Google rumored to be buying WhatsApp for $1 billion
There is no guarantee that a deal between WhatsApp and Google can be hammered out. Last December the two were said to be discussing an acquisition which never made it past the talking stage. At that time, Facebook was also said to be interested in the messaging app. Users of WhatsApp pay $1 for the service with iOS users paying at the time of download while Android users pay after a free first year. Not only is it the second most popular paid app in the Apple App Store, it carried an incredible 18 billion messages on New Year's Eve. Some estimates have the app pulling in about $100 million a year in revenue.
1. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Wow... But isn't a billion dollars too Much?
22. AnTuTu (Posts: 938; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Yes it is too much. I think its worth developing their own App.
40. saiki4116 (Posts: 358; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
Google will benefit from the existing subscriber base of What's app..
61. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Why start from scratch in the crowding world of similar apps
25. akki20892 (Posts: 3623; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
they will change some stuff in app and even name i guess.......!!!
34. omar300 (Posts: 183; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
google doesnt do that, they buy stuff for resource not for actual item.
55. akki20892 (Posts: 3623; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
let see what they do after own it......!!!
6. iushnt (Posts: 728; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Yaa apple have been doing this from the very beginning.. They innovated nothing, just bought licenses and companies and now other companies are doing the same way.. But it doesn't harm us.. :)
12. JunitoNH (Posts: 965; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Bought is a strong word, give it another try.
13. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
1.Acquire (something) by paying for it; buy.
They bought it, but Google did work hard on developing it.
28. sifusky (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
you think Android could of been what they are today without Google? Doubt it.
30. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
I don't think that at all, I never said that. Google has done an amazing job at branding and developing Android.
36. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Apple was actually founded by guys who made things that others didn't. Google's past? Stolen technology and purchased technology. Take off the rose-colored glasses, dude, your boys at Google aren't miracle workers or saints. If they were, they wouldn't pay the least amount in taxes of any of the top U.S. technology corporations.
46. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Well the two original Google guy's created the largest simple search engine through carefully calculated mathematical equations. It's amazing how Google has come from a little search engine with a cute multicolored logo to one of the biggest technology companies on Earth. It's the new Microsoft.
47. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And Stole whatever they couldn't buy ... for reasons not within their control.
38. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
More like,if you can't beat them. Buy Them!! xD
4. Taters (Posts: 3526; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Looks like the WP8 version will never be good. Not sure what this means for the bb10 version though. I wonder if they will rename it.
Google what's up? Or Google message? Or Google Messenger? Or Google SMS?
5. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
That's a large amount of money for WhatsApp, too much. If this is true, those developers must be happy. Very happy.
24. akki20892 (Posts: 3623; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
maybe unhappy for WP, because google are not allowing their apps on WP platform so if they buy whatsapp then for WP it's not good men.....!!! I hope google support their apps on WP soon.......!!! Evil Google, they r not seeing their users, but they r seeing WP users......!!!
35. hate_dc (Posts: 10; Member since: 26 Dec 2012)
bcuz window didnt bring also there apps in in play store...exmple microsoft office...and one more thing window the one who start the war by making news of malware in andriod os.
48. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
M$ pumping money into DELL to kill UBUNTU. Why not complain about that ?
52. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 167; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
WP could just put in a Virtual Machine to run Android apps. Problem solved. That could also put down another nail into Apple's iOS coffin. If every other mobile OS starts supporting Google Apps....
7. harsh_doshi (Posts: 36; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
if this happens ill gladly stop using whatsapp because I am sure it wont get updates on wp8(they don't see enough users) , on Symbian (a part time phone I still like it, and yes it still gets updates from whatsapp) and bb10 (not sure if they see users there) if they do buy it they would again make it only for just 2 platforms(ios and android). I am sorry but I am against this
14. JunitoNH (Posts: 965; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
I don't believe this story. Just about everything this app can do, Google Voice can do better, much better. GV UI is cleaner and more refine. Moreover, the integration with Android offer for a better experience.
51. tomn1ce (Posts: 103; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
yeah try sending a picture using GV let me know if it goes through.... -_- oh by the way GV is my main messaging app but the lack of this function is a pain on the @$$...
18. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4056; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
So instead of creating better services through innovation and originality, google insteads just buys them?
49. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Lol ... at least google fails in attempting to "STEAL blatantly" and then call it their own PATENTED technology ... any idea who is payin g who how much for that facetime or something :D
53. lovefist (unregistered)
do you know about Lala? apple bought it and after acquiring it, they shut it down so there will be no rival to itunes.
seriously dude, before posting troll or ignorant comments at other companies, look first at your beloved company.
21. a_tumiwa (Posts: 295; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Google has too many IM-like app, Google Talk, G+ Mobile Messenger, G+/Gmail Chat
23. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
whatsapp? never cared to use it, i cant be tied to my phone for chatting, skype is the only way for me and even blackberry is gonna have it so lets se who wins
32. a_tumiwa (Posts: 295; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
i believe there are more people use whatsapp than skype or bbm.
sometimes it`s not about who`s better, but how many people use it
54. lovefist (unregistered)
win? wth are you talking about, this ain't a race. more options for consumers = better.
29. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Next, they're gonna buy Instagram and Evernote.......... xD
59. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Twitter: Tweet! Wait, what am I doing here?
31. grahaman27 (Posts: 348; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
whatsapp is amazing, for it to become a google standard would be just as amazing.
41. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Wooohhhh Go Google !!!! that means Android users get whats app for free if google buy it....
44. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Its still free for android users.
60. SleepingOz (unregistered)
$1 after the first year.
45. Trex95 (Posts: 571; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Google buying whatsapp! and other sites mentioned that Facebook going to buy it?
50. iluvsmartphonexpdx (Posts: 48; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Google is bad...buying everything that stands in their way, first Youtube, now WhatsApp?
57. Shrihari (Posts: 79; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
Google takes something and makes it still better than before.....happy that google took whatsapp...hope its gonna see still more development in future...
65. Blazers (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Google hasn't bought whatsapp yet......where did you draw that conclusion?
63. dromon (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
NOOOOOO! I guess that would mean no more support for S40 devices which i use as backup phones. But better than facebook buying it i *shudder*
64. jeroome86 (Posts: 61; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Will they keep the same logo and app as is? If this happens hope they don't mess with it too much. If Facebook buys it probably stop using. Don't trust Facebook to much.