Nokia: "Samsung take note, next generation Lumia coming soon"
The move comes shortly after the company announced its September 5 event, where it's almost sure that it'll introduce us to its first Windows Phone 8 devices. Nokia is probably affected by the fact that Samsung recently overtook its position as the world's leading cell phone manufacturer, so it kind of sees the South Korean company as its arch-enemy right now. When it comes to smartphones, though, once powerful Nokia is now far behind its competition with its modest market share of 6.6%, so it has a lot of catching up to do.
The Finns have produced some wonderful devices in the Lumia 800 and 900, and since we already know that Windows Phone 8 will be a quite substantial overhaul of the platform, we're really looking forward to seeing what surprises Nokia has in store for us.
source: ChrisWeber via TheVerge
1. sena7 posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:29 12 2
September is going to be a banner month for phone aficionados.
9. cepcamba posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:14 2 1
yep. MWC got me all fired up and I'm feeling the same thing again!
29. ardent1 posted on 16 Aug 2012, 23:46 0 2
lt will be a banner month if the iPhone 5 is released.
2. Awaragardiyan posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:33 9 2
IMO , The statement indicates more of a lumia note (phablet) than anything else.
3. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:34 8 9
Haha, nice stuff.
But Nokia'd better back up the brave words with deeds. Its stunts and big words with Lumia 900 were virtually lies so we can be sure when we see the real product.
26. haseebzahid posted on 16 Aug 2012, 11:03 6 1
900 was awsome device not to mension the os provided for it was not up to the mark
4. Diego! posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:42 8 18
These guys at Nokia are really shameless. They forgot that Samsung SELLS them the AMOLED panels, so be nice to them, or there will be shortages.
Take note you too Nokia :P
11. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:34 7 3
Samsung are not the only ones that make AMOLED or OLED panels. AU Optronics (AUO) and TPO Display also make OLED panels for Nokia.
17. rd_nest posted on 16 Aug 2012, 08:11 4 1
True.. question is how much they produce?
I have seen figures stating that Samsung has 97% of the market.
22. Diego! posted on 16 Aug 2012, 09:38 3 0
Yeah, but ALL AMOLED panels on Lumia were manufactured by Samsung
12. tegradragon posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:36 13 1
For this, if you call Nokia shameless, then what would you call Apple? They've been suing each other in court since a forever and Samsung is a major part supplier for Apple. The corporate world is not as simple as it looks.;)
5. TheLibertine posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:48 11 13
I would rather walt for Note II now than to take Note.
U problem, Nokia?
6. frydaexiii posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:49 6 10
Ha, the so called "not beta" phone can't even beat the S3 in terms of specs and functions/features. Samsung should have told them that statement a looooonngg time ago.
14. -box- posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:53 4 1
The 900 wasn't designed to be a world beater, merely a nice phone to go against a 4s, HTC Vivid, Samsung GS2 Skyrocket, and Motorola Atrix 2 (on AT&T's lineup) while being at least half the price of the first 3 if not lower. I say it's done a good job so far, speaking as a very satisfied owner, and I got mine during the preorder period and paid $0 for it. Most satisfactory "free" (not actually free due to contract) purchase I think I've yet had
24. frydaexiii posted on 16 Aug 2012, 10:06 3 0
Yeah, not saying the Lumia was a bad phone or wasn't worth it's price, from your statement it was very "value for money". What I'm saying is Nokia's getting ahead of themselves again when their first so called "breakthrough" phones weren't that successful.
7. satydesh posted on 16 Aug 2012, 06:52 2 0
might be nokia using rights given by ms to edit the OS as they want.This means that we will see some galaxy note type phones with wp8.This is going to be awesome for customers.Galaxy note 2 vs this wp8 thing!!!
8. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:04 0 2
How much liberty does the OEMs and carriers have with MS's phones? Don't own one so I'm curious to how much MS is giving control to the outside forces, if at all.
10. Bluesky02 posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:29 4 3
Nobody is going to take note so soon. Even if Nokia comes with a compelling product, it is going to take them years to recover their losses and position with proven sales.
