NVIDIA to make its own smartphones and tablets?
Building the devices themselves allows NVIDIA to control the features that will be on the slate while still making a high quality device that will sell for a low price. The first devices to be rolled out are expected to be 7 inch to 10 inch tablets that will come out in the May to June time period. Some models will have a regional brand on it while others will have the NVIDIA or Tegra name on it. The naming decisions come from the local companies. We should warn you to take this story with the proverbial grain of salt. If you're out of salt, some rice will do nicely.
source: Mobile-Review (translated) via UnwiredView
1. idroidequis (Posts: 103; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Kinda like what asus did with the laptop and desktop a few years back. Looking foward to a tegra device.
11. cezarepc (Posts: 586; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Project Shield (a Tegra device) sure is sweet. I want to see what kind of smartphone/tab they can produce.
15. cheetah2k (Posts: 859; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
To be honest, its about time that Nvidia started to do this. I handled a Tegra3 reference tablet made by one of Nvidia's hardware partners, and to be honest I wanted to put it in my bag and run.
The quality was top notch!
Nvidia have more than enough potential to build and sell their own devices just like Samsung.
2. MC1123 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
this would be nice! tegra chips are respectable and a good chip!
4. gravityron (Posts: 20; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
Rice? Huh? What does that mean? What does rice have to do with a grain of salt?
5. VJo003 (Posts: 335; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
Micomax & Lava as of today have customers in the budget phone category.
For high end products people opt for HTC, decision Samsung etc. If nvidia can get this right & flood the market with high performance & decently priced devices.... There is good probability of success.
10. IHateApple (banned) (Posts: 122; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
+10. If they make a smartphone variant of the Project Shield device, it would be great. 5 inch 720p screen, a low cost variant of Tegra 4, optimized stock Andoid 4.2.2 all for 200$(in India) would be great.
6. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
funny that nvidia is doing this because i actually said awhile back that qualcomm should make their own "snapdragon" smartphone series ...........i think it would be pretty dope if they make a powerful quadcore snapdragon phone with their own chipset inside it :)
7. joey_sfb (Posts: 3143; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
No custom skin please. Just a well tune device optimize for gaming and standard google services. We will add whatever we want later.
9. IHateApple (banned) (Posts: 122; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Optimized for gaming, standard google services, battery life, stability, fluid UI and high benchmark scores.
13. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 890; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Seriously why do you need high benchmark scores? I agree with everything you said but high benchmark scores? Only toddlers argue about who has the highest benchmark score.
12. cdgoin (Posts: 369; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Similar to the way they do some of thier video cards.. makes sense.
14. ZeroCide (Posts: 698; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Nvidia should develop x86 chips of their own