LG G3 - 40 Tips & Tricks for LG's most powerful smartphone ever
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9026; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The G3 sounds like a great device on paper, but the overheating issue when the brightness is set to 100% and battery life really disappointed me.
Tip 4 seems to be my favorite feature on LG's UI.
2. hung2900 (Posts: 822; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
And actually it's not LG's most powerful smartphone ever. Snapdragon 801 over 800 is minor, but G2 powers 1080p screen only. Powerful: G2 > G3
31. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Agree. I've seen a G3 couple of days ago and take several minutes to compare it against my G2. My conclusion is G2's display looks sharper and more accurate than the G3's (both are set to 50% brightness
32. Busyboy (unregistered)
G2 display looks sharper? You good?
33. LikeMyself (Posts: 309; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
More ppi doesn't mean more accurate or better calibrated screen! This craze for QHD screen over 1080p is pointless! They should instead perfect the screen quality and battery efficiency and perfectly balanced colors!
34. Busyboy (unregistered)
Alright, but did I say that? I said things look sharper on the G3 in comparison to the G2.
4. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
What overheating issue? I own the device...it gets warm like any smartphone, but does not overheat...
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9026; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Put the brightness to 100% for more than a few minutes and come back.
11. Brosepower (Posts: 35; Member since: 21 Apr 2014)
im doing that right now. There is no overheating. I have had it on 100% the whole day long.
21. Busyboy (unregistered)
You don't own the device do you? Slow down before you get ahead of yourself and stop compaining
29. rob5150 (Posts: 132; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
i agree, ive had the jg for 2 weeks now. heavy user here. hadnt had that problem at all. gets warm like any other device when used . i have played an hour of Asphalt 8 and no problems at all.
best phone ive had so far. the style. speed. functionality.
my last phone was the lg optimus g pro. running cyanogenmod. actually fastest phone around in terms of speed and zero lag.
6. marcski07 (Posts: 583; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
i like the tip 8, that's what i'm looking for, hope everyone should adapt such feature for big screened devices, so you can text on one hand and still have a solid grip on your device to avoid falling off of your hand or can be easily snatched by snatchers. :) they should really have that abc def keyboard format, also i hope it is re-sizable, so you can set it at the level of your comfort. If that will be a case, i'll be into big screened devices, 5" is too much already for me, don't want using my two hands out in the wilderness, only one hand for my handset, and one to protect my self. :D
12. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 965; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Tried one out today and i have to say congratulations to LG for the software, it looks very good and is snappy, but i didn't notice any actual sharpness benefit looking at my M8 side by side with it and i actually preferred the M8's screen. The Galaxy S5 has the best screen of all them three IMO it just looks absolutely stunning.
35. fzacek (Posts: 2302; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Ummm, you do know that Stock Android has that exact same feature as Tip 4, right?
3. Settings (Posts: 775; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
I just held a G3 earlier and I realized that this device was underrated. I mean the screen is GREAT, cam is good, sound is better than what I heard from guys here.
5. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yeah, I really like the quickcircle apps, saves on battery and is ultra convenient...
22. ikenvape (Posts: 69; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Absolutely it's a phenomenal device. Even with all the praise, it's a different story once you get in your hands.
9. avalon2105 (Posts: 115; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
Some great tips here but most of them are not G3 exclusive. Almost all of those features are available on G2 and G2Pro and even on some mid-range phones. Still it makes me want to install some G3 ROM on my G2 just for those couple of exclusives.
36. epdm2be (Posts: 185; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Tip 23: Make a multi-photo wallpaper
- Nokia had that in Symbian 2 yeas ago. Doh!
Tip 26: Adjust the Battery saver
- Even my ancient Galaxy S3 has that (not as elaborate but still...)
Some of these "tips" aren't really tips but things that have been around for awhile (like tip 7 and 12).
This is nice for new users on Android but otherwise it's space filler on this site.
39. joe23521 (Posts: 9; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
To be fair, they never claimed that these were all never-before-seen features. They're just great tips.
13. jeff327 (Posts: 65; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
My brightness is on 100% all the time. There are no overheating issues. None whatsoever. You really need to own the phone before talking about any features or problems. You cannot believe everything on the internet. That is unless you are dating a French Model.
40. joe23521 (Posts: 9; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
Agreed. Had the phone for over two weeks and have had no overheating issues whatsoever.
14. techloverNYC (Posts: 441; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Pretty sure I saw alot of the features on other phones as well. If we take away all the features LG G3 have in common with other phone, we will only have like 5 exclusive LG G3 tips.
15. jibraihimi (Posts: 696; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
+1 to all those guys, for clarifying about the overheating issue, which might be the rumour spread by the rival device makers........ Unless and until we dont try the device by ourself, we should not spread BS about them........
16. jellmoo (Posts: 724; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
What about switching to ART? That should help with some of the performance hiccups it has.
17. HerpDerpMapleSerp (Posts: 27; Member since: 07 Jul 2014)
The g3 is garbage. Overheats, battery life is worse than an iPhone, and the call quality sucks. Everything bad about a phone can be found in the g3. I just returned mine yesterday.
