Microsoft clarifies Steve Ballmer's remark about 'modest' Microsoft Surface sales
Pocketnow which stated that Ballmer's use of the term "modest" was in reference to the supply and distribution of the Microsoft Surface tablet which is available only at Microsoft Stores and online. Microsoft says that Ballmer feels that the reception to the tablet has been "fantastic" which is why it soon will be found in more stores and in more countries. Considering the dollar amount that Microsoft is spending on promoting the tablet, you would expect it to be made more readily available through more retail locations.
In retrospect, it does seem to make more sense to use the m word in relation to the rollout of the tablet itself, especially in light of the absence of any actual sales figures. So we will go with Microsoft's explanation for now and wait for Microsoft's Q4 earnings report to see how well the Microsoft Surface RT has been selling.
source: Pocketnow, MicrosoftNews via WMPoweruser
1. metalpoet (unregistered)
2. Topcat488 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
All they have to do is ship a few less to their outlet stores, claim it's been sellouts everywhere, and count it up as the Apple shuffle. Wake-up Metalpoet, > Microsoft needs our help.
4. Topcat488 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
That way customers think that the "Surface is Hot".... Will run to the stores to get one... One of Apples old tricks... Supply and Demand- edited.
11. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Microsoft should have took APPLE's marketing team from APPLE when pushing the surface tablets...
16. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Why? For lies, misinfo, or using proprietary names for features already on competitors' products and claiming they are unique?
32. metalpoet (unregistered)
zzzz.....hmmm what? oh sorry Topcat, i really do love what Microsoft is doing with the surface. Its just the stupid politics that people are getting onto this guy for saying sale were modest, i mean if he isnt lying then whats the problem?
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If the Surface release had been a raging success, MS would be screaming about it. Modest is what it has been - not fabulous and not horrible. Just modest.
17. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
As expected. Limited outlets, young ecosystem, and folks saving money for holiday purchases. I would not be surprised if other RT tablets outsell it, much like how the GS3 outsells its sibling the Galaxy Nexus
9. MeoCao (unregistered)
there's a phone even better than wp8.5 available right now, and it's released today dude
14. Rydsmith (Posts: 325; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
The HTC One XXAKUJGIYHLS +++++
Seriously man...keep up.
21. MeoCao (unregistered)
Nexus 4 of course.
You can buy any JB phone and it is much better than anything MS can make. But Nexus 4 is the best of them all.
24. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
US aside, tell me about the Nexus 4 pricing in other countries. And what's so special about it? Best screen? No. Better sound quality? No. Rich recording? No. OIS? No. Specialized cam? No. Memory? Non expandable 16GB. Tell me one good reason (apart from those Apps gimmick) that makes it a better candidate than the 920. You are being blinded by something. N4 is just 'another' phone.
25. MeoCao (unregistered)
1. Design: it's a class above all the rest
2. Screen: 1 of the best, I haven't seen 920 so can't say but 920 screen is smaller
3. Camera is good only, if all you want is camera then you should buy something else.
4. it's the fastest phone, quad core S4 Pro against 920's dual core S4
5. Best OS in the market right now against a incomplete OS of 920.
Oh I know, for you 920 is the best and you don't care, so be it.
26. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
1. Your personal taste. From my perspective it looks dull.
2. L920 screen one of the best. I've read many, many reviews of N4 and 920, everyone praising it. N4 didn't come winning with flying colors. 920 has CBD layer as well, and everybody agrees that it's really great screen.
3. Not only cam, but Video as well. Many people need a good vid recording device. And it comes with rich recording, too.
4. An ignorant comment. Windows just doesn't need that much power at all. For starters try using single core 800Mhz Lumia and 800Mhz android phone. Any objection still?
5. Best is dependent on user. iOS best for simpletons, WP for business ppl and mainstream, Android for Geeks as well as mainstream. So yeah, everyone is best in their own ground.
Applies for you, android guy. Enjoy N4 :)
27. MeoCao (unregistered)
Haha, people are struggling to buy a N4, while L920 makes #40 best selling phone something at Best Buy.
It's not you and me, it's what people think.
31. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Oh my, do I see the crap analogy 'sales = awesome device'? A huge number of people still know little about wp os, my friend. There are hell lot of rumours floating around about wp. Also Nokia is unfamiliar name in the US.
Even nokia crashed the servers with 920 pre-orders in Aus, UK. And still many Nokia's faithful markets, are starving for the phone. Just see how good it holds its ground.
Poor nokia just facing a problem of more demand, less supply problem.
28. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Such a fan boy, you don't like anything windows yet spend your time shouting about android on every windows article. Is that to make you feel better about your choice? Trying to shove it down everyone's throat
Besides the n4 isn't anything to shout about in terms of design, plus what most talk about is the price the n4 is popular mainly due to price. It others nothing amazing but price
29. RobotMan (Posts: 141; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Did you said that you are secretly an Android user. But from the way you write, more like WP fan boy.
30. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Lmao no I'm neither unlike you lot I don't put myself in one camp. I like tech period
So because I diet sing the praises of the n4 on a Microsoft article I'm a wp fan boy......is that how it works now your only right if you say good things abo' but android on every article.....please get a grip
You ting its OK for him to slate wp8 and the 920 but if someone disagrees you brand them a fanboy
6. pongkie (Posts: 514; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
lol at Ballmer's photo... rawwwrr I'm a dinosaur!
12. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Is it just me or does Ballmer look like he's trying to use the force? Luke, the Surface is the best thing out there, buy it...
15. shuaibhere (Posts: 1959; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
junior staffs are giving explanation to CEO's speech...great MS!!!!!
19. ojdidit84 (Posts: 438; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
PA writers always put the most entertaining pictures of Balmer on their articles... I get a chuckle every time I see an article about MS or Windows Phone...
20. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
For some reason, Baldmer pics PA puts out looks either funny, scary, weird, or stupid while Cook and others look like Angels. Must be some grudge going on.
22. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1355; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
folks try to be positive there will be 2 types of tablet computers on the market
which are thye Apps only Running Tablet computers like th IPAD and Adroid and the new guy the windows RT OS tablets computers and the PC Tablet computer which is really like a laptop PC without a keyboard. PC Tablets can run full fledged Windows or
Linux desktop, Laptop, Sever Programs. the most Powerful one on the Market now are the Windows 8 OS Tablet computers. there are some tablet computers running
Windows 7 out there but they are not popular. I read that a company wants to put Ubuntu Linux OS on a tablet Computer this tablet will be a PC Tablet like windows 8 OS is now
23. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
I think you are confused. Windows Surface RT do not run full windows or legacy software, it only runs Windows 8 apps and Microsoft Office. What you are thinking of is Windows Surface Pro, which cost twice as much and is therefore a different type of tablet. The Windows Surface RT is very much comparable to the iPad and Android tablets.