Foxconn insiders say Apple will release 4.7 inch and 5.7 inch Apple iPhone models this year
Additionally, both models will offer an undisclosed form of biometrics. This could mean that both models could feature the Touch ID fingerprint scanner embedded in the home button of the Apple iPhone 5s, or it could mean that Apple will be using an eye scanner. Apple last year released two versions of the iPhone last September, and considering the popularity of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phablet, the guys at Cupertino might just want to grab a piece of that action.
Back in November, a similar report said that Apple was working on a 4.7 inch and a 5.5 inch version of its iconic smartphone. According to this story, the display curves downward at the edges, and Apple will embed the glass with sensors that can tell the difference between a light or heavy tap.
Thanks, Anonymous Tipster!
source: CTechcn.com (translated) via GforGames
1. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Hmm finally they learnt how to innovate I see
9. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
A bit off topic, but I think that there is some news about HTC One 2 and Oppo Find 7 which I think where not noticed!
Date when Qualcomm's Snapdragon page on Wikipedia waslast time updated: 2 January 2014 at 14:03
Qualcomm's Snapdragon page on Wikipedia says that HTC One 2 will be using Snapdragon 805 (8084):
GOOD NEWS! ;P
16. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That's not very reliable at all, considering anyone can edit a Wikipedia page at any time. Also, it only says the Oppo Find 7 now.
18. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Others have overruned the S800 to max 2.5, i'm assuming you can push the S805 to 2.8...?
22. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Now it says only Oppo Find 7 and last modified date is 3 January 2014 at 02:43.
17. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Looking forward to see how it would look.
Hope it"s Quadcore and 720P
They also said, "it will use Sapphire glass" well if it does, that's even great, but i don't belive so.
Let's wait and see.....
62. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
just like you to troll a iPhone article
41. shahulvm (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
They will increase the screen size, call it "revolutionary" and charge you "expotentially".
45. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 206; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The larger screen size will be as about as popular as the 5c.
Apple fans don't like walking in Android's foot steps.
50. cripton805 (Posts: 1133; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
I'm not hating I swear, but I could really see them trying to push the phablet for like $1300+ for a 64gb.
no joke. Tell me not if you're an Apple fan.
The 4.7" 64gb will probably be $1100+.
If they get rid of the regular 4" at the same "low" price point, it would be a huge mistake. Note the quoted sarcasm there.
46. Doakie (Posts: 1531; Member since: 06 May 2009)
4.7" and 5.7" screen sizes are innovating now? Posted from my Note 3...
53. Ashoaib (Posts: 2670; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Hahaha... finally apple is on samsung's track... sammy, so called copy cat, is a trend setter... look who is following/copying now? Self proclaimed or ifools proclaimed "THE BIGGEST INNOVATOR in the WORLD"
54. wando77 (Posts: 507; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
By making phones the size of an s3 and galaxy note or by copying the rumoured eye scanner of the gs5? Or perhaps you mean the display that curves down at the edges like the one samsung demoed last year.......hmmmmm
2. promise7 (Posts: 541; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Curves downward at the edges seems horrible, interested to see how they implement this.
5. TBomb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
wider viewing angles maybe? Cant think of a reason for it...
3. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 209; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
The 5.7 inch would be overkill.
5.3 might be sweeter
12. Sreddy (unregistered)
i dont think you knw what a phablet is..
42. BlueMeBritt (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 May 2013)
LOL. FYI. The original Note has a 5.3 screen which started this phablet-craze.
52. MrKoles (Posts: 347; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
That´s the past. G2 is almost 5.3 inch but so compact. Phaplets this year are going to be between 5.5-6.5 I think.
6. TBomb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
didn't apple say that they were never going to make a big screen phone?
11. Commentator (Posts: 2723; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I think Stevie might've implied it once, but there was no official statement to my knowledge. He also said there would never be an iPad mini, and now it's their best seller.
44. ihavenoname (Posts: 1576; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Steve was great man, innovator, marketing and branding expert. iPhone and iPad were good-sized devices and especially iPad they still are. But when GS2/3 became insanely popular, people started to love bigger screens. Nexus 7 made the opposite thing with tablets.
7. Topcat488 (Posts: 1195; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I'll finally upgrade my iphone 4, to that lovely 5.7". Say goodbye to the one-handed phone operation boys... I'll be carrying around 2 phablets... Bring it on Apple. :) this and a Note 4.
43. Finalflash (Posts: 2074; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Not saying you are one, but that will be the classic fanboy behavior. Hate on everyone else for not having 1 handed operation and then completely go 180 on it when you're in the same boat. Apple definitely knows most of their crowd well, short memories and blind fanaticism.
8. apple4never (Posts: 1026; Member since: 08 May 2013)
didn't they say this was gonna happen last year?
