Google files to test "next-gen personal communication device"
1. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
i wonder if this is the google stereo system...
it is lacking a cellular connection after all. or maybe google is making an android media player...
17. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
how about google-X
18. theindianguy (Posts: 90; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
i think it's gonna be the nexus tablet.
19. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That's the first guess I can get behind! The Nexus Tablet would make sense.
2. itiswhatitis (Posts: 423; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
out of guess right now........wow us google!!
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
One thing is for sure, Apple will claim that Google's new widget violates one of their patents....
10. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
true dat. and points for using the original definition of widget: "an unnamed article considered for purposes of hypothetical example".
4. warrenellis93 (Posts: 108; Member since: 21 Jul 2011)
phonearena is so late.... this story was on engadget a few days ago
5. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
3d stereoscopic glasses free hologram cellphones!
6. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I think is Android at home. It's supposed to be a medium between home appliances and your Android devices . It's unbelievable I found a magazine of 2000 with fridges that could tell what food is missing or running low washing machines that can control their own detergent and ovens that can sense when food is ready yet none have materialized as we wish they did
7. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Also I think is no coincidence that the time goes around the time for the IO this could be the most exiting IO ever made if all rumors become true
8. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
That stuff would be way to expensive and unnecessary. I think this has something to do with majel and some sort of communication aspects of it which is going to be better then siri? This is my realistic guess :).
14. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
My guess would be Majel + Android (ICS?) as the brains/intelligence of a WiFi/Bluetooth hub of some sort that can drive similar Majel-compatible client devices. For example, Majel could turn on a Majel-compatible coffee maker at the requested time.
If I am right, you heard it on PA first. Although what I just described may be what protozeloz is describing above.
15. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Thats not going to happen way to unrealistic. Majel being able to change a television channel would be more realistic.
16. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Google has a bit of a reputation for pushing the bar up.... Don't be surprised if something like what I described is shown.
It may be too ambitious; then again, it might be spot on.... Michael did invite us to speculate if memory serves.
25. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I think the best chance to show Majel off would be the IO maybe is a bit more advanced
11. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
i surely do not want my fridge oven and washing machine to conspire against me.
squallz506-"unlock the fridge IRIS, i promise it will be my last beer"
IRIS-"im sorry, squallz506 i cannot do that"
IRIS-"i think you know why squallz506"
24. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
what is your washing machine gonna do you you? ashing whites and jeans together? using cheap detergent? :P
27. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
it could flood my house with bubbles. no wait, that might be fun...
12. Mimsyborogove923 (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
They had (maybe still have I don't know) a whole setup at Disneyland when I was a kid that was a whole "future house" with stuff like that in it.
22. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That doesn't quite fit as a personal "communication device" though
26. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
it could be personal though, doesn't Google TV fits in that category too? maybe its some sort of Google TV android computer that serves as a medium it could be used around the house to help devices with stuff they couldn't perform without a backup
about the fridges and washing machines thing, found the magazines when picking up some garbage I had stored, brought back memories and wanted to share it would be cool (and possible with the current tech)
30. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
maybe my idea of a "personal communication device" is limited, but in my head it would be a personal device with which the primary use is communication between people... like a phone, etc. That's why I'm not too sold on it being a device attached to Android@Home, or Google TV or even those HUD glasses
28. samiazza (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Plz Check this:
29. gkquiambao (Posts: 62; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
I think it is a Nexus version of the Galaxy Note. But this time with quadcore and wifi only