Nokia shows how you can keep your phone charged, with a solar panel suit
Nokia’s sustainability initiatives show that not only can you stomp on these panels and expect them to work, but you can also weave them together into a solar suit and keep your phone charged all day long.
Granted, we know wearing “solar armor” is not ideal, and the fashion statement is amusing, if but for a few minutes, but think of the next steps as they think of way to weave solar cells into the fabric of our shirts or jackets. After all, below in the video, a Lumia 1520 is kept fully charged all day using indoor light.
Soon, putting your smartphone in your pocket may mean more than just stowing it away, it could also be a means for charging it. So, while it is a bit outlandish to think of having to don solar panel suit of armor, it is not out of the realm of possibility that our clothes will someday keep our gadgets charged and ready to go at all times.
source: Nokia (YouTube)
1. UglyFrank (Posts: 974; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
This will have no practical use ever.....
2. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1792; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
How about a solar panel on the back of your phone. So when you are not using your phone, just put the screen face down to get some charge in the phone :P
15. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
There was one phone that had a solar panel on the back...
17. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1016; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
The only one I remember is Nokia adding solar panels on a C1-02 as an experiment
13. f1r3z0r (Posts: 88; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
sound good but the phone will get over heated
3. akki20892 (Posts: 3776; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Nokia lumia 1520 is king of battery life.
5. pwnarena (Posts: 1032; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
we're still running april fools' stories these days?
10. ojdidit84 (Posts: 427; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
A little late for April Fool's aren't we? On the other hand, I'll take one for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.
11. downphoenix (Posts: 2689; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
If they give me that solar armor and a Nokia 1520, I'd walk around with it.
12. allawi (Posts: 18; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Actually, it does work and I am charging my lumia with 3 solar panels and it charge it for 5 hours totally
14. greenlife (Posts: 21; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Nokia lumia 1520 keep phone charged will have no practical use ever
16. Shteeve (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
I quite like the idea of 'Solar Armour'
Would make me look bitchin' ;)
18. linaresx (Posts: 95; Member since: 13 Jun 2013)
If I had a suit like that I would wire it to shoot repulsor beams out of my palms.