Leaked Nokia slide shows life after Windows Phone 7.8
18 months of support for Windows Phone 7.8 which will last through the middle of 2014. For now, the update is called Windows Phone 7.x. No matter how many times Windows Phone 7 is updated until it reaches EOL status, there are a few things hardware-wise that it won't be able to match with Windows Phone 8, such as the latter's support for multi-core processors, a microSD slot on some models, the ability to receive OTA updates and NFC support to name a few.
At least with the updates to Windows Phone 7 happening until the middle of 2014, those who purchased their Windows Phone 7 device before the middle of this year on a two-year contract will be able to upgrade to a Windows Phone 8 model before the update well is all dried out for Windows Phone 7.
source: WindowsPhoneRussia, WindowsPhoneLive (translated) via WMPoweruser
1. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That's our Nokia! Providing support to even EOL devices long past what is expected!
2. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Oh my God!! Even the Nexus (S) gets only one and a half year of support!
4. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
So windows phone users no need to be upset afterall
5. megabok (banned) (Posts: 58; Member since: 03 Apr 2012)
I wonder if this update will also be available for my HTC HD7..
6. N6600 (Posts: 18; Member since: 17 May 2012)
According to tweet of Windows Phone Russia it will be. So we might be lucky to get it.
9. Mozarrt (Posts: 297; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
The only real thing I want is to choose the colors of individual tiles. Oh well, can't have everything.
10. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
That's Nokia for you :) .. Nokia Never disappoints when it comes to updates, None of the ODMs can match Nokia :)
11. BeInspired (Posts: 45; Member since: 21 Apr 2009)
My Lumia 900, I bought it from UK, and the date and time settings does not have automatic change function, I have to change it by myself when I arrive at each different country. Are there anyone having same problem with the phone? When it upgrade to Windows 7.8, will this feature get fixed?
13. snowgator (Posts: 3448; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
While I know Nokia will support their devices, if the slide shows 7.XX, then it is a system upgrade- not just Nokia. Hopefully that means everyone.
14. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
true this is not nokia, but windows doing the update so yeah should be for all devices
but does prove that when you think windows phone many associate it to nokia
21. snowgator (Posts: 3448; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Wow. Never even made the connection. +1 and a good catch.
24. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
True, but this is a Nokia slide, hence the indicator about Nokia Extras between 7.5 and 7.8
16. Credo (Posts: 721; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I only need the 7.8 update as fast as possible, i'm tired of waiting & waiting & waiting, my Cyan Nokia Lumia 900 would look so sexy with tiles all over my screen instead of just a few tiles with a black bezel at the right of the screen, please just release this update in a couple of days, then i already got my christmas gift,
22. snowgator (Posts: 3448; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
No doubt!!! My Focus S needs a face lift!!
Come on 7.8... I want to play.....
23. Credo (Posts: 721; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Actually, i have the app WP8 installed, do you know how many times i open it and set my Lumia 900 on table and look to it and say how sexy it looks with those new tiles ? :(