13. Allen3697 posted on 16 Aug 2012, 07:46 4 1
I like Nokia but they really shouldn't be calling people out as they're slipping behind. Hopefully Windows Phone 8 succeeds.
16. Suts_97 posted on 16 Aug 2012, 08:04 4 3
Samsung is not going to be very worried about this as they have the world's best smartphone and phablet currently!
18. redmd posted on 16 Aug 2012, 08:16 4 2
Samsung is done taking notes, it ready yielded results. Nokia had lost it's aura in the high end market. The word "Lumia" is nowhere as common/mainstream as the word "Galaxy". People in my area want a Galaxy phone and had no idea what a Lumia phone is. So even if Nokia produces something high end, it will have a lot of catching up to do.
19. whysoserious posted on 16 Aug 2012, 08:55 3 4
I took notes when they first announced the PV 808, turned out to be a huge disappointment. I won't take notes from Nokia ever again.
30. No_Nonsense posted on 17 Aug 2012, 00:19 0 0
What was so disappointing in the 808? A (non)dated OS?
21. oldmandaddy posted on 16 Aug 2012, 09:30 2 2
Ok ,Samsung , you take note. You will fall like me from 45% to 10% soon. If you still making cheap phones and copy others. That's my advise. Love from Nokia.
25. Nathan_ingx posted on 16 Aug 2012, 10:14 1 1
Sammy just got " 'Not(e)'-fied"!!
Nokia...you disappoint at times, i hope this is not a stupid "act before you think" gimmick!!!
27. ChangMin2012 posted on 16 Aug 2012, 11:08 2 0
I remember that "We will need to prove to you that our phone is faster than yours" campaign that they've made some months ago. I don't know what they'll do next to overthrow the galaxy.
34. Nathan_ingx posted on 17 Aug 2012, 09:45 0 0
I hope they not only overthrow the "galaxy" but the whole "universe"!! :D
35. Nathan_ingx posted on 17 Aug 2012, 09:49 0 0
If they can that is...
Nokia has been slow in giving phones good and fast processors. While Sammy, LG, Moto and some of them got 'em 1gigs of hertz, Nokia is still toying with 464mhz!!! But that is on some old models...
I still can't find dual core processors in Nokia's build...maybe that might be a surprise!!!
31. No_Nonsense posted on 17 Aug 2012, 00:20 0 0
Anyone who thinks that this'll be the MS takeover of Nokia?
32. AndroidShiz posted on 17 Aug 2012, 01:37 0 0
Carly Rae Jepson sez: Hey Nokia, you're CEO was crazy, you're losing numbers, shoulda went with Android maybe. All the other phones, can not change me, but if it makes you feel better, call those empty threats out daily.
* On a side note if you had went with Android as well as Windows at least you could have overtaken the market with your Android line since it probably would've been better than Samsungs lineup, then have the Windows phones as a tax right off for all profits lost on it.
33. No_Nonsense posted on 17 Aug 2012, 06:32 0 0
So in the September 5 conference held at NYC, we'll probably see:
New WP8 devices/features
Updates for existing 7.5 devices
Location, location, location
(not what I want but) MS taking over Nokia. Just realized Nokia has events in Finland and USA the same day. Hope its not the takeover.
36. Montrose posted on 17 Aug 2012, 10:42 1 0
Love my iPhone4, iPad2 and even ditched my Windows PC for an Apple Macbook thinking I was done with Windows OS forever. But in all seriousness I missed my PC with the Windows OS so I sold my Macbook and went back to a new Windows PC. Got a loaded HP desktop and still saved many bucks over the Apple computer which seems like a very pricey stripped down version of a comp!! The iPad is a lot of fun if you just surf or play games, worthless for actual computing so I sold that as well. Still love the iPhone but would very much like to have a phone with the Windows OS so I can seamlessly sync with my PC and with my contract expiring soon I am very anxious to see what Nokia and Microsoft come out with.
37. SemperFiV12 posted on 18 Aug 2012, 16:32 0 0
Relax and take note, while I put you up on game