Here's a beer glass designed to keep you from staring at your phone
The Offline Glass is supposed to "rescue people from the online world," saving them from slipping away to a world of texts, Words With Friends and Angry Birds from which they will never come back. By cutting the bottom of the glass so it will only stand up when placed on top of a smartphone, patrons of the bar staring at their phone have two choices. They can continue staring at their phone and have their frosty cold beverage spill all over the table. Or, they can use their smartphone to prop up the glass and keep it from tipping over. And if you're wondering about beer dripping down the side and destroying your phone, those behind it say that it is cut in a way to prevent condensation from dripping down the side of the glass when it is resting on your handset.
This is the sort of thing that might catch on at other bars and restaurants. Imagine forcing people to put down their smartphones to engage in a conversation with someone right in front of them. Why, it's blasphemy!
source: Telegraph, Vimeo via Gizmodo
1. Astro551 (Posts: 46; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
would like to see you try that on huawei ascend p6
*beer spills everywhere*
7. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Im pretty sure this wont work on a Galaxy Zoom user though. /s
3. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 204; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Yeah this is a pretty stupid idea. Not all phone are the same size, which can be a problem with the thinner phones that will come out in the future or the bigger ones like the Galaxy S4 Camera.
14. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 295; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I believe it's meant for us to get a kick out of but aside from all smartphones not being created equally, who in their right mind would use there expensive phone as a prop to hold anything up.
4. wando77 (Posts: 324; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Great till somebody knocks the table and spills beer all over you phone
5. Haesten (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
Great until you realize that you got two hands... :O
8. Genersis (Posts: 205; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Great until you realize you have a phone that can be operated with one hand.
6. chemhaz (Posts: 160; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Bring a pencil to stabilize the glass, or a couple of coins to leave behind as a tip.
9. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Feel sorry for the people who will continually be cleaning up beer spills. Would that be alcohol abuse?
10. roscuthiii (Posts: 1873; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Maybe I have a problem... it's easy to put my phone in my pocket, but putting my beer down? Not gonna happen. :-|
12. DrAnon (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
This may be the worst idea I've ever heard of in my entire life.
15. quakan (Posts: 1222; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Sorry, not using my phone as a coaster. Dumb idea.
16. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You are better off buying jammers from Raytheon. Face it H. sapien sapiens are in a sad state, when it comes to socializing, situational awareness, use of fermented drinks, and controlled substances.