13. Sreddy (unregistered)
and your source is?
14. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2485; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Just do a search, every year all these "insiders" come out of the woodworks and make big claims, and then the official release comes out and people are disappointed. Same thing happened with the Moto X, you were gonna be able to cherry pick the specs like on a laptop with MotoMaker and it was going to cost around $300-400 off contract. Didn't happen, and people were let down.
There have been rumors of a larger screen iPhone for years, at least a couple years before they did in fact put out a larger screen model, and even then it wasn't a 4.5" or 5"+ screen like the rumors had everyone believing.
What he's talking about was earlier this year before the 5s and 5c were announced. There were rumors of a iPhone 5s and an iPhone 6 with a larger screen, then it was an iPhone 6 with a larger screen and a cheap iPhone going for $200-350 off contract.
The only thing these "insiders" seem to be spot on in doing is getting attention and people's hopes up. Nothing is set in stone until the official press release. But, people want to believe.
27. nctx77 (Posts: 904; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Lol! If you mean last year as in 2013, yes. The larger iphone rumor has been around pretty much all through 2013, but no one never really thought it would be the 5s that gets it. It's been rumored for the iPhone 6 for a while.
10. bibekpachhai (unregistered)
If this happens, i will definitely buy an iPhone. Going from large screen like s3 to iphone 5s would suck.
24. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 409; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
Same! The only way I'd ditch my S3 is if they come out with a 5.7" model
15. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
apple take my money... And trow in an iwatch ..
19. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Apple would never do that, but if they did, why not. Just like the NOTE3, carriers gave away the watch for free, for the first 1000 pre orders
25. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Normally PhoneArenaUser rectifys...
Apple take my money:" and throw in an iWatch"
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Thank you I am at work typing this from an Android nexus 10 and doesn't auto correct jijiji
55. toiletcleaner (Posts: 223; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
Because you type like you are using a iPhone, the nexus 10 is a great tablet. but even the best tablet wont fix your human mistakes
61. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
How you finding using the Nexus10......? Galli
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Apple is having complications with their iWatch
21. Kishin (Posts: 695; Member since: 30 May 2013)
From iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 big time upgrade.
23. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
28. Kishin (Posts: 695; Member since: 30 May 2013)
What are u talking about??
Apple we #1 all we lack is large screen....
29. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
2,000$ for a 5.7" iphone damn. getting expensive there are we
31. Taters (Posts: 3846; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
This is hilarious. Now Apple has absolutely zero on Android now. Before they could cling on to being more compact and smoother but now Apple phones will be huge and iOS 7 stutters and glitch like crazy.
No more advantages.
33. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
My iP5s stutters and lags. They should've clocked it at 1.6GHZ than 1.3GHZ .
How stupid off Apple to clock it at 1.3. It finds it hard to push those extras on iOs7. iP5 was smooth. Hardly lagged, but never stutterd.
34. nctx77 (Posts: 904; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
It's called ios 7.1 playa! Read about it. And to be quite honest, only the ipad version and 4s and below really lags an crashes. The iPhone 5 and 5s are fine.
64. Taters (Posts: 3846; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
My iPhone 5s stuttered worse during the update. You could fix it with reduce motion but I want at least the same amount of animations as IOS 6, not less.
36. _KIRA_ (Posts: 19; Member since: 25 Dec 2013)
What's this? I thought apple didn't like "Hummer phones"
39. nate358 (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Dec 2013)
And it would be nice for Apple to support Wifi calling on T-Mobile like Android and Windows.
40. xfire99 (Posts: 594; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Before all iUsers laughing about android biggy screens and 3,5" is optimal.
Time to change name to iMate.
47. willard12 (Posts: 1081; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Black borders in apps coming soon. Unless, you buy the "phablet optimized" version of the app.
48. roozbeh101 (Posts: 89; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
hmmmmm, we have +5" displays already ! if they love +5" displays why they stick with 4" or 3.5 ??? just because it's apple??! I remember fanboys callin s note a huge usless thing! buying iphone 5.7" means they don't even respect their own opinion! buying whatever has an "i" behind it! man it is too easy to kill'em all ! selling iguns or iFRAGs to them they'll buy and the IQ level of the whole society will raise about 76% !
49. boosook (Posts: 1211; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
4.5-4.7 is now the minimum decent size for a smartphone, so it seems obvious to me that Apple will release an iphone with a bigger screen. 4 inches have become too small. 4.7 could be the perfect compromise between screen size and pocketabiliy, if well realized (i.e. with almost no bezels, see the Moto X).
And you know what? Apple users, after having been forced to say that 4'' was the perfect size for years, will be so happy to upgrade to a decent screen size that the iphone 6 will sell like hot cake.
The next iphone will probably be like the Moto X! :-)