Nokia Lumia 1520 samples show off its 20-megapixel PureView camera
The 20-megapixel PureView auto-focus camera on the Lumia 1520 comes with a dual LED flash and protrudes just slightly on the back - not so much as to be in the way, but enough to make it clear to passers-by that it’s a serious cameraphone you’re holding. You can choose to capture full-res images along with smaller 5-megapixel images for quick social sharing. The handset ships with the Nokia Pro camera application that we first saw on the Lumia 1020 and it’s the same neat interface with dials for easy adjustments for white balance, manual focus, ISO, shutter speed and exposure.
It’s worth underlining that the Lumia 1520 is one of very few smartphones to support real lossless zooming. You can zoom in around 2x without actually compromising the image quality. Nokia has also promised bringing RAW image support for this handset so you can really get serious with your photoediting.
You also have plentiful options for video capture as you can pick between 1080p and 720p and supported framerates of 30, 25 and 24fps. How does it all look? Take a look at the images and video taken on the Lumia 1520 on a cloudy fall day. We've included both the full-res image as well as the lower-sized one, and that's why some images might take a longer time to load.
More popular slideshows
Nokia Lumia 1520 camera samples
1. hritikbhimani (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
:Lumia 1520 comes with a "single" LED flash" ....i think it comes with DUAL LED FLASH
anyways the samples looks crisp....waiting for a detailed comparo between this and xperia z1 's camera
while the z1 has slightly bigger sensor,nokia makes up for it with supersampling,better flash & OIS ....will be a great fight for the second spot behind lumia 1020 as the best camera phone
2. Victor.H (Posts: 406; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Absolutely, it's dual flash. We've now fixed this in the text.
13. MojoDojo (Posts: 82; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
When chosing aspect ratio 4:3, whats the maximum megapixels the camera will take pictures in?
29. TechCrazyedBoy (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
u got that right buddy...Oh yeah the Z1 and Lumia 1520 have the same MegaPixels...20.7MPs..
3. mousesports (Posts: 240; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
In pictures 13 and 14 ... how you switch from 5 to 19 MP so fast ... thats the same as 5 MP then because the girl in red is in the same position
7. MojoDojo (Posts: 82; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Are you saying that its the same file of the 5 MP picture because the girl in red is in the same position?
8. noler (Posts: 162; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
the Nokia Lumia 1520 simultaneously takes a high resolution 20 megapixel and creates a 5 megapixel picture.
10. cezarepc (Posts: 524; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Was about to post this.
Anyway, that feature is great. I wish my Lumia 925 has an option to simultaneously take an 8MP shot and an oversampled 3MP shot lol
12. MojoDojo (Posts: 82; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Megapixel count for the full res pictures depends on which aspect ratio you choose. I know 16:9 takes in 16 Mp pictures. Dont know about 4:3. Maybe you do?
20. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 294; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I can't any noticeable difference between any of the 5 and 19MP pictures, so you might as well use the 5MP mode and save the storage space with the smaller size pictures.
27. elitewolverine (Posts: 1195; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
It is because of the way it supersamples the picture. If you take just a 5mp picture, you are actually not utilizing the way it takes that 5mp from the 20mp one.
4. Kishin (Posts: 579; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Wow that's very good, as expected from nokia
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2273; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Pretty good! But the Z1 actually takes more detailed pictures! At least in daylight. Anyway, I think that 1520 and Z1 are the best devices 2013!
11. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2273; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
*Best overall smartphones* Lumia 1020 easily wins the cameraphone category.
24. cezarepc (Posts: 524; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
1020 is excluded. It's obviously the King of Camera phones lol. let me change that:
*best cameraphones excluding the 1020/808*
But best overall smartphones? That would be a long debate.
17. BorisAndrei (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
@PhoneArena You're device seems to be faulty. Well, judging from the video sample, the OIS seems not working. I hope you rectify this as this can greatly affect the review of this device. :))
22. chaosnightmare (Posts: 33; Member since: 20 May 2010)
Agree. WP8 could b smooth and simple but it sucks in apps, mods and customizations and since Nokia was bought by m$$ or something I doubt a nokia-pureview/android combo will ever happen
25. papss (unregistered)
I prefer it to be MySpaceless and more wp8
26. dratomic (Posts: 436; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
were free to dream. arent we?! btw if i could figure out how to flash a stable android rom on it i would defintly buy it,
33. shreyas.s666 (Posts: 80; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
Enough ! nokia won't go with android and we have enough devices with android.
19. maverick786us (Posts: 117; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
How much is the size of 20mp images produced by Lumia 1520?
23. papss (unregistered)
Nice pics... These samples are more detailed than my note 3 photos but don't look as nice as my 1020. I'll take one in red please
28. Edmund (Posts: 654; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I really don't trust phone arena camera samples when it comes to a Nokia product. Thank god there are other tech sites on the internet with which to compare the results.
30. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
too bad that older lumias lag with heavy camera processing because of the dual cores :(
31. papss (unregistered)
To bad the l1020 still produces the best pictures regardless of speed of processong. Also there's this app called burst on wp that takes fast photos.
32. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2365; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes... Amazing.. Release it already......