.
36. GeekMovement (Posts: 2155; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I did miss flip phones as well, but now I'm spoiled with the convenience of a larger display and touch screen keyboard (swiftkey). I find it interesting that the flip phone market share went up and more so, smartphone down.
40. Crispin_Gatieza (Posts: 1615; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
A lot of posts bashing parents because their kids are "addicted" to smartphones. It's these very people who are responsible. Back some 10+ years ago, only guys like myself were using Treos and BlackBerrys. Not because we were geeks, but because our jobs evolved to the point of constant emails and other electronic leashes. Those of us with kids in their 20s and early 30s are the ones the kids saw when they were teenagers and thought it was cool. Now these same teenagers are the ones having kids now and suddenly "their kids are spoiled".
We did it for work. To put food on the table and buy you your stupid Nintendos and Ataris. We didn't do Facebook or any of that nonsense. The apps we drooled over were expense trackers and fax apps. Don't blame my generation for spoiled brat kids, blame yourselves.
41. anill (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)
hi..i have found a website where we can learn japanese via skype easily.its very helpful.
you can try this.