Google files to test "next-gen personal communication device"
1. squallz506 posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:27 2 1
i wonder if this is the google stereo system...
it is lacking a cellular connection after all. or maybe google is making an android media player...
19. MichaelHeller posted on 12 Feb 2012, 14:13 2 0
That's the first guess I can get behind! The Nexus Tablet would make sense.
2. itiswhatitis posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:28 3 0
out of guess right now........wow us google!!
9. Droid_X_Doug posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:55 14 1
One thing is for sure, Apple will claim that Google's new widget violates one of their patents....
10. squallz506 posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:59 1 0
true dat. and points for using the original definition of widget: "an unnamed article considered for purposes of hypothetical example".
4. warrenellis93 posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:37 1 11
phonearena is so late.... this story was on engadget a few days ago
6. protozeloz posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:41 4 0
I think is Android at home. It's supposed to be a medium between home appliances and your Android devices . It's unbelievable I found a magazine of 2000 with fridges that could tell what food is missing or running low washing machines that can control their own detergent and ovens that can sense when food is ready yet none have materialized as we wish they did
7. protozeloz posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:47 3 0
Also I think is no coincidence that the time goes around the time for the IO this could be the most exiting IO ever made if all rumors become true
8. biophone posted on 11 Feb 2012, 21:51 1 1
That stuff would be way to expensive and unnecessary. I think this has something to do with majel and some sort of communication aspects of it which is going to be better then siri? This is my realistic guess :).
14. Droid_X_Doug posted on 12 Feb 2012, 00:28 1 0
My guess would be Majel + Android (ICS?) as the brains/intelligence of a WiFi/Bluetooth hub of some sort that can drive similar Majel-compatible client devices. For example, Majel could turn on a Majel-compatible coffee maker at the requested time.
If I am right, you heard it on PA first. Although what I just described may be what protozeloz is describing above.
15. biophone posted on 12 Feb 2012, 01:28 0 0
Thats not going to happen way to unrealistic. Majel being able to change a television channel would be more realistic.
16. Droid_X_Doug posted on 12 Feb 2012, 01:51 1 0
Google has a bit of a reputation for pushing the bar up.... Don't be surprised if something like what I described is shown.
It may be too ambitious; then again, it might be spot on.... Michael did invite us to speculate if memory serves.
25. protozeloz posted on 12 Feb 2012, 14:53 0 0
I think the best chance to show Majel off would be the IO maybe is a bit more advanced
11. squallz506 posted on 11 Feb 2012, 22:03 2 0
i surely do not want my fridge oven and washing machine to conspire against me.
squallz506-"unlock the fridge IRIS, i promise it will be my last beer"
IRIS-"im sorry, squallz506 i cannot do that"
IRIS-"i think you know why squallz506"
24. protozeloz posted on 12 Feb 2012, 14:51 0 0
what is your washing machine gonna do you you? ashing whites and jeans together? using cheap detergent? :P
27. squallz506 posted on 12 Feb 2012, 15:27 2 0
it could flood my house with bubbles. no wait, that might be fun...
12. Mimsyborogove923 posted on 11 Feb 2012, 23:43 0 0
They had (maybe still have I don't know) a whole setup at Disneyland when I was a kid that was a whole "future house" with stuff like that in it.
22. MichaelHeller posted on 12 Feb 2012, 14:15 1 0
That doesn't quite fit as a personal "communication device" though
26. protozeloz posted on 12 Feb 2012, 14:58 0 0
it could be personal though, doesn't Google TV fits in that category too? maybe its some sort of Google TV android computer that serves as a medium it could be used around the house to help devices with stuff they couldn't perform without a backup
about the fridges and washing machines thing, found the magazines when picking up some garbage I had stored, brought back memories and wanted to share it would be cool (and possible with the current tech)
30. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Feb 2012, 09:28 1 0
maybe my idea of a "personal communication device" is limited, but in my head it would be a personal device with which the primary use is communication between people... like a phone, etc. That's why I'm not too sold on it being a device attached to Android@Home, or Google TV or even those HUD glasses
29. gkquiambao posted on 13 Feb 2012, 02:18 0 0
I think it is a Nexus version of the Galaxy Note. But this time with quadcore and wifi only