18. jeff327 (Posts: 65; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Funny how I have no overheating issues, batter life is better than my G2 which had the best batter life of any phone I ever had previously and the call quality is good but I have never had a phone where I thought the call quality sucks. Herp......If you really had one you got a lemon because these are not issue this phone has.
19. Brosepower (Posts: 35; Member since: 21 Apr 2014)
Yeah that is what I am thinking as well. There is no way that the call quality and battery life are as bad as you are saying they are unless it really is a lemon.
20. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1304; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Now I know you are talking out of your rear. I haven't owned a single phone with the battery life of the G2, and there is almost unanimous agreement with that assessment in the tech reviews. You know what else is almost unanimous? The reviews that say the G3 has mediocre battery life. There are not enough improvements on the G3 to positively affect battery life, combined with the giant boat anchor that is the QHD screen, for it to even be a fair comparison with the G2.
25. Skidro13 (Posts: 59; Member since: 27 Jul 2010)
Almost every site, including this one, has the G3 ranking in the top 4 or 5 in longevity.
23. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
Definitely best custom UI of any Android smartphone
24. Skidro13 (Posts: 59; Member since: 27 Jul 2010)
This was a very helpful article! I really love my G3, and glad I sold my HTC M8 to get it. It so cool that I got to switch to ART.
26. pslee (Posts: 39; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Writing this comment from g3. It's a great phone. There is a lag issue here and there but i would say LG will fix with a software. Battery life is not amazing but expected from a 2k 1440p phone. I would rather have a powerful phone eating up energy than having slow phone lasts 2 days. So far, i can say this phone is best android handset out there.
27. ecologer (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Jul 2014)
But most important - how to get rid of that oversharpening?
(Look it up on Google - LG G3 screen sharpening effect)
30. luis.d (Posts: 215; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
It's hiding inside the software kernel, so it's up to LG or adventurous modders to get rid of it. I don't find it irritating myself, it's just kinda weird having this halo around small characters.
38. KasiRawr03 (Posts: 9; Member since: 15 May 2014)
Hi Luis, thank you for the tips a lot of them were a great help! But there's something I can't seem to figure out. How to hide the home screen buttons and notification bar for the YouTube app. They don't disappear while watching videos so I can't exactly watch vids full screen. I've tried to hide them through the home touch buttons settings but I couldn't find YouTube app. Do you know any other solutions?
41. luis.d (Posts: 215; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Thanks! This app is a picky one. Try something out of this thread:http://forums.androidcentral.c
There are also root apps that claim to hide the nav bar and notification bar, but I don't know how well that'll work.
42. nottolate (Posts: 20; Member since: 01 Jun 2014)
They work. That's the very first thing I did with my G2 for extra screen space and went with pie. The drawback is it kind of makes you not wanna rush out and buy the G3 with the extra space on your G2.
28. ricethief (Posts: 8; Member since: 17 Jul 2012)
I have the G3 and it is my favorite phone so far. I was skeptical about the screen being overkill but, text is amazingly crisp and clean. I think people that read a lot on their phones will notice a huge difference.
I have ran into a overheating issue but, it was once and I have not had a issue since. I was trying to film some HD video outside on a 100°+ day and I had the screen brightness at 100%. It gave me a warning it was for the phone's protection turned the brightness to 90% and shut the camera off. I started the cam a few more times. It gave the warning again and shut the phone off entirely. I was able to turn it back on and use it right away. In the phone's defence it was a really hot day and the sun was shining directly on it during the hottest part of the day.
100% brightness kills the battery too fast. I run it at 80% now with auto checked. Get really great bat life, screen is still really bright and have had no problems. In all fairness 100% brightness with auto unchecked is ridiculously bright on the G3.
My only complaint about the G3 is I wish it were a little smaller. Still my favorite phone to date.
45. gigaraga (Posts: 1384; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Actually a pretty beast phone~ I picked up a demo and it was pretty awesome~ interface, design, display...this may be one of the best phones of 2014!
46. jshan (Posts: 199; Member since: 25 Dec 2011)
It's camera isn't that much good as it says !!
47. goldrush28 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Aug 2014)
I just changed the way my texts read from the usual list of texts to the optional bubble type of display.I don't like it and I can't figure out how to change it back.Has anyone done that yet?
48. samrg86 (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Sep 2014)
How can I set up to turn off g4/data automatically after I reach a wi-fi connection?
49. Bane14Baby (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Oct 2014)
I hate the message color scheme and haven't found a way to change it. Any tips?
52. zong15 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Nov 2014)
if you go into color adjustment from the accessibility menu you can change the hue. It will change the ugly yellow color but also changes the hue on the rest of the screens. I can't find a good way to just change the messaging either.
50. Bane14Baby (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Oct 2014)
@goldrush28 have you checked your message settings?
51. jubytmathew (Posts: 3; Member since: 11 Oct 2014)
Phone is getting heated. I mean screen while video recording and battery drains pretty fast.